Coastal oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local garage here does oil changes,up to 6 quarts and no name filer for 25 bucks tax included.They advertise Coastal brand oil. Aside from the low price filer, what about the oil? The bulk labeling says it's SM rated 10/30. They also offer more expensive grades of Coastal and known brand filters for more money.
I use this oil change on my winter beater 4.0 Jeep, can't do it myself for that money..... You think the oil is adequate for more than an old clunker?

I'm sure it will be just fine for the Jeeps. Why can't you change it yourself for under 25? My local Sams club has TropArtic in various grades about 26 bucks for 12 quarts. Pick any filter you want and your changes will still be under 25 a pop. Well under.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
I'm sure it will be just fine for the Jeeps. Why can't you change it yourself for under 25? My local Sams club has TropArtic in various grades about 26 bucks for 12 quarts. Pick any filter you want and your changes will still be under 25 a pop. Well under.

I spend my time working on vintage motorcycles and 25 bucks is a good price for not crawling under a greasy Jeep
grin.gif

Coastal Oils are sold at AutoZone Parts Stores also! I believe that, if it is blended by Warren, it's Warren Uni-Lube and not Warren Performance Products(WPP/WNE) of Omaha, Nebraska. Either of these markings would be on the bottom of ^^^ the bottle or jug.

Last edited:
Coastal got busted a while back for putting 10w30 into 5w30 bottles. They strike me as an "as cheap as they can get away with" blender.

Do you think the bulk Coastal oil in the same as the stuff in the one quart bottles? This is the first time in 40 years I didn't do my own oil change. My neighbor has been getting the inexpensive Coastal oil change at the same place for 10 years in his Ford Ranger...I don't see his crankshaft laying in the road
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Truckedup
Do you think the bulk Coastal oil in the same as the stuff in the one quart bottles?

That is not a question that I can even pretend to be able to answer. For that, you might want to try contacting Coastal.

Quote:
Please feel free to contact our knowledgable team of experts to answer any questions on Coastal products and their proper applications at: 1-855-899-7467

That's always a concern...The shop is not a Mr Quicky oil change but a full service garage. I can only assume they are experienced enough to do the right thing.

I used Coastal 10w30 (sold under the O'Reilly's brand at the time) for several years in my last Jeep without issue. I'd not be concerned about the oil, maybe what filter they are using (no ecores for me) and I would not be inclined to let a quick lube jockey within 20 feet of my Jeep.

Jeeps are easy to change oil on you don't even have to use ramps.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Coastal got busted a while back for putting 10w30 into 5w30 bottles. They strike me as an "as cheap as they can get away with" blender.

More like 11 years ago "a while" back. Not exactly the crime of the century and no evidence anybody's engine exploded because of it. IIRC, it was one day's production run that included both Coastal and Advance Auto's private label.

The one mislabeling issue aside, their oil has always met spec from what I have seen. They probably have sold more under private labeling than anything else.

If you bring in your own stuff will they change it for you? You could buy better products (Shell T6 is supposed to be great for those old 4.0s) If you decide to go the original route I can't see Coastal being bad for a clunker. It is blended in the relm of the wolf's heads and the supertechs of the world. Good stuff but nothing fancy like the BITOGers prefer
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back