Collinite 845 or 476s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
476 is more durable, per collinite. Apply two coats with 24 hours in between coats. 845 is easier to apply and remove and doesnt stain trim. Always go thin when applying no matter what you apply. If you go too thick with the 476, your shoulder will hurt when removing.

There's some speculation that the 845 is the same stuff with more solvent added. If you have a DA polisher, its a pretty easy choice.

845 for the win.they both hold up well but 845 is a dream to work with. you can layer it with ease. I have used 476 with no issues but it needs to go on super thin and most people use way too much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikered30
476 is more durable, per collinite. Apply two coats with 24 hours in between coats. 845 is easier to apply and remove and doesnt stain trim. Always go thin when applying no matter what you apply. If you go too thick with the 476, your shoulder will hurt when removing.

+1 Spot on. If you have a DA, i have seen people apply a spray top to collinite and spray the finishing pad and work panel by panel. Never tried it but it should be applied as little as possible.

I use Insulator on my rims and 476 on the rest of the car. Apply by hand, thin! And remove with a DA with a microfiber bonnet, works perfect. Last about 6-8 months or longer. I did my Volvo in July and it still beads to this day.

Originally Posted By: matrass
845 for the win.they both hold up well but 845 is a dream to work with. you can layer it with ease. I have used 476 with no issues but it needs to go on super thin and most people use way too much.
I agree with your statement about 845, especially after using their 915 wax. The 845 seems pretty durable.

I'll be applying a thin layer of 845 this morning over Duragloss 501, which was applied last evening (I'm giving it time to bond). Gotta love the product, as long as you don't apply too much, which unfortunately is easy to do.

476 all day. I know 845 has a following but i prefer 476. Just like a few said don't wait to long to remove it.

885 is the same stuff as 476 also. It can usually be found cheaper per ounce than 476.

I just used 845 for the first time on a Mustang w/a fresh, single stage paint job and I'm a total believer now. The shine is simply amazing, and considering how easy it was to apply and remove (being conscious of the "thin" rule), this will now be my go-to wax for all my vehicles.

Though I can't offer a comparison vs the other Collinite waxes, I find it difficult to believe anybody could go wrong w/845. Perhaps, if my vehicles were parked outside, I might go w/476 or 915 (probably based upon a wrong belief that paste waxes are superior to liquid ones). But then again, 845 isn't like a regular liquid wax...you definitely have to warm the bottle and liquefy it prior to application (not to mention, constantly shake the bottle for good mixture). When sparingly applied w/a DA buffer and buffed w/basic microfiber towels, it's a breeze.

BTW: Many of the detailer websites sell it for $16-18/bottle, but then tack $5-7 shipping on top of that. There are a few guys selling it on Ebay w/free shipping for $16. Considering you'll only use 2oz or so per vehicle (unless we're talking huge truck or large SUV), it's a bargain.

M_C

Originally Posted By: Mustang_Cougar
But then again, 845 isn't like a regular liquid wax...you definitely have to warm the bottle and liquefy it prior to application (not to mention, constantly shake the bottle for good mixture). When sparingly applied w/a DA buffer and buffed w/basic microfiber towels, it's a breeze.
Hmmm, I keep my bottle of 845 inside the house and it's always in a liquid form ... don't need to warm it up at all. I do have to shake it well prior to use. I found 915 to be very difficult to remove and required much more effort to achieve a good finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back