2020 Corvette C8 Reveal TONIGHT (18 July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to want a V6 Pontiac Fiero on account of the cool mid-engine layout. Glad to see GM using that layout again.

Originally Posted by Trav
Good point! If you look at the Blackwing engine they have have moved the cats and turbo's into the "V" instead of exhaust manifolds made possible only because of DI actually making the engine "smaller". The lighter the car gets the better suited it is to this type of engine, you don't see pushrod F1 cars or high end Rally cars all the way back to the outlawed Killer B models, you would have to way back when Mini's, DS and Cortina's, etc were Rallying to find a pushrod engine.

Heavy bodies like Nascar and similar work fine with 2v pushrod engines as they benefit from the extra torque the 2v offers but that is coming to an end with the new turbo units Fords ecoboost engines prove that they are competitive with bigger displacement V8 engines.

From everything I read the 4.2ltr Blackwing makes up to 550 HP with 5.5ltr variants producing much more, it seems almost a given the use of this current engine is a temporary move just to get the car out the door and at a lower price point which is a good reason to keep the old lump as the base model engine with RWD so it remains affordable to many more customers.
An AWD DOHC and hybrid versions will certainly cost more and somewhat limit the customer base. Just as a side note the Blackwing is being hand built in Bowling Green the home of guess what. This engine is what will set the new vette apart from the rest.

http://cadillacsociety.com/2019/01/...win-turbo-v8-engine-is-called-blackwing/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Edit: This is the first car in over 40 years I am really thrilled about, it reminds me of childhood memories of cars that drove me into this business in the first place.

I don't think the 5.5L DOHC engine will have common basic dimensions to the 4.2L Blackwing. I think the 5.5L will have the same bore spacing as a small block, but shorter deck height. I equate the Blackwing to a doubled LTG 2.0L I4 turbo, with a slightly longer stroke, so maybe 96mm bore spacing.

My predictions for future engines are the 5.5L DOHC naturally aspirated with ~650 HP, and a twin-turbo 5.5L with 850 HP. Recently I have heard rumors of a hybrid making 1000 combined HP.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
That row of switches looks like something they would have come up with in the 80s.

I don't mind the location, but I think the driver would have to strain to get at the rear switches. They should have made two rows.

Originally Posted by E365
Better picture of the steering wheel.

That's a miss with me. I like the squared-off bottom because it gives more room for drivers who left-foot brake.
I don't think the squared-off top has a useful purpose, but maybe I'd find out different if I sat in the car.
I'm also skeptical of the way the rim diameter is smaller at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Hopefully it's not too small for comfortable gripping without cramping the hands during extreme maneuvers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back