Coolest Thing You Ever "Found"

Oh, ,man, gonna have to give this some thought.

First to come to mind: While in a field lab during forestry school (1976), found both sides of this thick rack laying in the woods with no rodent chewing damage. Look closely and you can see Fred Bear's autograph that I obtained in the 1980's at an archery show.
Fred Bear.jpg

1913 Buffalo nickel in the soil when my grandfather and I were digging a fence post. I know it was a 1913 because that one year had raised ground under the Buffalo. Homes in the area were built between then through maybe the early 30s. So it could have been dropped during construction.

Riding a bike, one finds lot of things, useful, useless, strange, bizarre, etc. I forget most of them, but here a few examples I can remember off-hand:

$10 bill (in high school parking lot)
Numerous coins,
Roll of fishing line,
Brassiere,
Long kitchen knife,
Valid driver's license,
Numerous screwdrivers,
Numerous wrenches (mostly small fractional-inch sizes),
Sockets, extensions,
Several pair pliers (some in fine condition, some not),
Gas cap to fit my car---an uncommon size,
Scissors,
1962 Chevrolet owner's manual, intact,
1981 Fiat owner's manual,
Heavy ceramic bowl in perfect condition,
Nice leather coin purse-wallet I've used for decades,
Wallet (turned over to local police),
Scissor jack for Honda (works for Toyota, too),
City+county map (from site of single-car accident),
Banana in ok condition ...

Last edited:
An old "wooden leg"

Was in the upstairs of a house my buddy rented in the late 1970's. The real deal.

Had lot's of fun with it, back in the days. Cut off a pair of blue jeans to dress it up.
Slam into car door and drive up to stop lights with it hanging out the door. Shoe on it as well.

Stop at light and slap your head, then open the door and pull my leg back inside. Then drive off! ;)

Visiting Berlin in 1989 and saw a graffiti for a home-town rock station KSHE-95 painted on the wall.
I'll have to find the picture somewhere and scan it, if I still have it.

Found $30 in the street when I was ten. By contrast, my allowance was 50 cents a week. My dad, by no coincidence, also got a 50 cent allowance back in the 1950's. My observations about inflation fell on deaf ears.

Like a moron, I told my dad, who then made me spend $20 of it on my new bike so I'd have some skin in the game. I'm beginning to think he might have just been cheap.

Countless interesting things during my military service.

The most shocking has to be behind an old engineering maintenance building where a field held “deadlined” vehicles. I was helping conduct an initial security assessment as we wrote an SOP for the new function of the post.

With only a couple hundred feet of thin woods and a six foot chain link fence separating them from civilian off-base housing, were multiple unlocked trailers and trucks containing C4, det cord, clackers, etc. All of the C4 was ancient and swelled up from moisture intrusion. Nonetheless that was one fun phone call to make. We were on the phone with the brigade commander by the end of the day!

Back