2020 Corvette C8: 18 July 2019 Reveal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's interesting about that new Cadillac Blackwing Twin Turbo V8 is that it's built at the Corvette factory in Bowling Green. Now Cadillac says the Blackwing V8 will be Cadillac only - no Chevrolet/Corvette.

https://www.motor1.com/news/313842/cadillac-blackwing-engine-brand-exclusive/

I'd guess the Corvette C8 gets a similar TT V8 eventually (Z06?), but not exactly the same. Maybe larger displacement? Bigger turbos?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
To me that the best looking Vette yet, if they can put a flat 6 or 8 twin turbo with a short stroke and big bore in it all the better.

The buzz says a twin turbo V8 is in the works. Odds are it'll be a 6.2 but at least it has a large bore and a shorter stroke!

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
To me that the best looking Vette yet, if they can put a flat 6 or 8 twin turbo with a short stroke and big bore in it all the better.

The buzz says a twin turbo V8 is in the works. Odds are it'll be a 6.2 but at least it has a large bore and a shorter stroke!

Its time for the push rod engine to disappear from this car IMO, its a 20th century primitive engine that has no place in a supercar. The problem will be the driver, most people cant drive a hyper car no matter how many nanny gizmos they put in it.

Finally! Bringing it into the 21st century with a mid-engine, there is hope for GM yet. Looks great!

+1,000

Originally Posted by PimTac
Is GM doing this to compete with the Toyota Supra? If so they've already lost in the styling department.

Naw. Supra (aka detuned BMW Z4 coupe) isn't in the same league as the Vette.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Is GM doing this to compete with the Toyota Supra? If so they've already lost in the styling department.

Naw. Supra (aka detuned BMW Z4 coupe) isn't in the same league as the Vette.

Some people like cars that look good, others prefer a box on wheels.

Read the statement again. If anyone thinks a El Camino rear end with a Pontiac style front end looks good then that's their opinion and prerogative. Power was not what was being compared.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not that long ago the competition complained Corvette Racing had an unfair CG advantage with pushrod mills … and internally the Caddy engineers waited for a Vette hand me down rocker.
All moving fast. I'd say in 5 years there will be 3 GM brands and maybe that's a good thing:

https://autoweek.com/article/imsa/c...op-klauser-all-about-growing-brand-sport

A mid engine supercar puts it into a whole different class and if they can price it right (not cheap) they will without a doubt have a real worldwide winner on their hands.

SteveSRT8 said:
Its time for the push rod engine to disappear from this car IMO, its a 20th century primitive engine that has no place in a supercar.

I love turbocharged engines! However, we do need to give credit where it's due. Chevy and Caddy have been winning the most high profile of races with their detuned (downsized and de-rated) Chevy small blocks.

The pushrod V8 has fantastic power to weight, instant response, great BSFC numbers under load, is extremely reliable and, quite simply has a set of characteristics that make it a winning choice.

Heck, the 12 hour Sebring race was 1-2-3 Caddy. The 24 hour at Daytona was 1-2 Caddy. Both with 5.5L LT4 Chevy engines.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not that long ago the competition complained Corvette Racing had an unfair CG advantage with pushrod mills … and internally the Caddy engineers waited for a Vette hand me down rocker.

They are still complaining, and requiring ever smaller displacement from pushrod V8's, so "they" can compete.... That says a lot.

For those who have never experienced owning a well tuned, really large displacement V8, it's a true pleasure. Smooth, reliable, and wonderful power, right now.

Last edited:
To me that the best looking Vette yet.

So you like black and white speckled paint jobs ?

Originally Posted by Treadstone
Looks like an Acura NSX...

I thought that also. I liked the original one but the current iteration is a hybrid. At least with the new vette it has a proper V8. I like the front end and side profile. I do see some resemblance to a Lambo from the front which is another positive imo.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

C7 is obsolete.

Not really, as there are a lot of people that will never buy a Corvette as long as it isn't available in manual, so the C7 could be the last generation a lot of people will go for. Also, for people that like to take long road trips and carry a lot of cargo, the mid engine car won't suffice. That's why I'm keeping my C7, it's the perfect car for when we start spending our winters down in Florida.

Originally Posted by Cujet
SteveSRT8 said:
Its time for the push rod engine to disappear from this car IMO, its a 20th century primitive engine that has no place in a supercar.

I love turbocharged engines! However, we do need to give credit where it's due. Chevy and Caddy have been winning the most high profile of races with their detuned (downsized and de-rated) Chevy small blocks.

The pushrod V8 has fantastic power to weight, instant response, great BSFC numbers under load, is extremely reliable and, quite simply has a set of characteristics that make it a winning choice.

Heck, the 12 hour Sebring race was 1-2-3 Caddy. The 24 hour at Daytona was 1-2 Caddy. Both with 5.5L LT4 Chevy engines.

Originally Posted by 4WD

They are still complaining, and requiring ever smaller displacement from pushrod V8's, so "they" can compete.... That says a lot.

For those who have never experienced owning a well tuned, really large displacement V8, it's a true pleasure. Smooth, reliable, and wonderful power, right now.

Just a fyi..Having to de-tune an engine for racing isn't necessarily that big of a deal. All the teams complain about each other having an unfair advantage (ex, too much downforce)

ALL subjective opinion, since I certainly do not think that the 5th gen, Nippon Giant's re-skinned Z4 is not
31.gif
the be-all/end-all of automotive styling, especially that ***** front end.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Just a fyi..Having to de-tune an engine for racing isn't necessarily that big of a deal. All the teams complain about each other having an unfair advantage (ex, too much downforce)

OT, but there's the simple solution that many race engineers like. Can it drive through those soccer goal posts there and run on pump gas? If yes, then it's good to go.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back