Considering a Class B RV ... Suggestions?

What do you mean by "off roady?"

They are more aimed at boondocking or “adventure” camping, atleast the ones I like. Built on Sprinter 4x4 chassis.

Like this:

Guess I probably should not have said most as airstream and Winnebago for sure make more standard ones.

I am sorry to hear about Sweetie, my condolences.

They are more aimed at boondocking or “adventure” camping, atleast the ones I like. Built on Sprinter 4x4 chassis.

Like this:

Guess I probably should not have said most as airstream and Winnebago for sure make more standard ones.

Boy, that would be a great van for me. A little spendy, unfortunately. pickups using a camper shell. Part time 4 wheel drive is far more interesting than AWD models.

Much of my traveling has been done with 4X4 pickups using a camper shell.

Thanks for your thoughts abt sweetie. I'm only now getting to the point where I can openly mention or discuss her passing.

Like this:

Boy, that would be a great van for me. A little spendy, unfortunately. pickups using a camper shell. Part time 4 wheel drive is far more interesting than AWD models.

Much of my traveling has been done with 4X4 pickups using a camper shell.

Thanks for your thoughts abt sweetie. I'm only now getting to the point where I can openly mention or discuss her passing.

Shel,

I am sure you will receive lots of responses to this thread.

A few questions that may help with input:

What is your vision with the RV?

What is your mission with the RV?

What are three or so key tasks you hope to accomplish the rv?

How many miles per day, per trip do you foresee?

What terrain will make up the majority of your trips? And times of the year?

And finally, which is a higher priority, safety of the rv or features?
I'd like a small van (under 20-foot would be nice) with the minimum amount of amenities to keep me comfortable and to help avoid motels and campgrounds as much as possible. OTOH, I'm not clear on what would be satisfactory for bathroom/shower facilities. I'm used to "roughing" it, but I don't yet know how rough I'd accept or want to be now that I'm approaching 80yo.

I'd like to be able to drive on secondary and even dirt roads as well as cruise comfortably on freeways and interstates. Multi-week adventures are what I've enjoyed in the past, and see no reason to change that now. I've driven anywhere from 200+ miles per day to more than 700 MPD on this trip to HPL. 400-500 MPD seems like a good, comfortable max, 300 is easy-peasy and leaves me with a lot of reserved energy and time to explore.

I'd say paved highways and secondary roads, but I do like dirt roads as well. Safety is probably more important than features. Traveling solo, and getting into remote or out-of-the-way areas would require a safe, sure, dependable vehicle.

Shel,

So very sorry for Sweetie's passing and your loss. I missed that in your post. I am sure she was deeply lived and admired by you until her last day, and she knew that.

I do know that the Chevy Roadtreks and Pleasure-ways have very limited ground clearance and all the parts under there are very expensive to replace. Your tanks including propane are under there and that is one reason we chose the one ton Dodge chassis. It has plenty of clearance and no generator or water heater to weigh it down.

I do know that the Chevy Roadtreks and Pleasure-ways have very limited ground clearance and all the parts under there are very expensive to replace. Your tanks including propane are under there and that is one reason we chose the one ton Dodge chassis. It has plenty of clearance and no generator or water heater to weigh it down.
Very good to know. Thanks!

You don't buy an RV to pencil it out against traveling by hotel room. It's a life style-not a way to sleep. Here is my rig-

Attachments

• PXL_20200928_194112971.jpg
    PXL_20200928_194112971.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 17
You don't buy an RV to pencil it out against traveling by hotel room. It's a life style-not a way to sleep. Here is my rig-
Not sure to whom you're addressing your comment, but since I started this thread ....

For me, it's mostly about not having to pay for lodging and for the ability to get to out-of-the-way places and enjoy the solitude and beauty that is found in nature and in this great country in general. To be able to find a spot that I'd like to photograph and be able to just hang out there until there's a more interesting light or a situational change.

I remember seeing a scene in North Dakota, on the eastbound side of the interstate while I was heading west. Had I some sort of camping vehicle - RV, shelled p/u, trailer - I'd have turned east at the next exit and found a place to hang out or explore while waiting for the morning sun to illuminate the scene.

I don't know if I'd call using an RV a lifestyle, but it would definitely be a part of my life. When I reflect back on some of the great experiences I had while using my pickup with its camper shell I think how nice it would be to capture some more moments like those as I approach 80yo.

Not sure to whom you're addressing your comment, but since I started this thread ....

For me, it's mostly about not having to pay for lodging and for the ability to get to out-of-the-way places and enjoy the solitude and beauty that is found in nature and in this great country in general. To be able to find a spot that I'd like to photograph and be able to just hang out there until there's a more interesting light or a situational change.

