0w40 SP Mobil 1 in TGDI engines???

In 2018, both Mercedes that I had which were DI and turbocharged (one was twin turbocharged) they both had 0W-40 as the specified viscosity with Mobil being the recommended brand. I would be highly skeptical if you would have any issues whatsoever.

As for "(too) thick oil will "dam up" behind parts", I am not sure I have ever heard a bigger load of bovine scatology (well, ok I have, but that is beside the point).

I thought Mobil 1 0w40 was discouraged in GDI engines because of SAPS content and valve deposits. Isn't that the reason why Mobil 1 ESP 0w40 is recommended in Corvettes and Camaros?
The shift to low SAPS was to protect DPF/GPF's, prior to that, euro GDI engines spec'd full SAPS oils, one of which was M1 0W-40.

The shift to low SAPS was to protect DPF/GPF's.
Mobil has the ESP line for that.

Prior to that, euro GDI engines spec'd full SAPS oils.
Yes, and now they have specs like ACEA C5/C6 C2/C3, MB 229.71, MB 229.51, MB 229.52, BMW LL04, BMW LL17, and so on, all of these are covered by the ESP line of products.

Therefore, there is absolutely no reason for a high performance Full SAPS oil to even try to offer DPF/GPF protection, and it might actually not, even in API SP guise. Also, Magnesium Sulfonate is not really desirable in high performance motor oils. I mean, if it's there, it's fine, but it will deplete rather quickly under high heat and stress.

I think that this is about additive package convergence (Infineum) and competition. Shell had their Helix API SN Plus / SP clones on the market since late 2019 / early 2020 with a Calcium/Magnesium additive package that looks nearly identical to Mobil's FS add pack, except for detergents. I think Mobil is fixing that now and getting in line with Shell's product line. So, I don't think this is about exhaust system protection, when they already have a product line that addresses that specifically. And it's a very good product line.

The correlation between saps and IVD is very much inconclusive. Certain studies hint at higher occurrence of IVD, if purely oil related, to low quality base oil and viscosity improves.

I would defiantly not worry about using a full saps oil from any of the well known brands for GDI/T-GDI application.

Mobil has the ESP line for that.
Yes, which features reduced phosphorous, to protect the DPF/GPF's. That wasn't an area of concern with the full-SAPS products, because none of the approvals they targeted were spec'd by vehicles with GPF's or DPF's.
Yes, and now they have specs like ACEA C5/C6 C2/C3, MB 229.71, MB 229.51, MB 229.52, BMW LL04, BMW LL17, and so on, all of these are covered by the ESP line of products.
Yes, the OEM's all came out with their own mid/low SAPS approvals for the products with reduced phosphorous, like the M1 ESP product line. The C-series ACEA stuff was originally targeted at diesels (because of course DPF's came out before GPF's) but that was later extended to gasoline applications with the move toward the fitment of GPF's.
Therefore, there is absolutely no reason for a high performance Full SAPS oil to even try to offer DPF/GPF protection, and it might actually not, even in API SP guise.
Well no, why would they? None of the approvals targeted by a full-SAPS oil has a GPF/DPF. Those all specifically call for either an ACEA C-series approval or OE approval. The only exception is GM with dexos, which calls for an ESP oil in a car (Corvette) that doesn't have a GPF, but that's more consistent with the typical API-geared approach on this side of the pond where everybody tanked phosphorous in the RC grades starting with SM.
Also, Magnesium Sulfonate is not really desirable in high performance motor oils. I mean, if it's there, it's fine, but it will deplete rather quickly under high heat and stress.

I think that this is about additive package convergence (Infineum) and competition. Shell had their Helix API SN Plus / SP clones on the market since late 2019 / early 2020 with a Calcium/Magnesium additive package that looks nearly identical to Mobil's FS add pack, except for detergents. I think Mobil is fixing that now and getting in line with Shell's product line. So, I don't think this is about exhaust system protection, when they already have a product line that addresses that specifically. And it's a very good product line.
You've lost me. You don't think what is/was about exhaust system protection? My point was simply that the full-SAPS oils were not targeted toward applications that featured DPF's/GPF's. Most of these oils long pre-date the fitment of those devices to vehicles and when DPF's first started to appear on European diesels, the low and mid-SAPS oils (ESP...etc) and the C-series ACEA approvals appeared as part of that transition. Later on, when GPF's began to be fitted, that scope was expanded (as were the OE approvals, many of which you listed) to cover those applications as well. There was then a clear delineation between the full-SAPS oils, not deemed suitable, nor spec'd, for DPF/GPF applications, and the low/mid-SAPS oils which were specifically geared toward them.

Where things are muddied a bit is where OEM's back-spec'd some applications to low/mid-SAPS approvals, like BMW, so you had an application that originally called for LL-01 for example, now spec'ing LL-14. This wasn't about DPF/GPF protection, since the vehicle wasn't fitted with one, it was more about a broader transition away from full-SAPS oils in their engine fleet, likely to make things less complicated for dealers.

