New supercharged Corvette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Only 104hp/L even with a supercharger? What garbage! Honda beat them long ago! hurrrr GM can't even beat that in 2015, GM can't even into OHC durrr stuck in the cretacious period! My CRV has pretty good resale value!!!
lol.gif

hahah jk jk

very nice job!

I like this part “Torque is the pulling power of an engine and the LT4’s abundance of it at every rpm in the engine’s speed range helps the 2015 Corvette Z06 accelerate quicker and respond nearly instantaneously,” said Jordan Lee, chief engineer for Small Block engines. “It’s the very definition of power on demand.”

That meaty torque courtesy of Direct Injection, what's been like a renaissance for stock SBC performance.
thumbsup2.gif

My M3's 4.0L NA V8 is doing 103.5hp/L, and that's assuming you trust the conservative power rating. If you go based on what actual owners dyno, it's more like 109hp/L.

Though I do somewhat agree. Even with a mild tune, the supercharged Audi 3.0TFSI V6 is doing 135hp/L. The more aggressive but still streetable tunes are doing 150hp/L+ with nothing else other than an exhaust.

I think the really impressive thing about the corvette motor is its power to weight and physical size. 109hp/L is impressive NA, but would 600hp made that way fit under the hood or be light enough not to ruin the handling?

The 2014 Shelby GT 500 5.8L puts out

662 @ 6,500 rpm
Torque 631 @ 4,000 rpm
3845 lbs
Bases at $55,110 Loaded $69,650
15/24 mpg EPA estimated (6 speed Tremec manual)
0-60 4.0 Top Speed 200 MPH

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I think the really impressive thing about the corvette motor is its power to weight and physical size. 109hp/L is impressive NA, but would 600hp made that way fit under the hood or be light enough not to ruin the handling?

600hp NA? Well, that's going to be a stretch for OHV, 2 valve hardware, but it would certainly be lighter if it did. Think about it, delete supercharger+intercooler and associated piping, lighter piston/rods etc.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
600hp NA? Well, that's going to be a stretch for OHV, 2 valve hardware, but it would certainly be lighter if it did. Think about it, delete supercharger+intercooler and associated piping, lighter piston/rods etc.

It COULD BE (and HAS been) done on LSx engines without breaking a sweat, and once everyone figures them out, on the new LTs as well, but, yes, NOT while also satiating the; EPA, and C.A.R.B. Nazis.
mad.gif

The C5/6R 7 liter NA engines would make upwards of 900 rwhp if they were allowed to run un-restricted inlets, and tuned for such.
wink.gif
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Ok, this is the new ZO6; do they have plans to bring back the ZR1 with even more power??

I kind of wished that they would have kept the Z06 code/designation NATURALLY ASPIRATED, and shot for ~575 rwhp, while lightening the C7 platform to >2800 pounds.
But I am guessing this would have entailed a VERY large, NOT emissions (or street driving) friendly cam which would have to be wound out to over 7500 revs, and would lose some of that crazy low rev torque even with variable valve and induction timing.

Hopefully the ZR1, if it is ever realesed, will shoot for > 725 hp, but as hattaresguy has stated, this is pretty much wasted with RWD and street tires which will fit under the C7's fenders/wheelwells.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Cool car.

But the Porsche will still munch it with acceleration because its AWD.

GM's right at the limit of what RWD can do HP wise, I bet that car is a handful on anything but warm dry roads.

Ferrari and Mercedes are in the same boat, which is why all the new AMG's are AWD.

GM needs to spend some money on the Corvettes transmission as well, they need a dual clutch like the PDK. Now they are pricing them around the $100k mark which is still a bargain but they need to update some of their running gear.

NOT!

While the awd drivetrains can come hard out of the hole they are easily whipped from a roll on. This is where most 'contests' take place, and the new ZO6 is more than competitive.

GM also offers the amazing 5 (or more) position traction/stability program as well. All the way from "never even slip" to completely off ("you're crazy") settings, it makes the car perfectly manageable no matter the conditions if you use it properly.

All the new AMG's are overweight pigs on the track. Great everyday road cars, great in the rain, etc. But devoid of any really sharp responses and not even in a comparable class to the ZO6.

GM does not want or need a dual clutch. Not a single one could be fitted to the rear location needed for the Vette. They make some of the most sophisticated and (in this case) fastest shifting slushboxes in the world. They have completely proprietary tech in them, unavailable at any other carmaker. At least the equal of the ZF-sourced 8 speeds that BMW, Jaguar, Bentley, etc. all use.

I'll take that Vette over some German hyper performing whale any day!

Sure Ok, whatever you beleive. I have driven an honest 900hp Z06 and its what I would call "lively". Its pretty common knowledge that AWD is more user friendly on the road where cars are driven than RWD when you start cranking up the ponies, also in conditions that cars see...like snow and rain. Which is why pretty much all high end and performance cars are heading that way. I was just pointing out that this HP war is kind of silly.

Why do you always have to jump down my throat if you don't agree with me?

Last edited:
And here we are complaining about "merely" 600 reliable horsepower from a "old-school" pushrod V8, albeit with aftermarket parts. 30 years ago that would have been not even in somebody's pipe dream. Isn't progress grand?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Sure Ok, whatever you beleive. I have driven an honest 900hp Z06 and its what I would call "lively". Its pretty common knowledge that AWD is more user friendly on the road where cars are driven than RWD when you start cranking up the ponies, also in conditions that cars see...like snow and rain. Which is why pretty much all high end and performance cars are heading that way. I was just pointing out that this HP war is kind of silly.

Why do you always have to jump down my throat if you don't agree with me?

Sorry if you feel jumped on, I simply rebutted your points with mine. Expecting us to all agree with your blanket statements is unlikely on a forum this large. No malice here, but the facts are in direct conflict with your statements. Many Vettes rarely see snow and some are pure Garage Queens ( I buy those!).

I have track time in quite a few Vettes. I repeat that if you have the PTM controls set correctly you cannot hardly spin a tire or even slide the car at all. If you turn them off then you deserve to get a "handful" of car!

Originally Posted By: Shaman
Originally Posted By: Clevy
SteveSRT8 said:
I wonder why they are using a supercharger instead of turbos for boost?

Packaging seems most likely, but lack of user adjustability is probably another one.

Please be more careful with the quoting feature, as this ^^^ is quite misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back