Motor Trend: DOHC LT6 Engine in 2023 C8 Corvette Z06: Details and Power.

Yeah most will not track it ever, a few will go once. They will spend way more for this ZO6 and have less torque during most of their driving.

I wish they would have just done the 6.6 liter crank, ported heads and a warmer cam for the Z06 and priced it a little less. It would still be torque city, simple, reliable, and what everyone interested in a Vette expects. They could have it an easy 550hp at 6.6 liters n/a pushrod style with parts they already have.

There was a bunch of power left in the old design with a new set of heads and bump stick.
620 was easy to get with a pretty tame idle out of new heads and a bumpstick.

I wish they would have just done the 6.6 liter crank, ported heads and a warmer cam for the Z06 and priced it a little less. It would still be torque city, simple, reliable, and what everyone interested in a Vette expects. They could have it an easy 550hp at 6.6 liters n/a pushrod style with parts they already have.
it’s a z06

poor people need not apply

Sure, if emissions are not a concern

I've never seen one fail a california smog check. Typically modded rigs fail the "visual inspection".

Guys buying high end rigs most often pay the guzzler fee (which the vette avoided a long time and may still) and have little interest in saving manatees.

I've never seen one fail a california smog check. Typically modded rigs fail the "visual inspection".

Guys buying high end rigs most often pay the guzzler fee (which the vette avoided a long time and may still) and have little interest in saving manatees.

That's not really the point, GM has to get the car through federal emissions in order to sell it.

That's not really the point, GM has to get the car through federal emissions in order to sell it.

Im pretty sure its a two part issue with lifespan being sacrificed to get the desired emission.

What happens with really high performance 2 valve smog engines is you end up with steep ramps to get lots of lift in a short time, long duration, then slam them shut and you end up with mills that are hard on valves, guides and springs.

You may get to the end of a 3 year warranty, but getting to 5 is going to cost them a bunch of money as you'll need to pull the heads and do the guides, or you may grind lifters flat.

You can fix a bunch of this going to a bigger mill, or allow a bit more overlap, but overlap equals emissions.

Last edited:
I meant grind lobes flat - wasting lifters becomes thing as well.

... and thats really great for the what 3% of guys that have or ever will be on a track?

Speaking of the track ....It will be interesting to see what its comparison time is against an ACR.

On the street its gonna have its tail between its legs when a guy that spent some dough on a lingenfelter engined vette shows up.

The straight-line only guys are all into plaids now.
This makes no sense and you know it … this engine will evolve but no need to over-stress it now …
Car companies race to sell cars … Exotics sell cars to race. It’s a Chevy …
BTW: Check the displacement limit on these engines …

Last edited:
This makes no sense and you know it … this engine will evolve but no need to over-stress it now …
Car companies race to sell cars … Exotics sell cars to race. It’s a Chevy …
BTW: Check the displacement limit on these engines …

Not following you?

Agreed they want some room to grow so they aren't going to front end it.

Sure in racing you have to fit into brackets and or engine sizes,

I'll check the vid out...

Not following you?

Agreed they want some room to grow so they aren't going to front end it.

Sure in racing you have to fit into brackets and or engine sizes,

I'll check the vid out...
IMSA limits size … so they’ll play with this lighter 5.5L on/off track in the upper offerings …
The 6.2L is certainly more affordable street power and hopefully remains in the GS etc …
Some are not going to like a Vette sounding like a Stihl 😷

IMSA limits size … so they’ll play with this lighter 5.5L on/off track in the upper offerings …
The 6.2L is certainly more affordable street power and hopefully remains in the GS etc …
Some are not going to like a Vette sounding like a Stihl 😷

The last flat plane crank car I drove was this gt350R.

Totally laugh out loud fun - but a buzz box, long freeway trips would suck.

I hope chevy gets that part squared away.

I'm not hung up on sound.

