API SP vs Gen. 1 Dexos

Why not just run SuperTech syn? Around $14 at Wally world, is cheaper than Valvoline Red Bottle, and meets Dexos gen 2. Unless you have no walmart near you.

Why not just run SuperTech syn? Around $14 at Wally world, is cheaper than Valvoline Red Bottle, and meets Dexos gen 2. Unless you have no walmart near you.

My closest Wal-Mart is about 30 miles as the crow flies, which translates into about a 45 minute to hour drive. We tend not to head to the town that has the Wal-Mart to often.

We're at the mercy of small town availability and prices which is why I am looking and asking questions.

My closest Wal-Mart is about 30 miles as the crow flies, which translates into about a 45 minute to hour drive. We tend not to head to the town that has the Wal-Mart to often.

We're at the mercy of small town availability and prices which is why I am looking and asking questions.

I’m in the same boat as you, and our closest Wal-Mart isn’t a super center either so their automotive/oil section doesn’t carry too many oils.
However, wal-marts online store brings it to my house in 2 days. Saves me an hour drive.

I’m in the same boat as you, and our closest Wal-Mart isn’t a super center either so their automotive/oil section doesn’t carry too many oils.
However, wal-marts online store brings it to my house in 2 days. Saves me an hour drive.
I've thought about ordering online, but I am so tired of ordering everything, that it would just be nice to be able to get what I want the day I want it.

At the end of the day though at least I have my answer of SP vs Dexos 2 Gen 1, overall the Dexos spec is harder to his, but SP does beat Dexos in I think one category.

So I just took a look at Wal-Mart's website, they say that SuperTech 5w30 Full Synthetic is not available for delivery, only pickup...yup there goes that life in a small town again LOL

Dexos 1 Gen. 1 was pretty good stuff, Dexos 1 Gen. 2 was optimized to reduce LSPI in small direct injected (& generally turbocharged) engines, as is API SP. All of them are plenty good enough for a GM 5.3 LS engine used to OLM limits, I personally have 7 or 8 gallons of Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 that I'm using in the 2011 Express 6.0 LS in my sig, and it's been fine so far.

So I just took a look at Wal-Mart's website, they say that SuperTech 5w30 Full Synthetic is not available for delivery, only pickup...yup there goes that life in a small town again LOL

Yeah I saw it to. If that’s the case I’d spend $2 more and buy the QSUD and save me the drive.

Yeah I saw it to. If that’s the case I’d spend $2 more and buy the QSUD and save me the drive.
I'm not a Quaker State fan myself, I'd have to step up to Valvoline Full Synthetic at $23/jug which isn't a terrible price, but still...ugh.

Look in the Rebates section, the Quaker State 5W-30 full synthetic is on sale $14.67 a jug and they deliver. It meets your specs. Now the hard decision is Valvoline brand love, or your desire to save money and still meet the spec. If you would take it so far to use an oil that does not meet specs just because it’s Valvoline, wow.

Look in the Rebates section, the Quaker State 5W-30 full synthetic is on sale $14.67 a jug and they deliver. It meets your specs. Now the hard decision is Valvoline brand love, or your desire to save money and still meet the spec. If you would take it so far to use an oil that does not meet specs just because it’s Valvoline, wow.
I think you are miss understanding here. Valvoline Red Bottle used to meet Dexos Spec back in 2010 when it was first introduced. That is all my Suburban requires. Valvoline Red Bottle meets Ford WSS-M2C961-A1 which supersedes WSS-M2C948-B1 (what my F-150 requires), and 948 is really close to Dexos when you look at the specs themselves. I have to believe that 961 is probably as good as Dexos in which case how would I be using an oil that doesn't meet the vehicles original spec?

Just to be clear, the nomenclature is Dexos 1 Gen 2 and Dexos 2. Dexos 1 Gen 2 is currently the best Dexos choice for gasoline engines. Dexos 2 is suitable for both Gasoline and some Diesel engines.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the nomenclature is Dexos 1 Gen 2 and Dexos 2. Dexo1 Gen2 is currently the best Dexos choice for gasoline engines. Dexos 2 is suitable for both Gasoline and some Diesel engines.
Thank you, I always get those two backwards for some reason in my head.

OK so to recap, your oil TEN years ago used to be licensed for the obsolete dexos Gen1. Now Valvoline high mileage is not licensed for any spec. The Ford spec is not the GM spec either. You assume it's the oil formulation that it used to be years ago but it is not even the same formulation from one year ago.

Here is the same product tested by PQIA in 2019 and 2018 and already a difference.
https://pqia.org/valvoline-maxlife-sae-5w-30-motor-oil/
http://pqiadata.org/Valvoline_MaxLife_5W30.html

Back