API SP vs Gen. 1 Dexos

Good Afternoon Everyone!

So I found my first bottle of API SP oil while I was looking for some oil for the snowblower I just finished repowering and it got me wondering...How does API SP compare to the original Dexos Spec that my Suburban calls for?

It seems to me from what I have read that API SP is superior to that original Dexos spec.

Now I know being that this is BITOG I'm likely to get recommendations of "Full Synthetic", etc, but I also know that the LS 5.3 in the Suburban is VERY easy on oil. So at the risk of getting taken to the woodshed, I have to ask. With a 5k OCI, how would a "conventional" SP rated oil hold up in my Suburban? I know that an SP synthetic will be superior and could run further, but I don't really have an interest in extended OCIs so I really don't see the point of running a full synthetic in the ol' girl if I don't have to.

Thanks,

~T

Should be fine
I figure as much myself. I'm mainly curious how the two spec's relate to one another. Is one better than the other? Is one superior in certain areas but lacking in others. I am genuinely curious which is why I ask.

Dexos gen 2 soon to be gen 3 approval is still tougher than API SP....

And ACEA A5 B5 is tougher than API SP too...

Dexos gen 2 soon to be gen 3 approval is still tougher than API SP....

And ACEA A5 B5 is tougher than API SP too...
I suspected that Gen 2 would be tougher, I was asking about Gen 1 which is what my Suburban was originally spec'd for.

Good luck finding Dexos gen 1.....

It is tougher than API SP too....

Tougher volatility spec to meet for Dexos...

Wear tougher spec tougher for Dexos too...

Deposit tougher for Dexos too....

API is fine and ok for lots of applications...

But it is a minimal spec compared to Dexos and ACEA A5 B5...

Finding Dexos Gen 1 is pretty much impossible, I know that. My ultimate goal would be to be able to run Vavoline Red Bottle in my Suburban, but it no longer meets Dexos spec (it used to meet Gen 1). When I reached out to Vavoline years ago they said that they didn't change the formula vs when it met Gen 1 spec so I always thought about continuing to run it.

Now that it is meeting API SP (red bottle that is) I was wondering what formulation changes happened and how it would work in my Suburban. Yes I know, for a 5k OCI it would probably but fine, but I am genuinely curious how the spec's relate.

I would love to find a chart that lays out the different categories oils are measured by and see how all these different specs compare side by side, but I can't seem to find that.

Lubrizol has charts....

Though they "say" not to compare different specs....

But anyone who has common sense can figure Porsche a40 needs to be a lot tougher than API SP.... And the chart on lubrizol shows that Porsche a40 is way way, way,way tougher than API SP... Just like Dexos is too.

Look up Porsche a40 testing...it is quite a test.

Problem I am seeing with Lubrizol is they are very limited on what they have charts on. Ford example Dexos Gen 1, or in the case of my F-150 WSS-M2C948 (edit...I see they do have 948-B, but they don't have 961 which seems to be the current 5w30 spec)

Lubrizol compares.....

API SP and Dexos...

It's right there...

Straight forward...

Look up Porsche a40 and c30.... Compare them to API SP and Dexos....

Look up ACEA A5 B5 compare to Dexos.... Those are actually close....

Only thing I wish they did better was have the Ford specs in their system better.

I've been playing with the chart since you mentioned Lubrizol. Like I said I wish I could look at the spider chart for Dexos Gen 1, but I do see what you mean by Dexos, etc is a lot more stringent. Now I just wish I could see how Ford's 948 compares to 961, compares to Dexos gen 2 LOL. I guess that is what I get for having a Ford and a Chevy in the same garage.

Yeah man.... The Ford specs on there are lacking.... Wish that were different and better too....

I have hypothesized that the Ford specs are better than we might first think...

I think any Dexos gen 2 will run great for you...

Federated Auto parts has a 6 qt case sale right now... $3.78 a quart per 6 qt case.. made by Warren Distribution...

Some Napa stores have Cam2 full synthetic Dexos gen 2 approved oil for $3.49 a quart... Sold in a 6 qt case...

I'm looking at Dexos vs Ford 948-B and I am pretty surprised...they are very comparable...Ford is better in one way, and Dexos in another. That really makes me wonder about 961...My F-150 and Suburban are both running NAPA full synthetic, but to me that seems like a waste for a 5k oci (and no I won't go beyond that...call it a mental block I can't get over).

Oh and don't forget my Harley LOL Pretty sure I can't get away with running the same thing in my truck as my Harley LOL

I'm looking at Dexos vs Ford 948-B and I am pretty surprised...they are very comparable...Ford is better in one way, and Dexos in another. That really makes me wonder about 961...My F-150 and Suburban are both running NAPA full synthetic, but to me that seems like a waste for a 5k oci (and no I won't go beyond that...call it a mental block I can't get over).

Yeah man... The Ford specs are actually pretty decent I think.

Don't blame you for the 5k mile change interval...

If it works good for you... That's all that matters.

Yeah Napa oil is good stuff.... Made by Valvoline.

I got some for my car.... About enough for 3 runs in my car.

Yeah Napa oil is good stuff.... Made by Valvoline.

I love Valvoline products, always have. I just am being cheap at the moment and wondering if I can get away with Red Bottle with the new API SP Spec, and the fact that Red Bottle (and White Bottle) meet's Ford's new 961 spec...but I have no clue how 948 and 961 compare. Considering how close 948 is to Dexos Gen 2, I almost have to believe that White Bottle (and Red) are dang close to meeting Dexos Gen 2

Hmmmm interesting....

Could be close with Valvoline high mileage and even VWB are not too far off...

Especially Valvoline maxlife synthetic blend...

Though just me man... I'd go with a genuine real deal Dexos gen 2 approved oil..

I hear ya, like I said I just am being cheap. That and I've never been a fan of chasing moving goal posts. In the case of my Suburban, it was originally spec'd for Gen 1, and now we're at Gen 2 and I have no clue what actually meets gen 1, so I have to use Gen 2 in order to "meet spec." And as you pointed out earlier, Gen 3 is on the horizon.

Though seriously....

The Valvoline maxlife would actually be quite good in your vehicle...

Even if it does not technically meet the Dexos gen 1 spec. Maybe just cut the run down from 5k miles to say 4k miles... One thing is that Dexos has a tougher volatility spec that helps it stay in grade longer and leave less deposits... Which would not matter as much or at all if one cuts the miles run on the oil.

Heck likely 5k miles it would be ok too.

I figure Maxlife would be good in both the Suburban and the F-150, especially considering SN+/SP address LSPI which is a concern with the F-150.

I'm probably just overthinking this but I like to bounce my crazy ideas/thoughts off of others as a sanity check.

Back