Corvette Hybrid DOHC

When the new Corvette came out I thought what it really needed was a DOHC turbo engine to be a real supercar, it looked like it was built with hybrid in mind well it appears the 5.5 Blackwing has found a home. This is a whole new level.

600 lb ft of torque from an NA 5.5L V8? Yeah I know you can get 100+ hp/L from a DOHC, but not that much torque :cautious:

Still glad to see another flat place DOHC V8 though :)

That's it in a nutshell! Not only will this compete with the exotics you can buy one for you and one the wife and get change.

600 lb ft of torque from an NA 5.5L V8? Yeah I know you can get 100+ hp/L from a DOHC, but not that much torque :cautious:

Still glad to see another flat place DOHC V8 though :)

Prob the electric motor(s) adding a lot to the torque # - they make 100% torque from 0 RPM and make a boat load of it.

Prob the electric motor(s) adding a lot to the torque # - they make 100% torque from 0 RPM and make a boat load of it.

That wasn't clear in the table on the Motor1 site

The second line 2022 isn't marked hybrid

motor1 said:
Model YearEnginePower (est.)Torque (est.)Likely Application
2021LT2 6.2-liter 16-valve OHV490-495 hp465-470 lb-ftRHD Corvettes for export
2022LT6 5.5-liter 32-valve DOHC650 hp600 lb-ftCorvette Z06
2023LT2 6.2-liter 16-valve OHV hybrid600 hp500 lb-ftCorvette Grand Sport
2024LT7 5.5-liter twin-turbo DOHC850 hp825 lb-ftCorvette ZR1
2025LT7HP1 5.5-liter twin-turbo DOHC hybrid1,000 hp975 lb-ftCorvette Zora

That seems absolutely amazing. I'm not sure they can do it cheaply, but I'm sure it will be awesome fast. From what I read, the hybrid "stuff" will all be up front, possibly taking up some or all of the current storage area. It will be complicated, that's for sure.

But as always, as time goes on and my income increases ever so slightly, the high end Corvettes remain forever out of reach. The speculation is that the 600HP hybrid version will retail at almost $90K.

I'm kind of surprised they did not go with a BMW i8 type setup, with epic electric drive and a small, high output gas engine.

Out of the models on the list, the 2024 ZR1 is most appealing to me. Something about 850 hp TT without the hybrid stuff.

Reactions: 4WD
Out of the models on the list, the 2024 ZR1 is most appealing to me. Something about 850 hp TT without the hybrid stuff.
Indeed … the one time you’d want to follow Scotty Kilmer‘s instructions is at the start of the video !

I'm kind of surprised they did not go with a BMW i8 type setup, with epic electric drive and a small, high output gas engine.
The i8 is drop dead gorgeous, but it is hardly a super car. A friend has the roadster version, over $160K.
The 3 cylinder engine makes the car balanced, but Supercar power is just not there.
Engine sounds play through the radio. Depreciation is horrid.
You will get a lotta looks, however. Debbie loves the car.
I think BMW is building another one with much more power.

That wasn't clear in the table on the Motor1 site

The second line 2022 isn't marked hybrid

I don't think the 5.5 DOHC will make 600 lb*ft torque, probably more like 470-475. I've been rooting for 650 hp, though. If they can get 410 lb*ft at 8000 rpm, that would be 625, so it would be in the ballpark. If they make less than 650, people will think they're going backwards from the C7 Z06.

I have been watching IMSA races all year, where they are running the C8R with the 5.5 DOHC flat crank engine. I hate it. It emits an annoying buzz for an exhaust note. I think GM is trying to emulate Ferrari with the flat crank engine. That's just wrong. CORVETTES SHOULD THUNDER, NOT BUZZ. Put a crossplane crank in that thing.

If the aftermarket tuners can develop a supercharged small block package with 650 hp, they could sell a lot of them. GM has left a hole in their engine lineup.

The idea of electric motors driving each front wheel and a mid engine driving the rear wheels makes for a potent, really fun car to drive.
Once you have experienced the "right now" flat torque curve of an EV it leaves ICE cars lagging.
It sounds to me like GM designed the new Vette with the future in mind. Well done.

Heck, look at the i8. It has a 3 cylinder 1.5L engine producing a whopping 228 HP. Yet the front motors enable 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds I believe.

Back