Comments or thoughts on daughters extended warranty claim denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
the burden would be on the OP to prove the tires had been rotated, not for the warranty company to disprove he hadn't
We don't know for sure because we don't have a copy of the warranty contract here but it seems the warranty requires tire rotations and all other maintenance to be done only at that dealer where OP's daughter bought the car. If the warranty is written like that it does not matter if OP rotated tires or if tire rotation was done at some other dealer or garage. The OP's daughter did not have tire rotations done at the dealer and the dealer or warranty admin is using that warranty requirement to deny the engine repairs.

I just hope the trade in assistance the dealer is offering is legitimate and they don't bury the OP's daughter under a ton of overallowance on a new car. If she had any negative equity on the deal for her Escape that will make things even worse. I really hope she gets a fair deal out of this problem.

...... They have actually offered her some decent trade in value on another car ( more than I expected) so there is hope. She is pondering everything but for now she is using our second car to get to work.
I will update when I have news to share, thanks !!

You hate to jump into the current vehicle market, but this might be a good route to go just to get away from this particular vehicle / engine combo and save time and hassle. You can bet that if she does this, the dealer will get the warranty company to pay for a replacement engine, or mostly pay for it before they offer it up on their lot.

Dealer will probably find a used LKQ engine for cheap and pay the tech to replace it. The car is a 2017 so even with high kilometers it is probably in very good shape otherwise. Dealer will either put it on the used lot or send it to auction. Either way they will find a way to make a profit from it. They might even not fix the car and donate it to a high school or trade school auto shop class and use it for a tax deduction. Dealer will make money from it, one way or another.

Last edited:
So this is a company that will deny warranty because you have BLUE windshield washer fluid in the winter when the warranty states you must have PURPLE windshield washer fluid in the washer tank to keep ANY form of warranty. I would fight this one with a lawyer and then if that did not work I would picket the dealerships who carry this BS warranty. No one would be buying that insurance with my 4ft X16ft sign. That insurance company can choke my name down at their daily meetings. I would be sending hourly videos and pictures to their company to look at in those meetings. $ 8,000 for my motor or $8,000 PLUS less sales of their crap warranty to would be buyers.
This is not insurance at all, this is a 3rd party "warranty" which are mostly scams. What these unregulated companies do is put so many clauses and stipulations in the contract that its almost impossible to get any warranty work out of them, AND these companies know that 99% of people will not read the contract. Insurance is highly regulated even down to the size and type of font used in the forms and all policies must be approved by the DOI. The only extended warranty worth anything is an OEM warranty thatcomes with a factory cert used veh. The a/m companies are raking in $$$, thats why there are so many of them. Avoid them like the plague.

Reactions: GON
Never heard of tricare.

Did she actually buy this warranty or is this one of those "free" lifetime powertrain warranties on every car sold by ___ kinda sounds like it.

Where does she have it serviced? because ford's "the works" includes a rotation.

I'd be interested in reading the exact verbiage of the clause they are using to get off the hook...

Hi everyone, Mike from Manitoba here.

Last week our daughters 2017 Ford Escape 1.5 Lt had to be towed to the dealer because the high temp light came on and the car went into limp mode.
She was not worried at first because she had the extended warranty and had all oil changes etc done there as scheduled.( car has around 125000 km).
Then they tell her some coolant leaked into the block and caused engine failure and the repair cost is $8000 plus taxes . And unknown to her (and me) her claim
will not be covered because she never had her tires rotated as written in the small print. She said nobody told her it was required but its in the papers when you read every last word. I haver never heard of that in my life and I'm almost 65. So she is really stuck, they probably won't give her much on a trade , she is making payments
on a car she can't drive and she does not really want to part with the 8-9 grand to fix it. I did some online looking and is is a fairly common issue on these cars.
It has been a good vehicle up till now. Has any one else had a claim not covered due to tires not rotated, and what should we do with the car now?
Mike, consider contacting Phil Edmonston's organization, the Automobile Protection Association (APA). Edmonston is the author of the Lemon Aid books. The APA will help you with this.

Are you comfortable saying which Ford dealer it is?

I think we should all call Tricare tomorrow when they open up and give them a piece of our minds. 1-844-601-2018.

Same goes for the Ford dealers that are selling this crap insurance. Time to shame these guys into providing better customer service rather than denying an engine claim for lack of tire rotations.

Sure, they might win in court because of the legalese of the contract, but are they willing to shell out the money to send out their attorney or hire a local guy rather than telling the dealer to cover it or paying for the repairs? Will the judge in Canada review this case and not even let it get to the stand? I don't know how the law works up in CAN though.

The CBC exposure is a great idea, sounds like a story that will be easy to write and very click baity "Engine Warranty Denied Because Customer Didn't Rotate Tires, tonight at 6:00".

Shame the dealer and Tricare into compliance.

Don't forget Google Reviews either, lots of BITOG's that can drive those star ratings down lol.

If by some miracle the engine gets covered, trade it in ASAP.

Last edited:
Great replies everyone, not sure what the next step will be. Its too bad she never read the fine print and had the tires been rotated as required she would not be in this situation.
You are still assuming the dealer is arguing in good faith. If it's not the lack of tire rotation they'll say she put bad gas in. There is no way you can win by negotiating with them on their turf. This is an abusive relationship and the dealer is the abuser.

We wouldn't accept "Don't talk to [the dealer] when he's been drinking or if he slaps you it'll be your fault." Don't accept their bogus contract or what they say at face value. You and your daughter did nothing wrong and need an attorney. Your next step is to get an attorney.

