Considering a Class B RV ... Suggestions?

What about a large Lance slide-in on a 7.3L gas F350 DRW 4x4. I borrowed a friends Lance slide-in once & was quite happy with just me & the wife. My truck is a 2500 (SRW) & it didn't like a big slide-in during heavy crosswinds, Duals help a lot with that.

I like the fact you're not saddled with a upfitted chassis no one want to work on along with not dealing with trailer tires/brakes/bearings.
I hadn't originally thought in that direction, but after seeing some videos of people with similar setups I expanded my thoughts to include a slide-in.

I would never use a DRW setup for off-pavement use. There are other options for both on and off the pavement for my potential needs, notably the super single. However, it's early in the exploration process so what I think today may change tomorrow ...

A 2500 SRW with a more modest slide-in sounds interesting. Maybe one the top pops up.

Shel hasen't mentioned a spending limit, that will help define his options.

Finding a well kept used unit that's had the bugs worked out seems like a good way to go. Our trailer was a couple of years old, barely used and untouched by the first time rv owner so I got to do the troubleshooting which was fine.

A 2500 SRW with a more modest slide-in sounds interesting. Maybe one the top pops up.

Shel hasen't mentioned a spending limit, that will help define his options.

Finding a well kept used unit that's had the bugs worked out seems like a good way to go. Our trailer was a couple of years old, barely used and untouched by the first time rv owner so I got to do the troubleshooting which was fine.
I've used campers in which the top pops up. While some may be better than others, and more to my liking, I was not thrilled with the two that I tried. One leaked a bit and the other didn't seem very sound structurally. Coincidentally, around 1993 or so, I put an offer in on a rig that had a pop-top camper, but I wasn't able to get it as there were other earlier and stronger offers.

Price is unable to be determined at this time. I'll be coming into some money and don't know how much it will be. I'm not buying one of these unless I can pay cash for it.

I'm interested in used, but it depends on what I decide upon. There are some units that appeal to me emotionally but which may not be very practical for my intended use and situation, and there are definitely others that are more practical (and economical) that I just can't stand to be within 100 feet of.

Shel,

I had a 2022 Chevy Suburban for a rental car yesterday (I paid for a compact and was comp upgraded).

I was amazed how nice the Suburban was. Tons of room, and the seats offered a lot of configuration options. If the primary purpose of the class b RV is a comfortable and safe place to sleep, maybe a COTS (Common off the Shelf), late model Suburban would match. If you are already cooking outside, and going the bathroom and bathing outside....... how much benefit is a class b RV over a Suburban for a single person? The Suburban will likely be more dependable, cost less, easier to park, and most important- considerably safer to drive, especially in bad weather to include wind and snow.

The only issue I see is heating in the Suburban. Even in the summer, many places especially desert places get cold at night. Not sure what options may be available for aftermarket climate control for a Suburban.

Shel,

I had a 2022 Chevy Suburban for a rental car yesterday (I paid for a compact and was comp upgraded).

I was amazed how nice the Suburban was. Tons of room, and the seats offered a lot of configuration options. If the primary purpose of the class b RV is a comfortable and safe place to sleep, maybe a COTS (Common off the Shelf), late model Suburban would match. If you are already cooking outside, and going the bathroom and bathing outside....... how much benefit is a class b RV over a Suburban for a single person? The Suburban will likely be more dependable, cost less, easier to park, and most important- considerably safer to drive, especially in bad weather to include wind and snow.

The only issue I see is heating in the Suburban. Even in the summer, many places especially desert places get cold at night. Not sure what options may be available for aftermarket climate control for a Suburban.
Gotta chuckle ... the Suburban is one of my saved searches at several auto sale sites.

I'm fine with sleeping in a unit like the suburban under many conditions and situations, although now, I want to be more cautious than when I was younger.

Something to note…. PAY ATTENTION TO THE WINDOWS. Ie, do you have enough? Our first camper was a rear slide, and it had long windows going down both sides, plus two on the rear slide. It was not punishment to be stuck in it during the rain, or when you just wanted to sit inside and read. Our current, smaller camper is a 19’. It has a frosted door window and 2 small windows starboard, and then a single emergency window on the port side, and a large window on the port side slide at the dinette. By count that seems like a lot, but there’s nothing to the rear, nothing to the front, and the kitchen wall is mostly solid. I feel like if the slide had small windows on its two sides (some lance campers do this) or a curved window on the front, it would be much more open feeling. I’ve wanted to trade it for this reason, but my wife reminds we that we are camping less and less, and the prices right now are silly high, so it doesn’t make sense.

Any powered camping unit will have a chassis mfg and an upfitter. Look into the relationship between the 2 and if the upfitter follows the chassis builders best practices for connections to the chassis. Some combinations will result in the 2 entities fighting over warranty claims and or the chassis builder will charge extra for repairs due to having to remove upfitter work.

I was having a conversation with an old guy a few years back (15 or so), and mentioned wanting an RV. He told me to buy a Buick and stay in hotels. The Buick is comfortable and gets good mileage, and the hotels are comfortable, and don’t break.

He said he watched all his friends buy RV’s and spend their free time cleaning and fixing stuff. Plus you will tow the Buick behind it anyway since RV’s aren’t the most maneuverable.

I do have interest in the RV’s based on the Sprinter. They seem a lot better than the old days of RV’s.

He said he watched all his friends buy RV’s and spend their free time cleaning and fixing stuff.
Went through that phase myself. The old saying about the two happiest days of a boat owners life can also apply to RVs. Thanks to covid, I actually made out pretty good after owning for 8 years and not moving from the same spot since purchase.

001.jpg

Back