Coolest Thing You Ever "Found"

While walking through the Guilford Battle ground, crossing a steam in the gully I spotted what appeared to be a round stone. Picked it up and took it to the victors center. Turns out it was a round shot from the battle of Guilford courthouse ca. 1781 the shot is now on display in the victors center.

I have found some money over the years usually $1's. Not much, but found a FAT wallet stuffed with cash in the WA DC Capitol Mall - did not count, turned it over to DC cop nearby.

45+ Years ago I found a near new Green-lee hack saw in the street, old school style and to this day - my hacksaw.

I found a nice super flex 50 ft 10ga extension cord under my (last) old house. Next trip down I found two perfectly good 120V work spot lights.

I have found no less than 6 - yes SIX - tape measures over the years. Streets, attics, closets, etc. If you can't find yours I have it. But weird whenever I'm working on something, where is a my darned tape measure.

Two different houses we bought came with exactly one rake and one shovel each. No other yard tools.

I found two white gold rings over the years just in the dirt.

On this property I have found a stainless knife, fork and spoon in separate locations and all different pattern.

Last edited:
The year after losing my loving wife of 24 years in 2014, I "found" this lovely recently widowed lady chatting with friends at a local pub. Together we "found" that you can fall in love while still grieving, both at 65 years old. We have now been happily married for seven years. Life is sweet!

TS7_1513bs.jpg

IMG_0092bs.jpg

About 10 years ago, I found an Indian head penny laying on the ground at a Pic-N-Tote (convenience store/gas station) in Fort Smith, Ar.
It had a scratch or two on it because it had been ran over, but overall, it was in good shape. I couldn’t believe it when I picked it up and looked at it. To think that the little coin that I was holding was over 100 years old was pretty cool, especially since I found it on the ground at a gas station. I still have it here somewhere, probably to never be found again. 😒

A few years back we were nearing a shoreline when two (unseen) Whooping Cranes took flight heading west - so they had apparently overnighted before moving on to the refuge (known habit) …
Totally stunned by the majestic birds - I let my skinny water sled run up on the marsh grass - then I spotted this hollow log …
It serves as a reminder of the rare sighting …

2D33AAAF-F166-4EE5-AA40-8C388F18CD9D.jpeg

Last edited:
When I was a kid in the 70's I found a real Arrowhead on our property.
We (actually mostly my father) found lots of those on our farms in Kentucky, plus incomplete (reject?) ones, and Indian grindstones. Once he thought he spotted a ceremonial stone pipe in the dirt while plowing, but went back later to search for it for a long time, but never found it---if it actually existed.

In my list of yesterday, I forgot to include the broken gold-chain necklace.

A few years back we were nearing a shoreline when two (unseen) Whooping Cranes took flight heading west - so they had apparently overnighted before moving on to the refuge (known habit) …
Totally stunned by the majestic birds - I let my skinny water sled run up on the marsh grass - then I spotted this hollow log …
It serves as a reminder of the rare sighting …

View attachment 130404
A bit of trivia. The Whoopers fly practically over top the Oil Sands on their way to their summer nesting grounds. Very majestic birds.

5EC03C49-8DE0-49BB-9D89-FA6C25155782.jpeg

When I was in grade school I was doing some yardwork in our front yard and noticed a weird rock sticking up up out of the dirt. Cleaned it off and realized it was a very good condition arrowhead. My friend still lives in the same area and he has found several over the years.

