Expert recommendations for 2.0 ecoboost

Found these . The ULTRA looks to be CERTIFIED Dexos 1 the same as the PLATINUM . Just not on the bottles as the P.P. . They're from the PENNZOIL site . Thought the U.O.A.s discovered would help the debate for D.I. fuel dilution and other non D.I. vehicles .

View attachment 194310

2016 PRIUS

View attachment 194311
Could you drop a link to the specification sheet? That’s the first I’ve seen of PUP being Dexos 1 licensed.

It's at their site under SPECIFICATIONS of the ULTRA . Scroll down to SPECIFICATIONS and click .

PLATINUM . Scroll down and click on SPECIFICATIONS .

Last edited:
4-6,000 mile oci’s if more highway then closer to the 6k. If ford recommends a blend I would opt for a full synthetic in 5w30. OE is always good filter choice while under warranty but you really can’t steer wrong with a wix, fram, or some of the better Chinese filters like an ecogard or microgard.

I’d stay with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil platinum line for oil choice.

I don't see any of the Pennzoils meeting the Ford spec you have, 961-A1. According to that link none of them have it. Doesn't make any sense.

Nevertheless, if I was going to get off the reservation regarding the Ford spec, it sure wouldn't be for thin for grade Pennzoil syns, it would be a Euro something or other.

OP from what I've seen you post, I think you'll sleep better at night if you find something your happy with that also meets 961-A1.

It's at their site under SPECIFICATIONS of the ULTRA . Scroll down to SPECIFICATIONS and click .

PLATINUM . Scroll down and click on SPECIFICATIONS .

That’s interesting. The TDS for PUP 5W-30 does not list the Dexos 1 certification nor does it list the newest Ford specification. I emailed Pennzoil and asked if PUP met the newest Ford spec for 5W-30 and they said yes, they just haven’t “updated” the TDS. That was well over a year ago. I used to be head over heels for PUP before I joined this forum, now my thoughts have shifted and I have learned a lot about oil. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with PUP at all, but I don’t see what makes it so special either. Meets the same specs as every other API SP GF6 5W-30 oil on the shelf at Walmart or the parts store. Pennzoil doesn’t really make any claims to it being superior to regular PP other than it being “race trusted” whatever that means. Not worth the price difference over PP imo.

Not that it matters much as there’s plenty of great oils out there.

My wife’s current’13 Fusion 2.0EB used to be my commuter. Purchased with 20k miles & currently creeping up on 185k.

From 20k to about 120k I had a hwy commute of 25-40mi each way. I ran Amsoil SS 5/30 on 10k intervals with an occasional Mobil 1 5/30 on a 5k interval.

At 120k my commute shortened to about 12mi each way in heavy traffic so it’s been on a 5k OCI using PUP 5/30 as I scored a killer deal on several 5qt jugs a while back. At 145k it became my wife’s car with a horrific 2mi commute and monthly extended trips.

At 175k I ran a qt of HPL EC with the PUP & at 180k its on HPL PCMO 5/30. Cut open the filter at 180k & didn’t see anything unusual. Will do again at 185k.

Once my supply of PUP is finished (using it in my Canyon as well as in-laws next service on their Honda) all my vehicles as well as my generator will be running HPL CK4 CC 5/40 as a good quality single solution oil.

For what it’s worth, the Fusion also receives top tier 91 fuel (usually Chevron but many others thrown in) & a transmission drain/fill every 20k. Brake fluid flush & coolant flush every 50k.

It’s been a very reliable vehicle only recently having lower control arms replaced.

I don't see any of the Pennzoils meeting the Ford spec you have, 961-A1. According to that link none of them have it. Doesn't make any sense.

Nevertheless, if I was going to get off the reservation regarding the Ford spec, it sure wouldn't be for thin for grade Pennzoil syns, it would be a Euro something or other.

OP from what I've seen you post, I think you'll sleep better at night if you find something your happy with that also meets 961-A1.
Only one from their list of TDS that meet the newest 5W-30 Ford spec is the regular PP. I have no idea why PUP or the black label full synthetic don’t have the more current Ford Spec.

I have a 2016 Fusion with the 2.0 ecoboost. I've got 75,000+ miles on it and have just been using Supertech Advanced 5w30 full synthetic and a regular Supertech oil filter. I change at 4,000 to 5,000 miles or every six months. The oil has always reeked of gas so figured short change intervals would be the way to go.

I have a 2016 Fusion with the 2.0 ecoboost. I've got 75,000+ miles on it and have just been using Supertech Advanced 5w30 full synthetic and a regular Supertech oil filter. I change at 4,000 to 5,000 miles or every six months. The oil has always reeked of gas so figured short change intervals would be the way to go.
The oil in my former Escape never had a gasoline smell. I changed the oil ever 5,000 miles.

I'm not expert, however, in that particular engine I'd run something with good HTHS, something that'll keep the engine clean and is formulated to make as few deposits as possible under high head and lots of miles. I'd also like for it to be affordable and easily available. That oil is Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30.

I've settled on a 5k OCI with an off-the-shelf synthetic (Havoline LifeLong 5W30 in my case). I'm comfortable that this will mitigate as many of the possible downsides with the I4 EB platform as possible without going to something expensive and doing OA's on it.

Last edited:
I'm not expert, however, in that particular engine I'd run something with good HTHS, something that'll keep the engine clean and is formulated to make as few deposits as possible under high head and lots of miles. I'd also like for it to be affordable and easily available. That oil is Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30.
That oil is popular for good reason, but it is neither API SP or Ford 961-A1 both of which the OP’s manual specifies.

Any good quality oil will be fine as long as it's 5W-30 spec or OW-30. Ford is particularly fond of Castrol oil of not using their own Motorcraft oil.
Keep in the OEM oil of Motorcraft isn't even full synthetic. You can get it full synthetic. Ford doesn't require a full synthetic oil for their engines.
I personally think Castrol Edge or Edge EP are best oils for EcoBoost engines. Ford specifically worked with Castrol engineers to develope certain motor oils for the European market and some specific oil specs. That 1.0L EcoBoost in Europe is one example. US spec is the normal Motorcraft 5W-20 fill.

How much do you really care about this engine? Owned several vehicles now with EcoBoost engines. It's been mentioned about intake valves getting carbon on them. LSPI can be a problem, very rare. Usually caused by lugging a turbocharged engine. Combined with an automatic transmission its extremely rare unless the transmission isn't shifting properly.
Where I'm going with this is use premium fuel. 93 octane. Better fuel economy, better performance. Ford recommends premium fuel of hauling or towing.
Will that Ecoboost run on 87 octane? Yes. Will that Ecoboost be happier on 93 octane? Absolutely. Long term on better fuel the carbon buildup problems will be nill.
I use nothing but premium fuel in my EcoBoost engine. I get significantly better fuel mileage. Better than window sticker.

^^^^ My Mustang only gets premium, 95% of the time Ultimate 93, and I’ve gotten as high as 27 mpg without trying.

Back