Comments or thoughts on daughters extended warranty claim denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
I note that the Manitoba's Small Claims court deals with matters up to $15,000. If you don't have any luck with talking nicely to the service manager or Ford, I'd have a lawyer send them a letter (which might work), and if no luck there I'd take them both (dealership and Ford) to small claims court. Invite the press to come too. That's where you'll need an expert witness to say that missed tire rotations have nothing to do with an engine failure. Everybody knows that's the case but someone "with the knowledge" has to say it to the court.

Would cost you hardly anything and you might just win. It would be expensive (and a bit embarrassing) for the dealership or Ford to send a representative to defend themselves. With any luck the judge will stare them down and ask all sorts of awkward questions and then rule in your favour.

I note that the Manitoba's Small Claims court deals with matters up to $15,000. If you don't have any luck with talking nicely to the service manager or Ford, I'd have a lawyer send them a letter (which might work), and if no luck there I'd take them both (dealership and Ford) to small claims court. Invite the press to come too. That's where you'll need an expert witness to say that missed tire rotations have nothing to do with an engine failure. Everybody knows that's the case but someone "with the knowledge" has to say it to the court.

Would cost you hardly anything and you might just win. It would be expensive (and a bit embarrassing) for the dealership or Ford to send a representative to defend themselves. With any luck the judge will stare them down and ask all sorts of awkward questions and then rule in your favour.
When I say expensive for them and inexpensive for you, it's because they have to send a representative but you can go yourself with your daughter in tow. You'll have to find and subpoena an expert witness. Somebody like the shop instructor at the local auto mechanics training institute. If the expert agrees to attend but doesn't show up your case would be toast. But with a subpoena they have to attend.

Tire rotation is part of the service level - if it was not performed it's on the dealer as she brought it in for required services

Agree extended service contract company is garbage.
If she came in for an oil change and declined the tire rotation it's now back on HER . My Dealer doesn't do anything without my ok .

If she came in for an oil change and declined the tire rotation it's now back on HER . My Dealer doesn't do anything without my ok .
Imagine if health insurance worked according to this logic: you didn't change your socks, so we decline to pay for the treatment of your broken arm.

CBC's Marketplace is always looking for rip-off business practices to feature. This story would be the perfect grist for their mill.

I don't suppose Ford, the Insurance Company or the Dealership would like to be an episode's feature. Seems they'll often tidy up a situation rather than go on the air to justify what they've been doing.

Its Tricare

Had to google it, but it looks like a Canada only warranty/plan.

Have you tried calm/cool talking to dealer management? (not a service advisor). You need to speak with a service manager, dealer GM or owner. What you described is absolute BS if your daughter had all services done at the dealership that sold her the vehicle and warranty and made no mention of the tire rotation BS. What would that have to do with the failure item anyway, regardless of how it's written.

It would be my life's mission at this point to tell everyone and anyone about this situation and how you were dealt with by this particular dealership and their people.

I've had both "manufacturer" and aftermarket extended warranties in the past that were sold to me through the (vehicle) selling dealership. The only ones I used were the aftermarket and they always covered repairs with no problem at all. Some of them in the thousands of dollars.

I've had both "manufacturer" and aftermarket extended warranties in the past that were sold to me through the (vehicle) selling dealership. The only ones I used were the aftermarket and they always covered repairs with no problem at all. Some of them in the thousands of dollars.
You basically got lucky. This is SOP for a lot of aftermarket warranties as they try to weasel out of coverage. The manufacturer warranties are better as they don't have to make that much money and won't go under if the claims are too high. That's usually why they offer better coverage and have lower costs. Usually they negotiate a better labor rate for warranty work vs regular rates, the aftermarkets can't do that. The dealers like to sell the aftermarket ones because the profit margins are higher. Higher profit margins just means less coverage down the road. Basically with the aftermarkets, you're going to pay more and get less.

Do you have any promotional material for the warranty coverage? Something that makes promises without the fine print taking it all back? Gather your evidence and talk to a lawyer.

Unfair contracts are unenforceable in many cases in the US and Canada has by and large friendlier consumer protection laws.

Ski tickets have that verbiage on the back saying you can't sue them. People still sue them all the time. If the verbiage stops 10% of lawsuits its worth the ink.

Don't tip your hand to the dealer any more. Don't get discouraged by the fine print or by pessimistic internet ramblings. Get a lawyer.

I do find it laughable that they specifically say they don’t cover tires, but then will point to the tires for the reason being the engine popped…

Great replies everyone, not sure what the next step will be. Its too bad she never read the fine print and had the tires been rotated as required she would not be in this situation. She is still talking to the dealer every day working on a solution. They have actually offered her some decent trade in value on another car ( more than I expected) so there is hope. She is pondering everything but for now she is using our second car to get to work.
I will update when I have news to share, thanks !!

Great replies everyone, not sure what the next step will be. Its too bad she never read the fine print and had the tires been rotated as required she would not be in this situation. She is still talking to the dealer every day working on a solution. They have actually offered her some decent trade in value on another car ( more than I expected) so there is hope. She is pondering everything but for now she is using our second car to get to work.
I will update when I have news to share, thanks !!
This is very good news, please do keep us posted. I really hope it all works out great for everyone involved. Just don't let them sell her that same bogus warranty again!

Hi everyone, Mike from Manitoba here.

Last week our daughters 2017 Ford Escape 1.5 Lt had to be towed to the dealer because the high temp light came on and the car went into limp mode.
She was not worried at first because she had the extended warranty and had all oil changes etc done there as scheduled.( car has around 125000 km).
Then they tell her some coolant leaked into the block and caused engine failure and the repair cost is $8000 plus taxes . And unknown to her (and me) her claim
will not be covered because she never had her tires rotated as written in the small print. She said nobody told her it was required but its in the papers when you read every last word. I haver never heard of that in my life and I'm almost 65. So she is really stuck, they probably won't give her much on a trade , she is making payments
on a car she can't drive and she does not really want to part with the 8-9 grand to fix it. I did some online looking and is is a fairly common issue on these cars.
It has been a good vehicle up till now. Has any one else had a claim not covered due to tires not rotated, and what should we do with the car now?
Can you name the warranty company or is it actually Ford Motor Company refusing coverge?

I do not see anywhere she decline a tire rotation. It usually part of tier 1 service level. I have to look at my ford manual.
Wife just took car to her selling Subaru dealer at 15k miles. They did the OC, chassis and body Lube, tire rotation, complete vehicle inspection, all fluids top off - and it was FREE - even though I did a 1/2 interval first oil and filter change and a the first service prior.
I didnt recall during the sale that first service was free.

Maybe let the dealership know your Daughter is soon to reach out to the CBC so the network can do a television special that will also be posted to youtube about their business practices:
Maybe just show up unannounced with the vehicle, accompanied by several large white vans each equipped with those extendable live-broadcast antenna things on them, and each van emblazoned with the logo of a local TV station. A full crew of cameramen and reporters from each van will follow you into the dealership, filming each and every move...

• Love
Reactions: GON
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back