Attachments

• 654DB71A-D9D5-4087-8D1C-E682D6691A48.jpeg
    654DB71A-D9D5-4087-8D1C-E682D6691A48.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 4WD
All that complexity ......460 lb-ft of torque at 6,300 rpm - that part's a step back.

Not sure how I feel about it yet.

At this point the best thing about may be that the journalists that cover may finally **** about it.
Yep. I'm up to my eyeballs with dismay about how auto enthusiasts are pissing their pants about flat-plane cranks. I'm really tired of hearing about them, and every time I argue with some such enthusiast, they accuse me of being against "new" technology. Then I point out that flat-crank V8's go back to the 1940's (Ford GAA), and were in every Cosworth DFV built since 1967.

"Yeah, but, even breathing from bank to bank." I can point out plenty of 2-plane crank V8's that also make 2hp per cubic inch. It's a matter of proper intake manifold design.

I think the flat crank thing in the LT6 is more a matter of positioning the Z06 in the market to be a 1/3 cost Ferrari. I think that's a mistake on their part, but it's their company. My opinion is that Corvettes should THUNDER, not buzz. When GM started racing the C5 at LeMans 20+ years ago, the Europeans loved the thunder of the 6.0L engine. It's what made the Corvette so American.

Yep. I'm up to my eyeballs with dismay about how auto enthusiasts are pissing their pants about flat-plane cranks. I'm really tired of hearing about them, and every time I argue with some such enthusiast, they accuse me of being against "new" technology. Then I point out that flat-crank V8's go back to the 1940's (Ford GAA), and were in every Cosworth DFV built since 1967.

"Yeah, but, even breathing from bank to bank." I can point out plenty of 2-plane crank V8's that also make 2hp per cubic inch. It's a matter of proper intake manifold design.

I think the flat crank thing in the LT6 is more a matter of positioning the Z06 in the market to be a 1/3 cost Ferrari. I think that's a mistake on their part, but it's their company. My opinion is that Corvettes should THUNDER, not buzz. When GM started racing the C5 at LeMans 20+ years ago, the Europeans loved the thunder of the 6.0L engine. It's what made the Corvette so American.

This guy did a great job of articulating it....

"But here’s the thing. My wife’s minivan has a flat-plane crank. The mail truck that delivered my delinquent HOA bill this morning has a flat-plane crank. Every ricer that ever put a fart can on his Civic has a flat-plane crank. Even my three-year-old daughter’s bicycle has a flat-plane crank. Mind you, this is a machine so fierce that only training wheels can harness its fury. How is it possible that these flat-plane-crank-equipped technical marvels somehow flew beneath the radar? That’s easy. Before “flat-plane crank” became a sexy new catchphrase, no one cared if an engine’s crank was flat, quasi-flat, semi-flat, kinda flat, or not flat at all."

Its marketing buzz right now BFD.

I know a guy that creates his own engines from billet blocks and does custom firing orders and I asked him outright why not flat plane and his remark that he already tried it and it didnt buy him anything by the time he damped out the vibration elsewhere. Ina race car where you dont care about that stuff it might buy you a little, but in anything you have to spend significant hours in - it stinks.
The GT350R is like this - awesome for a blast in the canyons, but supper buzzy when you are winding it.

To me this one of those subject that have gone on forever like the 4/7 firing order swap.

I get the same flack for my preference of large vs high winding.

Like you said the vette guys are shooting for the ferrari hp/L benchmarks.Which is admirable, and very cool, just not as cool to me as huge super well balanced mills that pump out tons of TQ everywhere starting at idle.

If the flat plane multi valve mill gave me that power curve Id like it better, but it doesn't.

This isnt a this one is great and that one sucks thing for me - they are ALL super cool and fun. I just have a preference.

Probably the best thing about this new ZO6 will be relieving some demand pressure on the regular C8. They might even be instock by the 2099 model year.

Probably the best thing about this new ZO6 will be relieving some demand pressure on the regular C8. They might even be instock by the 2099 model year.
Still haven't seen a 59K C8.......

Back