... She is still talking to the dealer every day working on a solution. They have actually offered her some decent trade in value on another car ( more than I expected) so there is hope. She is pondering everything but for now she is using our second car to get to work.
I will update when I have news to share, thanks !!
NO. Don't take that sideshow.
Get the thing fix under service contract. They have NO excuse. FORD requires tire rotation at Oil change along with multi point inspection and fluid top off. Help your daughter. To you have an province attorney general? Their office should be notified of this practice.

They have actually offered her some decent trade in value on another car ( more than I expected) so there is hope.
They are distracting her with this in hopes that she'll drop it. As I've already said, but only based on what we know from you, they have the upper-hand from the contract side - she broke her end of the bargain. A lot of folks her can't focus or get past the fact that rotating tires has nothing to do with engine damage, but that's irrelevant and not the point. She signed an agreement to have all the services they say needs done and that she'll pay them to do it and in return, they warranty her car "forever".

I think we should all call Tricare tomorrow when they open up and give them a piece of our minds. 1-844-601-2018.
I'm not defending this Tricare company but it's the dealer that dictates or chooses the "conditions" related to the warranty. Sure, Tricare likely has basic warranty terms but they allow each client (dealers) to add more if they want.

If she had her dealership do all the scheduled maintenance on her vehicle,then yes,tire rotation is supposed to be included with the oil changes. That will clear her liability in this case. Have her round up all her receipts and get them together.

Like other posters have said, do not fall for their bait and switch trade in garbage. Find out first what all her scheduled maintenance included. After that is all settled,get her out of that pos vehicle and into a good one ASAP.

Whatever happened with this?

WAY back in the day we all of a sudden started selling this new warranty in the sales department - Ryan I think it was... they denied a lot of stuff... it eventually came out that basically the warranty money went into a fund and Ryan took a small cut to "administer" it but anything over a few hundred had to be approved by the dealer principal ... it also came out that things got covered if people were able to actually find him to yell at...

At least that is the way I remember it...

I halfway wonder if these lifetime powertrain warranty deals aren't something similar...

Whatever happened with this?

WAY back in the day we all of a sudden started selling this new warranty in the sales department - Ryan I think it was... they denied a lot of stuff... it eventually came out that basically the warranty money went into a fund and Ryan took a small cut to "administer" it but anything over a few hundred had to be approved by the dealer principal ... it also came out that things got covered if people were able to actually find him to yell at...

At least that is the way I remember it...

I halfway wonder if these lifetime powertrain warranty deals aren't something similar...

And this is why I no longer partake in the warranty scam.

It's just like insurance.. pay, and when you need it, you'll be punished (somehow) for using it. We can fight on this if you'd like. If not outright denied like in this here extended warranty..

Lots of complaints about Tricare in the internet.

Tricare is a scam, they look for any excuse not to pay. I bought it with my new 2009 F150, 3 years later I went to make a claim they said they have no inspection reports for my vehicle and it is now null and void. Holiday Ford, (worst dealer ever), will not take any responsibility for making sure the inspections get done, they are glad to sell it to you, know you have it, but will not do inspections yearly inspections unless you request them. The first I ever heard of these inspections was after my claim was denied, I was to receive email notifications to remind to do them, never received any. Holiday Ford, (worst dealer ever), has a meeting with Tricare's rep next week because the have a line of angry customer's over Tricare practices. DO NOT BUY A TRICARE WARRANTY.

5 months ago my wife bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited with 93k on it from Dixie Ford. It had TriCare lifetime warranty with mandatory oil changes / tire rotations every 8k. At the 9100k interval I was literally driving it to have the oil change when the engine seized and chewed up bearings, bending rods, and writing itself off. There was no oil in the motor, and while I don't check new motors the way we used to for oil, it had been checked within the last 3k. It sucked all the oil up and burnt itself out. Now I'm pretty savvy with cars and engines, so if you are wondering if I'm maybe just some clown that abuses his machinery, I assure you I am not. I drive for a living and am aware of the importance of engine oil. Don't let my user name fool you. So...

Fast Forward a couple weeks without our new Jeep, I agree to let TriCare tear the motor apart to analyze it on the agreement if they find abuse not only do they not cover it, I have to pay for the tear down. They said we were well within the oil change parameters as they allow 1,500 km grace from the recommended mileage. Fair enough, my wife drives it to daycare and work, I know there's no abuse, right?

TriCare voided the warranty due to our operation of the vehicle without oil!! Subsection 7 of your lifetime warranty clearly says the warranty is void if you operate the vehicle without oil! Wow.

We owned it for 9,100 km, 5 months almost to the day, and it had just gone over 100,000km, now the motor is a complete write off. And TriCare has washed their hands of the deal, there is no recourse whatsoever. We are stuck buying our own motor and paying somebody to replace it, thanks for your business! In conversation with TriCare they would not even give Dixie Ford the credit for doing an oil change when we took delivery. Their words were along the lines of, "Dixie Ford SAYS they did an oil change, we'll agree to that". Their own major client, and they sit on the fence with calling them liars...

So, to anybody interested, when you read this thread think twice about third party warranties. The individuals at Dixie are fantastic people, but TriCare is in the business of being in business, not helping customers...

This last person guy forgets to check his oil, then blames the warranty company.

If this were a GM product being so close the the warranty period you just call for goodwill coverage.

I’ve gotten it twice on out of warranty failures straight from the parent company

Usually easy to push on a common but major failure

I don't think we'll see an update from @mikes426 on this. Last time he was here was in January:

1653665244436.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back