SN Dexos vs SP Dexos 1 Gen 3?

So we've got this 2020 XT4, 2.0T LSY I4
About 11k on it now
She's 2 years into the 3 year lease, so I'm fixing to complete all needed maintenance, so it can just be given back when it's done
How sensitive are these to LSPI, and needing API SP oil?
I run it on 93, because that's what it says to
Can the wrong oil really cause it to burn a hole in a piston, or was that only the 1.5T in Chevys?
I just exchanged PP 0w20 SN for PP 0w20 SP at Home Depot, because I was afraid of using the older spec SN/Dexos oil in it
Does it really matter?
Are they that sensitive?
It's getting the newer PP 0w20 SP/Dexos Gen3 and a PF66
Should see it through till next June when it goes back

Thoughts?

PXL_20220816_192318011.jpg

PXL_20220816_193215533.jpg

How different are the oils in these bottles?
Luckily Home Depot gave me store credit, and it's going for the same price now, so a no charge upgrade if you will

reading thru some of the gm forums , the 2.0 were very much part of the piston problem , not burning holes in them , but from lspi cracking , from the reads , the higher calciam was a suspected contributer to lspi in small displacement di tubo engines , i think one of the reasons gm specs 0-20 is that it is only avaialbe in a synthetic , my opinion is that the earlier engines specd 5-30, as in my 16 malibu and you can get that in conventional , semi and fs, and people like my mother would go to discount lube , and , well you can fill in the blank
on my 2016 malibu i ran 5-30 m1 exclusivly and it ran like a raped ape ,
switching out to sp was probly a good choice on your part, at least youll sleep better

the Dexos Gen2 spec was (I have been told on GM specific Forums) to address LSPI and the Mobil 1 recommendation specifically (but plenty of other oils are said to meet or exceed that spec) was for it's low calcium...

problems with the 2.0T (from what I've read on Cadillac and Malibu Forums specifically since 2013) were traced to initially some bad pistons in manufacture and those not using the recommended octane fuel and full synthetic oil...the GF's 2.0T in her 2013 Malibu she bought new has had full synthetic 5W-30 (the spec for her particular engine) since the initial factory Dexos Gen 1 synthetic blend was drained early on...along with a proper filter and proper super unleaded fuel (hers gets 93 octane, Top Tier Costco)...she has had no issues with her engine...

I believe one reason that Mobil synthetic oils are recommended by GM is that they have a marketing agreement with Mobil oil...her's gets Mobil 1 because I can source it easily enough and it meets or exceeds the spec...

initially and early on a spark plug change and slight engine tune change was mandated by the manufacturer...

Good luck with your car...

Bill

the Dexos Gen2 spec was (I have been told on GM specific Forums) to address LSPI and the Mobil 1 recommendation specifically (but plenty of other oils are said to meet or exceed that spec) was for it's low calcium...

problems with the 2.0T (from what I've read on Cadillac and Malibu Forums specifically since 2013) were traced to initially some bad pistons in manufacture and those not using the recommended octane fuel and full synthetic oil...the GF's 2.0T in her 2013 Malibu she bought new has had full synthetic 5W-30 (the spec for her particular engine) since the initial factory Dexos Gen 1 synthetic blend was drained early on...along with a proper filter and proper super unleaded fuel (hers gets 93 octane, Top Tier Costco)...she has had no issues with her engine...

I believe one reason that Mobil synthetic oils are recommended by GM is that they have a marketing agreement with Mobil oil...her's gets Mobil 1 because I can source it easily enough and it meets or exceeds the spec...

initially and early on a spark plug change and slight engine tune change was mandated by the manufacturer...

Good luck with your car...

Bill
Good to know
I've gotta pay close attention on these newer GM products
Dexos1 Gen 3 it is
This LSY only has 11k on it and has had
Factory fill
Whatever the bulk stuff the Caddy dealer used for the 1 free maintenance
I put AmazonBasics 0w20 Dexos last year
Now it's getting this PP 0w20 SP
Should see it through to it's lease return next June

So we've got this 2020 XT4, 2.0T LSY I4
About 11k on it now
She's 2 years into the 3 year lease, so I'm fixing to complete all needed maintenance, so it can just be given back when it's done
How sensitive are these to LSPI, and needing API SP oil?
I run it on 93, because that's what it says to
Can the wrong oil really cause it to burn a hole in a piston, or was that only the 1.5T in Chevys?
I just exchanged PP 0w20 SN for PP 0w20 SP at Home Depot, because I was afraid of using the older spec SN/Dexos oil in it
Does it really matter?
Are they that sensitive?
It's getting the newer PP 0w20 SP/Dexos Gen3 and a PF66
Should see it through till next June when it goes back

Thoughts?
you're a good man !
most people could care less what goes into a leased car.

Back