Considering a Class B RV ... Suggestions?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
On the return leg from my drive to HPL, I stopped to see a couple of friends in Sparks, NV. They've been involved with RVs for more than forty years, and they suggested that I consider a Class B RV, or camper van, if I plan to make any more long-distance trips, which I'd like to do.

My friends have used numerous RVs over the years of different sizes and styles. Right now they're using a converted Mercedes Diesel-powered Sprinter which is a very nice piece of equipment and certainly of an acceptable size for my needs. There'd never be more than two of us traveling, and most times I'd be traveling solo.

I wouldn't mind a Diesel engine. I've run several 7.3 Powerstrokes in the past and have always liked the benefits provided by those oil burners. I'm fine with gas power as well.

I don't want to make a long, rambling post about my travels and what I, or my friends, think I need. Truth is, I'm fairly ignorant about the genre and am just starting to learn. Part of my learning process is to understand what others have experienced and listen to their suggestions. So, if anyone here would like to jump in with such info, I'd be grateful.

It would be useful to know what brands of Class Bs are considered to be of good quality, features that you find necessary and those of little value, and info about which engines have proven durable as well as power and fuel economy. Also, what your maintenance experiences have been.

I plan to visit some RV sales places in Mid-September and again in mid-October, combining those visits with other trips. I have plans to be in the area where there are a good number of RV sales operations at those ties.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Many are built very substandard currently with replacement labor.

Also it was very popular during covid to buy boats and RVs some of these are now for sale.

I'd wait till camping season is over and scout out some in the 3-5 year old range(pre covid) with gas engine.
Maybe fly in and drive it home?.. but I'd make arrangements for a full inspection before purchasing.

New or used? They drop in value like a rock. I got this old Chevy if you dig shag carpet.

IMG_1255.JPG

Matt's RV Reviews on YouTube is good. He's a quirky guy but gets to the important stuff without dragging it out too much.

There are only a few of these brandwise I personally would consider.

Winnebago
Airstream
Sportsmobile
A EuroVam or Bus Westey in perfect shape.

They are all very expensive and (Mostly) sort of off roady…

How many digits in your budget? 4-5 or 6? 4 or low 5's you are probably best getting something like Atikovi has, and just look until you find one that has been maintained well and used recently. Domestic with a gas V8 with FI is probably the most economical overall, easiest to have serviced anywhere in N.A, and unless your are doing huge miles probably diesel doesn't save much...
We had a Fiat/Ram promaster lwb 4 person sleeper in NZ for a month and it was nice, decent hwy cruiser, and relatively easy to just drive around like normal.

Shel,

I am sure you will receive lots of responses to this thread.

A few questions that may help with input:

What is your vision with the RV?

What is your mission with the RV?

What are three or so key tasks you hope to accomplish the rv?

How many miles per day, per trip do you foresee?

What terrain will make up the majority of your trips? And times of the year?

And finally, which is a higher priority, safety of the rv or features?

I've got a class C "Jamboree Searcher" 23' with Ford econoline front end, 460, 4 speed auto.

They did a bangup job with the interior design, way better than I could have conjured with a "skoolie" conversion.

I take my 13 and 15 year olds camping with it and they just play with the RV gizmos. They can do that at home!

It's slow and drinks gas at about 7.6 MPG. I could tow a car behind it for running around, but that would make things even worse. Tops out at 55 due to aero drag.

It's obviously an RV and I haven't dared to "boondock" it parking quasi-legally anywhere.

I don't use the fridge or generator. Just pack a cooler full of ice on one of those receiver hitch shelf thingies.

Wish I got the class B van conversion instead. You're on the right track.

I have seen some [I think] Winnebago Sprinter conversions and they were amazing.

I considered getting one a while ago, but talked myself out of it. First, they seem a bit flimsy in build quality. 2) I hear the older ones tend to leak, and you pretty much can't give a "leaker" away. 3) the added cost of insurance vs amount of time actually is in use. No body by me has a large enough shop to work on them, or wants to. 4) The cost of going to a campground, is about what a hotel room would cost. 5) Where would I keep it when not in use?. I know that's not and issue for some people, but it would be for me. 6) And lastly, those things even a converted "schoolie", eat gas. A 100 mile trip might cost you almost $100.00 in gas. And as mentioned free camping can be dicey, and around town parking can be non-exsistant. Until I watched a few videos about it, I was amped up to get one.,,

I've got a class C "Jamboree Searcher" 23' with Ford econoline front end, 460, 4 speed auto.

They did a bangup job with the interior design, way better than I could have conjured with a "skoolie" conversion.

I take my 13 and 15 year olds camping with it and they just play with the RV gizmos. They can do that at home!

It's slow and drinks gas at about 7.6 MPG. I could tow a car behind it for running around, but that would make things even worse. Tops out at 55 due to aero drag.

It's obviously an RV and I haven't dared to "boondock" it parking quasi-legally anywhere.

I don't use the fridge or generator. Just pack a cooler full of ice on one of those receiver hitch shelf thingies.

Wish I got the class B van conversion instead. You're on the right track.
Yeah, my uncle got one of those too, used it for a couple weeks and sold it. To big, too much gas, etc.... Their solution for 2 people was a 2000's Jetta tdi dsg and a smaller semi aero camper trailer. They did many 1000's of miles with it, stayed at lots of walmart parking lots.

Go with a Conversion Van. Much easier to drive and park and feed and usually built to a higher standard.

Last edited:
When you own an RV you have 2 hobbies. Using it and working on it. Sometimes simultaneously. Anyone who's owned them if honest will agree. Not necessarily powertrain but everything else. If you like to tinker it may go okay. If you have to take it to a dealer for every little thing you'll hate it. I'm writing this sitting outside in the shade of our travel trailer north of Fort Collins Colorado 950 miles from home. I've had to make right a laundry list of things since I bought it lightly used that were all build issues or poor quality parts and this brand has a better than average rep. I accept the challenge because we like to travel and camp and sleep in our own bed.. I prefer something towable so I don't have to maintain, insure, store another ICE vehicle. I only know Shel_B from here but an RV might be more than his personality can take. It never ends. A class B might be less troublesome if it's built in the OEM van body. Just mho.

When you run the numbers, it's cheaper to drive your car and stay at five star hotels.
I'm assuming you've run some numbers and have made some comparisons. Please show me some numbers.

I just spent 17 days on the road staying at motels from cheap to expensive, and I've a pretty good idea of what lodging and gas cost, plus the cost of food on the road. It's cheaper to prepare food "at home" than to eat out every day. I'm curious to see how your numbers compare to my experience. Thanks!

Ugh, proceed cautiously. Leave a space for it in your driveway. Buy a tarp. Rent, rent before you jump in. There’s always gonna be one for sale.

The thing I see with class B is the size of the bed they get in there. You and your partner able to sleep on a full bed for multiple nights?

Also the restroom situation, and many have outdoor shower only, which basically means a shower curtain rolls out and you are showering outside the back of the van with a hand shower.

I think if you spend the night at a RV campsite with real showers, hookups, it might be fun, but if you are sitting in a walmart parking lot not so much.

Back