Coffee maker recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Ninja Coffee Bar...you can make everything from a single cup to a full pot. Drip coffee beat a K cup every time.

If that is good enough for you, have at it. IMO, there is better coffee out there.

Our old Bunn BX is a good simple 10 cup,
Our new Cuisinart DCC3200 is 14 cups with timer and some other settings.
Both make good coffee.
The last generation SJX33GT Mr Coffee worked well, but the newest one does not.

I recommend trying a french press. I use a Bodum Chambord 8 cup for my daily coffee, and I will never buy an electric coffee maker again.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Ninja Coffee Bar...you can make everything from a single cup to a full pot. Drip coffee beat a K cup every time.

If that is good enough for you, have at it. IMO, there is better coffee out there.

Ah yes, all those examples you gave of better products is very helpful.

If you want to pay a premium price for each cup of mediocre coffee, then by all means buy a Keurig.
There are better choices.
The key to a good brew is that the water is heated enough and that it drains slowly enough through the ground coffee. A cone style coffee maker does this, like our old Braun.
For the ultimate in brewed coffee, a percolator that you use on the range is the best choice. My mother makes coffee using one of these. You need to pay attention and bring the heat down once it starts to perk and you need to time it within reasonable limits after that, but that does result in coffee a Keurig user knows nothing about.
If you want a cuppa Joe cheap and easy, any gas station you pass on your way to work will sell you Keurig quality coffee for a fraction of the cost.

Originally Posted By: car51
440Magnum: I have had coffee from a Keurig and I liked it

bioburner: I have maybe 2 cups of coffee in the morning, 1 with breakfast and 1 for my to go coffee.

I like the Keurig, even with less expensive coffee. Mickey D makes K cup coffee now and it's not bad.

Last edited:
Fdcg27: I actually have one of those stove top ones and some circular filters
smile.gif
. May use that on weekends when I have time in morning. Local KWIK FILL near me has good coffee also. Thanks for that tip bout stove top percolator also

Cuisinart Brew central DCC-1200 would be my pic. It makes good coffee, has charcoal filter for water, and a timer. Pretty basic but makes good coffee and lasts. My last one lasted 7 years..prior to this I had a more expensive brand that broke after a month..

Originally Posted By: ET16
How about an espresso machine?

+1. Way better than Keurig.

I've tried a bunch of Keurig stuff, and it all tastes like typical gas station brewed swill - lots of acidity and very little actual flavor. I'll drink it if there is nothing else around, but it's far from good coffee. If you want the convenience of capsules and brewing by the cup, try Nespresso, but it's more expensive per capsule.

Keurig...If you drink 1-3 cups over the day....it will save you a ton. My local discount store sells 96 KCups for $19.99

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Keurig is convenient but expensive. If you like iced coffee the new Ninja coffee machine is a must. It does an excellent job. It also does a good job with regular coffee. You have the convenience of doing one cup or a carafe as well.
I own both of these and the Ninja is on the counter most of the time. The whole Family loves it. I drink both hot and iced coffee and it works great. I love the option of making pretty much any size coffee I want.

keurig sucks. Nothing that puts the water through in 20seconds will ever taste right. Also very pricey (per cup and for the machine)

I'd go with a SCAA certified coffee pot.. but I'm serious about my coffee.
The cert. shows it was tested to produce the right temp water etc.

https://www.scaa.org/

https://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Technivorm Moccamaster
Behmor Connected Brewer or Behmor Connected Coffee Brew System
KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802
KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer (model KCM0801OB)
Bonavita Coffee Maker (model BV1900TS)
Bonavita BV1900TD 8-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer
OXO On 9-Cup Coffee Maker
OXO On 12-Cup Coffee Maker
Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker
BUNN 10-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
Behmor Brazen Connected 8 Cup Coffee Maker
Lance Larkin BE 112 Brew Express
Bonavita 8 Cup Exceptional Brew Coffee Maker with glass or thermal carafe
(BV1800 and 1800SS)
Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup Coffee Brewer

I personally have the technivorm moccamaster, and a bonvita 1900ts

The Technivorm is slightly better but both are excellent.

I dont own but have personally used the Bunn phase brew, OXO 9-cup, and a behmor model.
All were also exceptional.

Behmor is the brand of my coffee roaster.. they just branched out into more coffee gear.

Get the melita unbleached pore filters if you prefer paper.. or a good stainless one if you prefer more sediment and full oils.

For single cup if you dont mind fiddling with it.. an aeropress will produce amazing coffee.
https://www.aerobie.com/product/aeropress/

They are sold at amazon, target, and kohls.

Keurig works fine with K cup adapter with Tim Hortons coffee. I only drink 1 to 2 cups max a day. Pain in the butt to clean but its part of the monster.Use purification water to keep it alive longer.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I'd go with a SCAA certified coffee pot.. but I'm serious about my coffee.
The cert. shows it was tested to produce the right temp water etc.

https://www.scaa.org/

https://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

I was curious so I looked up the criteria. They are:-

1. Coffee Volume 55 grams/liter

2. water contact time 4-8 minutes

3. water temperature 92 to 96 degrees

These are all fairly easily controlled manually.

4. strength (solubles concentration) of between 1.15% and 1.35% resulting from an extraction
(solubles yield) of between 18.0% and 22.0%

Thats a bit trickier. I assume these are % weight figures, but they determine them indirectly using a coffee refractometer. I've got a sucrose refractometer somewhere but it probably wouldn't work for this.

However, the strength is dilution-dependent, so I can't see why it couldn't be determined gravimetrically by weighing the (air dried) grounds.

22% does seem a rather high extraction though. Won't that cause bitterness?

5 and 6 are uniformity measures which seems unlikely to be a problem for immersed infusion. Grind is probably be a variable for this and the other parameters but doesn't seem to be discussed or controlled.

7. Sediment : Less than 75 mg filterable (but filtration medium is not specified) in 100 mls.

I filter anyway, so this'll depend on the medium, but this limit will probably be exceeded using my usual stainless steel

8. Temperature maintenance : Between 80 and 85 degrees for 30 minutes.

Dunno. Will have to check my Thermos, but I can always add insulation.

9. Comprehensive instructions : Verbal only in my case. Taiwanese girlfriend wouldn't read written ones anyway.

Overall doesn't seem difficult to achieve, except maybe the extraction efficiency which will remain an unknown unless I actually measure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back