considering a wrx

Are there many other AWD 6MT sedans with turbocharged boxer engines?

I'm not a Subaru fan myself, but they do have a whole vibe, and people dig it.
You mean any other factory turbo "performance" vehicles that will grenade the ring lands with 100whp extra? No.

But if you want an AWD performance hot hatch, there is the Corolla GR, or the Golf Type R, or the Audi S3, or RS3, or use to be (sadly) the Focus RS, and probably plenty I'm not listing.

You mean any other factory turbo "performance" vehicles that will grenade the ring lands with 100whp extra? No.

But if you want an AWD performance hot hatch, there is the Corolla GR, or the Golf Type R, or the Audi S3, or RS3, or use to be (sadly) the Focus RS, and probably plenty I'm not listing.
Most people don't buy from magazines like you do, they buy what they like.

Most people don't buy from magazines like you do, they buy what they like.
I've driven WRX's, a friend of mine had several. They're fun cars. But they're just terribly undergunned in 2023. And yes, I buy what I like. Why do you think I bought the RDX over the Stelvio? Every magazine would have you believe the Stelvio was the better vehicle, but I hated it. It just so happens that sometimes the magazines agree with me, as is the case with my GT which keeps winning world award after award. I've got 20K miles on it now and like it more than the day I bought it.

(He sold the stupid 2021 STi after my RAV4 Prime kept up with it from a 50mph freeway punch after his initial hit (full boost at takeoff, and I gave him the hit) wore off, rofl!)

The STi did have a very competent AWD system with adjustable diff, though. That is one thing that is legit cool. Too bad it's the one thing Subaru killed, huh?

Just for fun you can see how modern cars perform vs. the WRX. Their lap times are similarly dominant as all three were featured in this year's or recent Lightning Lap around VIR.

Last edited:
It's because Subaru is a Rally Car company! Err...makes...ummm...made....heck with it, it's cheaper.
That's what cracks me up. I've seen people try to justify the unpainted bumpers and wheelwell arches "because it's a rally car". But if that were the case, wouldn't they have made WRXs with unpainted bumpers and wheelwell arches at some point prior to 2022? Maybe like back in the day when Subaru was actually heavily involved in rally racing? Fact is, the plastic is just something they brought over from the SUVs. Because if it works on the Crosstrek, it should work on everything else too right?

That's what cracks me up. I've seen people try to justify the unpainted bumpers and wheelwell arches "because it's a rally car". But if that were the case, wouldn't they have made WRXs with unpainted bumpers and wheelwell arches at some point prior to 2022? Maybe like back in the day when Subaru was actually heavily involved in rally racing? Fact is, the plastic is just something they brought over from the SUVs. Because if it works on the Crosstrek, it should work on everything else too right?
I'm honestly not mad about that part but I do agree it's a cost saver. If I were into a WRX, it would just be less to wrap. No, the new WRX fails because they killed the manual in top trim, and they killed the STi's awesome diff. Now it's little more than an awkward looking tiny sedan with a stiffer than normal suspension and sub-300hp 4 cylinder.

I'm honestly not mad about that part but I do agree it's a cost saver. If I were into a WRX, it would just be less to wrap. No, the new WRX fails because they killed the manual in top trim, and they killed the STi's awesome diff. Now it's little more than an awkward looking tiny sedan with a stiffer than normal suspension and sub-300hp 4 cylinder.
Yeah, its not a winner by the numbers on dry clean pavement, I suspect the WRX is still a better DD on bad roads or bad weather, than the more smooth pavement optimized competition? Also the extra displacement must make it a bit of a better DD as well, compared to the smaller engine competition? I dunno, its not a car for me either but having driven some older ones, I can see the appeal of the new one as its very similar.

Yeah, its not a winner by the numbers on dry clean pavement, I suspect the WRX is still a better DD on bad roads or bad weather, than the more smooth pavement optimized competition? Also the extra displacement must make it a bit of a better DD as well, compared to the smaller engine competition? I dunno, its not a car for me either but having driven some older ones, I can see the appeal of the new one as its very similar.
Well, its awd is nothing special, so inclement weather would come down to tires imo.

Why do these numbers matter? Much more to a car than 0-100. Everyone around me drives slow as molasses - I am sprinting away from them at lights with a slow 2L na engine slushbox all the time.

I guess it's bc I am not hanging out in the city with the night crawler miscreants.
Used to be one of them in the 70's ...

Also just gotta say: Gazoo Racing :LOL::ROFLMAO:😂

Why do these numbers matter? Much more to a car than 0-100. Everyone around me drives slow as molasses - I am sprinting away from them at lights with a slow 2L na engine slushbox all the time.

I guess it's bc I am not hanging out in the city with the night crawler miscreants.
Used to be one of them in the 70's ...

Also just gotta say: Gazoo Racing :LOL::ROFLMAO:😂
That's why I also brought up that the interior isn't so great, either. And if you want to play the "driving experience card", keep in mind it comes with a CVT if you want the model with a navigation system and recaro seats. That will set you back $43K. Just get an Audi S3 at this rate.

That's why I also brought up that the interior isn't so great, either. And if you want to play the "driving experience card", keep in mind it comes with a CVT if you want the model with a navigation system and recaro seats. That will set you back $43K. Just get an Audi S3 at this rate.
Seems like the smart buy is the basic version then, and buy your own recaro seat if you need that?
Have you ever driven a 90-93 Miata, if you can find a mostly stock one, take it for spin on a nice day on a nice winding road, and preferably on fairly average tires. No tech, no hp, not much grip, not much weight either, but either you will like it for what YOU can make the car do, or you will be frustrated by its lack of outright performance.
Maybe you are a go fast like a slot car guy? That's fine but not every car needs to be like that.

Seems like the smart buy is the basic version then, and buy your own recaro seat if you need that?
Have you ever driven a 90-93 Miata, if you can find a mostly stock one, take it for spin on a nice day on a nice winding road, and preferably on fairly average tires. No tech, no hp, not much grip, not much weight either, but either you will like it for what YOU can make the car do, or you will be frustrated by its lack of outright performance.
Maybe you are a go fast like a slot car guy? That's fine but not every car needs to be like that.
If the car isn't quick, shouldn't it at least be nice, is my point? Also, I am not into Miatas, I like flatter handling cars like the BRZ/FRS for that kind of feeling.

Yeah, the "smart" buy is the base WRX w/ 6MT at ~$30k.

Insurance rates on the WRX are typically insane. Plus you’re a cop magnet……but it is a fun car.

not bad for the money, tested a new 2001, poor pickup until high rpm said to be for protecting fragile AWD. tested + BOUGHT a 2001 wolfsburg jetta that felt like a tank compared to the tin can subie, traded it 200 thou later on a 2001 TT roadster 225Q which i still own. 23 subie better torque with DI but see only 12lb boost on specs, again to protect from breakage + mods which are many will quickly VOID warranty like other brands. i like them but would NOT buy one + the touted engine placement makes DIY harder!!! check out specific forums before buying anything IMO. test + try whats in your price range + buy what YOU like + can afford + as noted dont forget insurance as well as upkeep if you are not a DIYer, on that note Mr Subaru.com has some great vids!! happy motoring!!

Insurance rates on the WRX are typically insane. Plus you’re a cop magnet……but it is a fun car.
That's what the second car/winter beater is for. I drive my Honda Fit any time I'm worried about attracting the fuzz.

Back