I remember seeing a scene in North Dakota, on the eastbound side of the interstate while I was heading west. Had I some sort of camping vehicle - RV, shelled p/u, trailer - I'd have turned east at the next exit and found a place to hang out or explore while waiting for the morning sun to illuminate the scene.

I don't know if I'd call using an RV a lifestyle, but it would definitely be a part of my life. When I reflect back on some of the great experiences I had while using my pickup with its camper shell I think how nice it would be to capture some more moments like those as I approach 80yo.
You just described an RV lifestyle.......

If you plan on using it a lot I would talk with people from a RV club or similar. They might have insights that will be helpful.

I have a few neighbors with RVs. A lot of the talk is what they have had repaired lately or what’s next on the maintenance schedule. Winterization, de-winterizing, tree branchs damaging rooftop equipment, electrical problems, you name it. They can be real money pits.

If you plan on using it a lot I would talk with people from a RV club or similar. They might have insights that will be helpful.

I have a few neighbors with RVs. A lot of the talk is what they have had repaired lately or what’s next on the maintenance schedule. Winterization, de-winterizing, tree branchs damaging rooftop equipment, electrical problems, you name it. They can be real money pits.

You take a very flimsy house on wheels made with cheap light weight material and go down the road and shake it at 60plus mph. Yep-things break.

If you can't deal with it-you shouldn't buy one.

As I've said to my wife, RV-ing is a rich guy's hobby.

As I've said to my wife, RV-ing is a rich guy's hobby.
Or a competent DIYer. Like I said earlier you have 2 hobbies .......or you pay to keep it all working.

Turns out Shel has experience dry camping and doesn't require major creature comforts like a shower or microwave etc. He wants to camp out not hook up in campgrounds.

@Shel, you need a wish list with must have features and abilities and negotiable features and see where it leads you. Too bad the Earthroamer is off the table.

Writing this sitting in our modest travel trailer outside of Santa Fe NM after a 450 mile day from Fort Collins. Also in the campground are $300k diesel motor coaches and tenters and everything in between. There's something for everyone.

The point is that things will still break regardless of the price point......

A quick visit with owners of expensive Class A's and 5th wheels in any given campground will tell you this.
That was not the point of my post. I think we're talking at cross purposes.

Or a competent DIYer. Like I said earlier you have 2 hobbies .......or you pay to keep it all working.

Turns out Shel has experience dry camping and doesn't require major creature comforts like a shower or microwave etc. He wants to camp out not hook up in campgrounds.

@Shel, you need a wish list with must have features and abilities and negotiable features and see where it leads you. Too bad the Earthroamer is off the table.

Writing this sitting in our modest travel trailer outside of Santa Fe NM after a 450 mile day from Fort Collins. Also in the campground are $300k diesel motor coaches and tenters and everything in between. There's something for everyone.
I may have put a lot of miles under my belt, and may have been very comfortable "dry camping," (I didn't know there was a term for what I did), but I'm older now and may very well want/need more creature comforts. As you said, I will need to determine what's important now, and what I can live with and without.

The more RVs of various designs that I see, the more I realize that there are things that seem to be important to others, and perhaps to the RV designers, that may be more than I want to surround myself with. For example, the idea of a satellite or other TV doesn't interest me - I don't even have TV service here at home ... but a dry bath does have appeal, as would having internet and possibly solar panels. OTOH, I've enjoyed taking showers outdoors in nice weather, but would that still be acceptable as my only alternative?

As noted in another post, I'll want to rent something for a week or so just to establish some point at which to start. More questions than anything else at this point. What I do know is that the Earthroamer is very appealing on many levels and at the same time a bit excessive as well. Thank goodness I don't have to make that decision ...

What about a large Lance slide-in on a 7.3L gas F350 DRW 4x4. I borrowed a friends Lance slide-in once & was quite happy with just me & the wife. My truck is a 2500 (SRW) & it didn't like a big slide-in during heavy crosswinds, Duals help a lot with that.

I like the fact you're not saddled with a upfitted chassis no one want to work on along with not dealing with trailer tires/brakes/bearings.

Reactions: GON
What about a large Lance slide-in on a 7.3L gas F350 DRW 4x4. I borrowed a friends Lance slide-in once & was quite happy with just me & the wife. My truck is a 2500 (SRW) & it didn't like a big slide-in during heavy crosswinds, Duals help a lot with that.

I like the fact you're not saddled with a upfitted chassis no one want to work on along with not dealing with trailer tires/brakes/bearings.
Also fairly capable off the pavement … Can separate the 2 for whatever reason …
Going to have various wind loads with all considerations …

Back