Classic Scout is coming back

But VW is banking on something Rivian doesn’t have, a backstory. An avid fanbase in America fondly remembers Scout.

I thought Volkswagen had good corrosion resistance?

I suppose they could always chop an electric motor in half and see if that does the trick…

I have been wondering about this As far as I know, Scout is now a US-based subsidiary of VW because VW bought International a couple of years ago. I love the old Scout but I'm not into electric vehicles at this point. I'm still interested in seeing with what they come up.

I thought Volkswagen had good corrosion resistance?

I suppose they could always chop an electric motor in half and see if that does the trick…
I know Scouts supposedly came factory-fresh with rust but out here we still see them on occasion. The undercarriage may well be mostly missing but I know the vehicle is still regularly in use.

Part of me is thrilled that something about electric drives allows intellectual property owners to be flexible with body form factors.

The other part of me sees this as the natural progression of junky vehicles with the retro craze that started with the New Beetle/ PT Cruiser. (Though the NB was no worse than a Golf.)

I'm totally confused.

I remember the International Scout. But I have no recollection of Volkswagen ever offering a Scout model. So I'm curious how VW is going to offer a Scout SUV that "America fondly remembers".

I'm totally confused.

I remember the International Scout. But I have no recollection of Volkswagen ever offering a Scout model. So I'm curious how VW is going to offer a Scout SUV that "America fondly remembers".
It'll be a Scout brand, like Ram became a brand. Stupid boomers with money will be the first to buy because it's "cute."

Part of me is thrilled that something about electric drives allows intellectual property owners to be flexible with body form factors.

The other part of me sees this as the natural progression of junky vehicles with the retro craze that started with the New Beetle/ PT Cruiser. (Though the NB was no worse than a Golf.)
And this instant classic...... Up until here I was a big T-Bird fan (excluding the '70's)

1710726801209.jpg

As a kid my neighbor drive two different Scout II's. We played with their kids a lot and I don't ever remember them ever having mechanical issues. He drive the second one all through the eighties and early nineties until they moved away.

I really liked them. It was like riding in a Jeep except with decent heat and better back seats (a kid's perspective).

Most folks who truly remember these are moving quick into the old folks home….

It doesn’t have the same status as say, the hippie bus.

I don’t see any success here……

Most folks who truly remember these are moving quick into the old folks home….

It doesn’t have the same status as say, the hippie bus.

I don’t see any success here……

I dunno…

There were plenty still on the road when I was growing up.

My much-younger wife was born in the 80s and had a Scout II as her second car…first was an M1008 when she turned 16…her father was great in that regard. We have been discussing a Scout II as a “toy” vehicle for a while now.

I dunno…

There were plenty still on the road when I was growing up.

My much-younger wife was born in the 80s and had a Scout II as her second car…first was an M1008 when she turned 16…her father was great in that regard. We have been discussing a Scout II as a “toy” vehicle for a while now.

I think that might depend on the area too. Sadly, they were nor as common here, even really at the local classic shows either. I’ve seen a few, but I am more of a car guy. :) Scouts themselves have grown on me over the years. Wouldn’t mind one myself.

More of your old school Truck/SUV crowd knows Scout……..

It’s not that I would want them to fail- but I fail to see how it will ring with the younger generations buying these,,,especially in EV form.

Here is the 2020 deal where Volkswagen happened to get the rights to the Scout name. IH who owned the Scout name was absorbed into Navistar and Navistar was bought by Traton, owned by Volkswagen. Traton also ones Scania, common all over Europe. I wonder if they knew about the Scout name ownership when they priced the deal.

21F25E54-4C71-4C2A-A8DC-1A000EB5C5C9.jpg

Back