Well, now that I’ve decided to switch to the 0w40, I cannot seem to find one the is SP GF-6 certified.

I’ve been to Walmart, autozone, napa, Oreilly and advance auto parts. Then I went online to Amazon, summit racing, parts geek, and a few more.

Everywhere I go I find lots of SN certified and the brand doesn’t matter. Castrol, mobil1, and a few others are all SN.
With a TGDI engine, I assume that SP and GF-6 are required.

Any alternatives, or am I goofy.

Well, now that I’ve decided to switch to the 0w40, I cannot seem to find one the is SP GF-6 certified.

I’ve been to Walmart, autozone, napa, Oreilly and advance auto parts. Then I went online to Amazon, summit racing, parts geek, and a few more.

Everywhere I go I find lots of SN certified and the brand doesn’t matter. Castrol, mobil1, and a few others are all SN.

1. API and ILSAC aren't the same thing. Spend some time googling the two and you'll realize rather quickly that motor oils that carry Euro approvals are not ILSAC certified, with small exceptions here and there, like Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20.
  2. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 API SP is not yet available for purchase at retail. In the meantime, you can run Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40, 5W-40, or Quaker State Euro 5W-40, as all of these are API SP and are quite decent oils for your application.

You've lost me. You don't think what is/was about exhaust system protection? My point was simply that the full-SAPS oils were not targeted toward applications that featured DPF's/GPF's. Most of these oils long pre-date the fitment of those devices to vehicles and when DPF's first started to appear on European diesels, the low and mid-SAPS oils (ESP...etc) and the C-series ACEA approvals appeared as part of that transition. Later on, when GPF's began to be fitted, that scope was expanded (as were the OE approvals, many of which you listed) to cover those applications as well. There was then a clear delineation between the full-SAPS oils, not deemed suitable, nor spec'd, for DPF/GPF applications, and the low/mid-SAPS oils which were specifically geared toward them.
Yeah, I overcomplicated things. Sorry... 😞

Uhh, it's going to depend on what year. For instance, a 2013 Ford Fusion with a 2.0l Ecoboost was built in 2012-2013. GF-5 and SN were in baby stages at that point.

So, required? No. Recommended, sure.

I recently put in some Castrol Edge Euro 5w30 A3/B4 oil in my 3.5 Ecoboost. It’s High saps, and rated as API SL.

5w30 Castrol edge Euro is very high in calcium (about 2600ppm based on the only UOA I can find on a BMW forum) which according to API, high calcium is what causes LSPI in a lot of direct injected engines. But also having high amounts of zinc helps eliminate LSPI. So high SAPs usually have high Calcium and Zinc, so it won’t cause LSPI.

There’s absolutely no issues on my engine. No knocks, no nothing. Engine runs great.

I would not worry about LSPI, if your engine does not burn any noticeable amounts of oil in a relatively short (in today’s standards) 4k-5k mile oil change interval.

Concerning VAG DI engines. Many of us have been round n round concerning oil properties right? Great learning curve but, tedious all the same. HTHS, Ash level, Visc, oil drain duration etc etc ad nauseam!

However my oily friends, I found a single page, concise write up on the oil prpoerties, concerning VAG platforms which of course, are relevant for any EURO/German beast you own. Yes, US sold carbon build up mongrels that fit the bill too! I'm not considering the later engines that employ PFI - spray injectors to deal with the infamous valve/carbon build up' problem. I'm only concerned with mid-2000 to mid 2010 era DI engines, because that's what I have to deal with. Screw fuel efficiency just for now. The most important oil properties I'm interested in is SAPS/Ash levels & associated sludge protection, due to timing chain/cam wear these early DI engines succumbed to, if this ludicrous 'long-interval' malarkey was taken seriously by gullible owners, simply expecting great fuel economy ONLY with these VAG engines & alike. Buy a Toyota if you want boring, cheap to maintain reliable economy!

For those who appreciate they may have a heavy foot now & then & turbocharger running & 130k rpm. Though, water-cooled nowadays. They still have engine oil run through them did you know lol. Hmmmm....

So, below is the link to said page. Look @ the VW properties from 502 - 507. I was wanting 504 but higher deals with diesel demands etc. The 504 & 507 are basically the same but what caught my eye was. Concerning Mobil 1 0W30 ESP. I've been using is rated @ both those levels! 504 & 507. That's some doing if you know a little about oils. Furthermore, it has a high HTHS of 3.5. ACEA C2/C3 & yet, low Ash% of 0.6. Wow. The TBN is a lowly 6.3 :eek: Visc Index of 165 regardless... Seems a very complicated, mix/mash recipe for results.

imho...

Can't edit my earlier post so, just thought I'd share a 504 oil that is very affordable here down under (where we get ripped another hole for everything) as in Mobil 1 & Castrol edge oils are the same prices. I found Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W30 with a 504 rating, cheaper than the other brands. Thought that was rather awesome :)

Back