Our house back then was on the edge of about 3000 acres of woods and farmland, which is becoming neighborhoods with Mcmansions on huge lots now, but back in the day it was a wonderful playground of unused property we used as our own frontier. I would wonder around back there forever in my teens and one time, while following a small creek, I wondered off into the thick woods and while climbing over fallen trees and ducking through thickets I came across a weird pile of rocks, arranged in a circle about 3-4 feet in diameter. I pulled back a bunch of the limbs and smaller branches that had fallen on it over the years and discovered what was the remains of very old well. Peering down into it, it looked to be about 20-30 feet deep. There were a lot of big rocks near it that kind of made a small square-ish outline, about 15x15 ft or so. When I stood back a bit from the area it became clearer, that I had stumbled onto the ruins of what had to have been the site of an old log cabin or some sort of old homestead. I'm sure the owner probably had known it was there, or maybe not who knows, he had been dead for decades at that point and his only house on the property was pretty far away and had sat empty since I was a little kid. I'd love to get back in there and see if its all the way it was but there is a huge house about a 1/4 mile away now and I dont think they'd want me back there, if they even own that part of the property. Its pretty rugged terrain and I think its community greenspace at this point. Definitely a cool find.

My dad and I used to find arrowheads all the time. He had boxes of them. Have no idea what became of them.

Dug this up in my garden in NJ many years ago. Per a Lenape Indian expert and author it is 6,000 to 8,000 years old.

View attachment 130171
Any idea what type of stone that is? Very unique!
We have one of these kicking around my parents basement, but from near Morris Manitoba. My grandfather was a farmer there and there are nearly zero rocks in a field, and then he saw one, so he picked it up. Ours is gray, limestone I assume.
I found $60 in bank machine once, also a $1200 iphone on the ski hill which we turned in.

Remember another one. After I got married, we moved into the Wife's old Grandparent's farm home.

An old wooden corn crib there. Built on a slight slope, so there were some old stones supporting one side under the wood. Upon checking them out, they ended up being three old tombstones. So I dug them out and washed them up.

Old stones from the 1800's. Replaced with new stones, I have no idea?

Still have them today in a storage shed.

Pulling up the tongue and groove floor in the attic of my 1880 house, i found a school grammar primer from about 1889.

It was cool to think that it probably sat there undisturbed over an entire century.

Any idea what type of stone that is? Very unique!
We have one of these kicking around my parents basement, but from near Morris Manitoba. My grandfather was a farmer there and there are nearly zero rocks in a field, and then he saw one, so he picked it up. Ours is gray, limestone I assume.
No idea, but it is heavy.

Many years ago we were at my grandmother's house after her funeral . I had walked back to her bedroom and was just standing at the door thinking about old times , etc. She had an antique dressing table and there was a small jewelry box on top . Being nosy like I am I opened the box .and right on top was a set of military dog tags on a chain . They were my Dad's from WWII . I brought them and showed them to my Dad . He said that he hadn't seen them since he got home in 1945 . He gave them to his Mom and never thought about them again . REAL cool in my opinion .

battle of Guilford courthouse ca. 1781
Great find! I live about 15 miles from the Guilford Battleground and I’ve been there many times. Cornwallis‘ last battle before surrendering at Yorktown Va. Guilford Courthouse was renamed Greensboro after General Nathaniel Greene who commanded the American forces.

Along with the shot find.. I was there researching our family history. Based off my grandfather side of the family. Turns out two cousins fought in the same battle at the beginning of the revolutionary war near Wilmington, NC (https://www.ncpedia.org/wilmington-campaign-1781) and again fought the battle at Gilford courthouse. Yet they we're not in the same division or the same rank, But had the same first and last names.

Then come to find out that on my grandmother side of the family, there was another family member who fought at the battle of Gilford court house at the same time the two cousins were there. The sad thing here, is that the grave sites where they are, (two different grave sites) have went into disrepair.

One, we've been trying to keep clean and clean while the other one we can't access due to it being on now private property. Knowing this we make a habit to drive to those sites we have access to and place either a confederate flag on our families plots whom fought during the civil war and the battle standard of the Gilford courthouse for those whom fought at the the courthouse.

The story about our civil war veteran goes like this.. during the last days of the war, he was shot and captured at Gettysburg, taken to fort Delaware, starved then hanged for horse thievery. His body was drained of fluids (essentially mummified) in preparation for the long trip back to North Carolina. This would take several days to complete by horse drawn wagon.

There's been no records of any of our family being in any other wars after this.

This is our history and heritage, what's yours..

Back