Are new SP rated euro oils safe for 2.0 ecoboost

I was wondering if any of the experts on here had any thoughts on the euro oils rated with the new SP rating are safe to use in new 2.0 ecoboost.
It seems that if they are rated sp they must be good at preventing lspi . Seems the only differences would be a higher hths that may have something to do with no ilsac rating. I think the higher hths would give better protection for the ecoboost which is known to beat up oil.

I’ve seen about as many Sasquatch as I have LSPI events.
I’m currently running Quaker State Full Synthetic Euro 5W40 in my 2.7 Ecoboost.
I have 6 Qt. of Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 on deck.
The Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is a ACEA C3 oil and it’s some good approvals.

My manual (2.3L Ecoboost) Says:

1689809925940.png

So SP's will be just fine.

Keep in mind though that the WSS-M2C946-B1 spec only applies to 5W30 oils, so if you go looking for that spec on something that isn't a 5W30 you won't find it.

I’ve seen about as many Sasquatch as I have LSPI events.
I’m currently running Quaker State Full Synthetic Euro 5W40 in my 2.7 Ecoboost.
I have 6 Qt. of Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 on deck.
The Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is a ACEA C3 oil and it’s some good approvals.
That’s a lot of LSPI events.

I’m using Valvoline 5w30 which had the highest HTHS I could find in an API/ILSAC Ford specd oil at 3.2 and I also would be very interested in a Euro.

Is there a Euro 5w30 that is also SP? I don’t think Pennzoil Euro L is. None of the Euros have the Ford spec but I’d think 5w30 and SP would be close enough Ford would not have much to argue about.

I’m using Valvoline 5w30 which had the highest HTHS I could find in an API/ILSAC Ford specd oil at 3.2 and I also would be very interested in a Euro.

Is there a Euro 5w30 that is also SP? I don’t think Pennzoil Euro L is. None of the Euros have the Ford spec but I’d think 5w30 and SP would be close enough Ford would not have much to argue about.
I’m used the Valvoline extended 5w30 for the first change because of the hths also. Mobil 1 esp is now sp rated and comes in 0 or 5w30. The 0 weight even has a pour point in -50 something range. Mobil 1 fs is also sp but I think it’s 0 or 5w40.
pezoil euro l is sp and Quaker state euro is also sp.
I’m thinkin of making the switch but thought the experts on here might have a reason not too. I’m not an expert

Absolutely. Pick any one you want. I'd use quaker state 5w-40 since it's best priced. Can also use m1 since it's one of the few 0w-40 SP's available if you want a bit better cold weather performance.

I was wondering if any of the experts on here had any thoughts on the euro oils rated with the new SP rating are safe to use in new 2.0 ecoboost.
It seems that if they are rated sp they must be good at preventing lspi . Seems the only differences would be a higher hths that may have something to do with no ilsac rating. I think the higher hths would give better protection for the ecoboost which is known to beat up oil.
Yes

By euro do you mean the higher hths oils? As lower hths euro oils such as mb229.71 are also present? But anyhow euro certification like MB229.5 in conjunction with SP are generally better than ilsac oils.

I found 5w30 esp api sp in 5 quart jugs at auto zone so I bought one. They only had the old sn in quarts and I my ecoboost takes about 5.5 to 5.7 so I just bought a quart of regular Mobil 1 5w30. I think that little bit should get along with the 5 quarts of esp. I think the 2.0 ecoboost should do well on it. My breakin early change was valvoline ep. Nice to see euros rated sp.

I chickened out on the euro oil this time. was worried it would affect the warranty. I put 5w30 quaker state ultimate protection with a Fram endurance filter.

So you traded one API SP licensed oil for another?
I read all kinds conflicting info on this site regarding the sp ratings of the euro oils. I figured I might as well stick with the sp energy conserving ilsac 6a ford wssm2c961a rating until I can do more homework and see if the euro versions will void the warranty. They are all mid to high saps . Wasn’t sure how that would affect anything. More homework on my part I guess. Maybe at the 10k mile oil change. I did the first change at 800 miles this one at 5500 and prolly do next one at 10k so the ecoboost should be happy for now

Maybe off topic, but I just sold a 2014 Escape with the 2L turbo engine. Going to a cat-back exhaust made a huge improvement in both power and fuel economy, and the used oil stopped smelling like gasoline. The engine did not burn oil using xW40s.

I read all kinds conflicting info on this site regarding the sp ratings of the euro oils. I figured I might as well stick with the sp energy conserving ilsac 6a ford wssm2c961a rating until I can do more homework and see if the euro versions will void the warranty. They are all mid to high saps . Wasn’t sure how that would affect anything. More homework on my part I guess. Maybe at the 10k mile oil change. I did the first change at 800 miles this one at 5500 and prolly do next one at 10k so the ecoboost should be happy for now
Two oils with the same API license aren't going to void your warranty.

I chickened out on the euro oil this time. was worried it would affect the warranty. I put 5w30 quaker state ultimate protection with a Fram endurance filter.
Been using 5W-40 Quaker Euro oil in the 2015 Ford pick up with the 2,7 engine for 5 years and just switched to M1 0W-40 since the additive package switched to SP. Why would the oil effect the warranty?

10k OCI?...
If your 2.0 is a known diluter, do 5K OCIs. That's the mileage a majority of Ford owners do for these known diluters.
Buy a Fram Ultra filter and run it twice - for a 10k run.

Back