Motor Trend: DOHC LT6 Engine in 2023 C8 Corvette Z06: Details and Power.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Motor Trend: DOHC LT6 Engine in 2023 C8 Corvette Z06: Details and Power.

"Oil is life and to an engine designed for hard road course life a robust oiling system is of upmost importance. In this area, the LT6 engine learned a lot from it's C8.R race-bred cousin. Each piston pair is hermetically sealed off from the other pistons so that the air under the pistons simply back and forth with minimal losses from pumping. The six-bay oil pump, that runs the length of the LT6, scavenges each bay, along with the cylinder heads, and takes 14 hp to operate. The system uses 10 quarts of 5W50 and the rather large cooler is housed in the driver side rear intake. According to Chevrolet track day temps should stay around 250 to 265 degrees."

Last edited:
Oil is life and to an engine designed for hard road course life a robust oiling system is of upmost importance. In this area, the LT6 engine learned a lot from it's C8.R race-bred cousin. Each piston pair is hermetically sealed off from the other pistons so that the air under the pistons simply back and forth with minimal losses from pumping. The six-bay oil pump, that runs the length of the LT6, scavenges each bay, along with the cylinder heads, and takes 14 hp to operate. The system uses 10 quarts of 5W50 and the rather large cooler is housed in the driver side rear intake. According to Chevrolet track day temps should stay around 250 to 265 degrees.
14 HP? What is the average V8 oil pump loss? 6-8?

Fascinating. 10qts, good thinking.

All that complexity ......460 lb-ft of torque at 6,300 rpm - that part's a step back.

Not sure how I feel about it yet.

At this point the best thing about may be that the journalists that cover may finally **** about it.

All that complexity ......460 lb-ft of torque at 6,300 rpm - that part's a step back.

At this point the best thing about may be that the journalists that cover may finally **** about it.
Peak numbers don’t tell the whole story, and this particular engine isn’t meant for the…. “Average” corvette buyer who’s going to baby it and putz around town in it. It’s for the people who want to track it and drive it like it owes them money.

I looked for this as well but haven't found an answer yet. I wonder if it will have it's own spec or if they'll use something like you mention, already on the market.

That 5-50 jumped off the page! So did 10-quart capacity as well. Big sump ='s comfort for me ;)

they had to do something

stuffing a heaton inhaler wasn’t going to work in the new chassis. the power output of the old LS7 is pitiful, there’s no mystery why they didn’t try to make a gen v version

Last edited:
Guess I've led a sheltered life. This thread is the first time I've ever heard of a 5W50 oil, didn't know it existed.

Couldn't agree more. Isn't part of the allure of a GM/Corvette the torque punch from down low.

1996 called... the Northstar is on Line 2 on Ms. Barra.

Couldn't agree more. Isn't part of the allure of a GM/Corvette the torque punch from down low.

1996 called... the Northstar is on Line 2 on Ms. Barra.

I'd have rather seen an 632 big block. Chevys latest crate motor makes 1000 ponies from a 4 barrel would put this thing on the trailer.

The gods of fun are taking all the good stuff away from us....

The whole flat plane crank thing is overrated.

Man the NB & jean shorts crowd is really upset about this, huh?

TECHNOLOGY IN MY CORBETE NOW ITS JUST A NOTHER FIX IT AGAIN TONY I TALIAN CAR BRING BACK THE BBC

Who cares what those guy think, or guys that get all excited about a mill that put out less than your average soda jerks Chevelle.

Back