0w40 SP Mobil 1 in TGDI engines???

I’ve been doing a lot of research since my 2020 Edge 2.0 TGDI hit 70,000+ miles. From everything I’ve seen it appears that thinner oil on startup is better for the turbo. So, for winter I’m using 0w30 which seems good so far, but for summer I’ve used 5w30.

I’m strongly considering Mobil 1 SP 0w40 in summer. My thought is that the zero gets to the turbo faster and the forty gives better protection at 70,000 miles.

I guess I’m a bit confused about forty messing with the VVT.

I may be overthinking this whole issue but overall the 0w40 SP makes good sense to me. Advice?

I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback on this question.

In this video by Pat Goss titled "Choosing the correct engine oil is critical to engine life with Pat Goss from Goss Garage" ( https://bit.ly/2khKNi7 ), Pat says that (too) thick oil will "dam up" behind parts (at appx. 3:00 minutes into the video). He seems to infer that your oil won't be protecting your engine if you're not using the OEM recommended oil.

Ed

I’ve been doing a lot of research since my 2020 Edge 2.0 TGDI hit 70,000+ miles. From everything I’ve seen it appears that thinner oil on startup is better for the turbo. So, for winter I’m using 0w30 which seems good so far, but for summer I’ve used 5w30.

I’m strongly considering Mobil 1 SP 0w40 in summer. My thought is that the zero gets to the turbo faster and the forty gives better protection at 70,000 miles.

I may be overthinking this whole issue but overall the 0w40 SP makes good sense to me. Advice?
VVT is Variable Valve Timing?

Unless your summer temps are significantly below zero, the winter rating of the oil is not going to have any impact on oil flow. You’ll be looking purely at the viscosity of the oil at whatever your startup temps are, and unless you’re beating on the engine before it’s warmed up there’s nothing to see here.

There’s nothing wrong with using a 0w40 as many of them have great ACEA certifications they meet, but understand that at summer temps you can easily use 5w40 or even 10w40 and have literally no difference in their flow speed to the turbo or their protection.

You can use 0W-40 all year and what gives you the idea the 40 will mess the VVT ? Where are you doing your research? I have been running 0w-40 M1 in my 2006 Tacoma 2.7 4 cyl with VVT and my Wifes 2018 Ford F350 6.2 V8 with VVT and Quaker State 5W-40 in my 2015 Ford F150 with the 2.7 engine. When I can get some SP 0W-40 M1 I will run that in the 2015 F 150. The Daughters 2010 Focus doesn't have VVT but it gets 0W-40 . I would say for the cost M1 0W-40 is the best oil in its price point[ Walmart shelf price] Then again probably most oils at a given price point will allow you engine to last as long as it is going to last.

In this video by Pat Goss titled "Choosing the correct engine oil is critical to engine life with Pat Goss from Goss Garage" ( https://bit.ly/2khKNi7 ), Pat says that (too) thick oil will "dam up" behind parts (at appx. 3:00 minutes into the video). He seems to infer that your oil won't be protecting your engine if you're not using the OEM recommended oil.

Ed
goss garage is the equivalent of a tabloid.

Ed
Baloney.

It seems to me that 0w40 is the best alternative to 5w30. At startup it seems it would flow quicker to internal engine parts and the turbo. At normal operating temperature it seems that it would offer a little better engine protection. Since oil pressure drives the VVT solenoids I’m a bit skeptical as to whether or not the 40 weight would have any effect.

I used to watch Pat Goss on Motorweek all the time. On the earliest shows he had some fairly decent information but the last several years he seemed to be searching for something to talk about. It’s been just very basic stuff like the color of atf vs engine oil or coolant. I just watched it and waited for the new t part of the show.

It seems to me that 0w40 is the best alternative to 5w30. At startup it seems it would flow quicker to internal engine parts and the turbo. At normal operating temperature it seems that it would offer a little better engine protection. Since oil pressure drives the VVT solenoids I’m a bit skeptical as to whether or not the 40 weight would have any effect.
At summer temps the 5w30 will still be thinner than the 0w40 in a “cold” engine. The winter rating is for when it’s WELL below zero; you’re looking more at the 40*C viscosity than you are MRV or CCS ratings…

I run 0w40 and 5w40 in my 04 Expedition and 05 Honda Element which both spec 5w20. Honda has VTEC which is vvt and it doesn't care. Not sure if the Expedition has it as it is the 2v and not 3v thinking not as it doesn't have cam phasers, idk first Ford I have owned. Run the 0w40 year round

I thought Mobil 1 0w40 was discouraged in GDI engines because of SAPS content and valve deposits. Isn't that the reason why Mobil 1 ESP 0w40 is recommended in Corvettes and Camaros?

Back