"Conventional" SP oils in TGDI engines

I know that the term "conventional" oils really doesn't apply since most oils are at least a blend now. I've seen a lot of cheaper oils with the SP rating, are these oils safe for use in TGDI engines? Everyone here recommends full synthetic oils for ecoboost engines yet I can use a Chevron Supreme or Supertech oil with the newest SP rating and change it every 5,000 miles.

Based on how cheap synthetic has become (even when not on sale) no reason to not use it in pretty much everything.

You can get great quality synthetics for under 20 bucks a jug. Buy one or two when on sale for your upcoming oil change(s) and don't even think about it anymore.

Based on how cheap synthetic has become (even when not on sale) no reason to not use it in pretty much everything.

You can get great quality synthetics for under 20 bucks a jug. Buy one or two when on sale for your upcoming oil change(s) and don't even think about it anymore.
BINGO --- we have a winner!!!!

Go to Advance auto parts and stock up on Rotella Gas Truck for $10 a jug and you'll have no concerns for awhile.

I know that the term "conventional" oils really doesn't apply since most oils are at least a blend now. I've seen a lot of cheaper oils with the SP rating, are these oils safe for use in TGDI engines? Everyone here recommends full synthetic oils for ecoboost engines yet I can use a Chevron Supreme or Supertech oil with the newest SP rating and change it every 5,000 miles.
Just because every one here recommends some thing doesn't mean it is fact. We have lots of regurgitating of marketing claims.

If it meets the manufacturers specs, then sure, why not? In the case of my TGDI powered Jeep Cherokee the owners manual specifies synthetic 5W-30 so "conventional" is out for me.

I get your point but just wanted to the add that Chevron hasn’t updated there Supreme line to Sp.

We know 300,000 - 400,000 mi on original turbos is doable on 10,000 mi OCI with Motorcraft 5W-30 Blend SN / SN+. Pat's 2.7 Ecoboost is likely 90% highway but Don's 3.5 Ecoboost is more like 60/40 and 15% of it is with a trailer. I don't have any reason to suspect SP will be less turbo capable.

Given CP Base Oil availability I'm guessing that product is 60% GII 100 VI and 40% GIII 123 VI Base.

Last edited:
hy would anyone use "conventional" oil in anything turbo these days?
Why don't the semis, huge earth moving machinery and farm equipment with $30,000. 00 plus dollar engines run conventional oils ? [Unless they are operated in sub arctic conditions with out a heater?

Why don't the semis, huge earth moving machinery and farm equipment with $30,000. 00 plus dollar engines run conventional oils ? [Unless they are operated in sub arctic conditions with out a heater?
I think you answered your own question.
Semi's, show me semi with current emission equipment that runs conventional oil?

I would save the non synthetic oils for the older non turbo engines, which I am sure they will be perfect for......

I would save the non synthetic oils for the older non turbo engines, which I am sure they will be perfect for......
What is older? Older engines have adjustable valve system that requires thinner oils, run very hot etc. You have numerous engines with such systems using synthetic oils strictly since 1990's. That is some 30 years ago.

What is older? Older engines have adjustable valve system that requires thinner oils, run very hot etc. You have numerous engines with such systems using synthetic oils strictly since 1990's. That is some 30 years ago.

I’d say pretty much anything non turbo. (Of course there will be some mentioned that do) My 2 ecotec engines did not require synthetics, but got them anyways. Cars with more common engines (Camry, Accord, Trucks) before the turbos would be good examples.

Besides, many of the conventional oils have blends for a while now anyways......:)

I’d say pretty much anything non turbo. (Of course there will be some mentioned that do) My 2 ecotec engines did not require synthetics, but got them anyways. Cars with more common engines (Camry, Accord, Trucks) before the turbos would be good examples.

Besides, many of the conventional oils have blends for a while now anyways......:)
Ecotec models in Opel vehicles required synthetics since mid-1990's. Try that conventional oil on auto bahn and see what happens after some time.
Also, I have non turbo engine in BMW. Should I use conventional? I mean it only runs at 113c in normal regime.

Chevron apparently disagrees with you.
Chevron Delo 600 ADF was developed for just that market.
"Delo® 600 ADF 10W-30 ISOCLEAN® Certified Lubricant with OmniMax is a premium, high-performance, long drain and mixedfleet engine oil using synthetic technology."

Back