Checked out 2022 ID4 yesterday and new 2023 with massive discount

WOW! My wife and I looked at a 2022 ID4 Pro with less than 7,000 miles on it. It was the managers car from a VW dealer. Prestine Showroom Condition. Not on mark on the car.
Very nice, sharp looking car with some nice touches like a brown leather like material on top of the black dashboard and also the same look on some of the door trim. Awesome expensive looking lace wheels. AS I type this, I cant believe I didnt take a photo *LOL
Wife liked it a lot but my petite wife thought is was a bit larger than she imagined yet at the same time she would have took it *LOL*

With that said, when we were speaking to the salesperson, I put him on alert to not try to sell us anything and he didnt. I told him the problem was it was a BRUTAL long ride to what I thought would be a tolerable ride to our closest VW dealer. IT wasnt, it took us 50 minutes to get there. No way even if the next condition was met would I buy a vehicle if I had to go that distance each way for a service.

That next problem was we intentionally looked for a 2022 so it would qualify for the gift of $4000 from my fellow taxpayers. Duh ... I forgot to get that $4000 the car has to be priced at 25k or less. The ID4 was 30K

Ok, so with that said, the dealer has a brand new 2023 on the lot. Every option in the book which brings the cost up to 57k
VW itself is offering massive discounts to get the new 2023s off the lots and this particular 57k has massive VW and dealer discounts PLUS of course qualifies for the additional handout of $7,500 from my fellow taxpayers. Sweet deal if that is something you are looking for.

We are not, this car IF and only IF we buy an EV is a second rarely used car. Just something to refresh the mint condition 2012 Mazda with 95k miles on it. Im not spending more than 25k minus 4k tax credit or simply keep looking for a Chevy Bolt, we have a few close by Chevy dealers or a Trax or Trailblazer type ICE vehicle. Soon I will put this whole idea on the back burner for another year and enjoy the summer. ;)

Best part about buying a car is when you dont need one and no rush.

Check out this deal, EV sales are hurting I think. Call me crazy but the ID4 to us is beautiful
This is brand new, left over 2023
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 9.28.11 AM.jpg

This is the car (below) that we were interested in. VERY nice. Thing is, look at the car above! and the one below, no tax credit... so no deal also for the other reasons mentioned in my post. Unless they call me and let this one go for 25k
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 9.33.28 AM.jpg

What does it say about you wanting a government handout in order to buy a car?? What does it say about anybody that wants a government handout to buy anything?
I see your point, but the government (we the taxpayers) subsidize lotsa things. Corporate bailouts, tax breaks for the rich, patrolling the Gulf, you name it.

At least now, there are income limits for EVs and hybrids. If you make over $150K AGI you don't get the tax credit. Full disclosure, I got the Federal tax credit in 2018 for our Model 3 (but not the CA version). It definitely swayed my decision to buy.

This is just my opinion; I respect yours and others.

What does it say about you wanting a government handout in order to buy a car?? What does it say about anybody that wants a government handout to buy anything?
It absolutely does not say anything. I don't agree with this handout just as I don't agree with many other handouts. But you can be sure that I will use the handout if I am eligible.

Absolutely! I'll take all I can get out of all the voters want to give. I am the last person on earth to vote for it but I am overruled by the majority and will take it because I am already paying others to take it, Im forced into it and I pay a healthy share in taxes.

Anyone in here that got stimulus checks and cashed them instead of ripping them up, is that different? Anyone in here taking handouts on their tax returns, is that different? If you look at my reply the questions sound silly. (no politics, my point of view and wont reply further) :)

@FlyingVan
Agree with you 100%

Last edited:
Absolutely! I'll take all I can get out of all the voters want to give. I am the last person on earth to vote for it but I am overruled by the majority and will take it because I am already paying others to take it, Im forced into it and I pay a healthy share in taxes.

Anyone in here that got stimulus checks and cashed them instead of ripping them up, is that different? Anyone in here taking handouts on their tax returns, is that different? If you look at my reply the questions sound silly. (no politics, my point of view and wont reply further) :)
Exactly. If you already paid into it, are you not going to use it?

Well, if you were buying you could send the US Treasury $7500 so you would feel better. They will take it, no problem.

Those prices are about right. The 2024 models are a significant upgrade and the market has spoken.
Man, I have to say, to me, its a sharp looking car (ID4)
But it seems that they over estimated demand. Besides the left over 2023 and used 2022 they have 4 new 2024. I noticed the 2024's priced a little lower than the 2023. Meaning the most expensive one is 51k vs the 2023 at 57k

Anyway, if I do anything this year with an EV it will be a Bolt EUV *LOL* There are two VERY low mileage, one not to far, the other 2 hours away.
Not bent on buying a car, looking around and if one drops in our lap it does. It's the way we roll, Car, Bikes and Boats.

At least now, there are income limits for EVs and hybrids. If you make over $150K AGI you don't get the tax credit. ...
These are the income limits for new vehicles;
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 12.35.42 PM.jpg

Source;

These are the limits for used Vehicles;
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 12.39.13 PM.jpg

Source;

Sold my 2012 LEAF a few weeks ago on Ebay for $5000. Buyer got a $1500 tax credit so his cost was only $3500. Would have gave him the instant rebate if I could, but the IRS site that lets you sign up for it is "Unavailable" for the last 2 weeks I've tried to register. There is absolutely no phone support and using email is like communicating with the Voyager spacecraft. It takes a week to get any reply and is barely understandable.

There are 2023s on the lot at the dealers around us that aren't as high level as the one you started the thread with, e.g., ID.4 pro with the bigger battery, but missing a few things like a power liftgate, vs the $57K one you posted above. On a $46K '23 ID.4 Pro that has a dealer discount of more than $3K, the SK battery and so with the tax credit, the $5000 VW incentive if you use VW financing, you can get the price down to the high $20s. We are considering it.

What does it say about WV being 2nd most dependent on the Federal Government? I don't see riots there refusing money.

You’re talking to the guy who changes insurance companies like changing undies to save a buck or two. It says he wants to keep his money in his pocket. 🤑

Would you buy an EV and turn down the .gov rebate?

You’re talking to the guy who changes insurance companies like changing undies to save a buck or two. It says he wants to keep his money in his pocket. 🤑

Would you buy an EV and turn down the .gov rebate?
No. But it’s not a requirement for me to purchase something.

WOW! My wife and I looked at a 2022 ID4 Pro with less than 7,000 miles on it. It was the managers car from a VW dealer. Prestine Showroom Condition. Not on mark on the car.
Very nice, sharp looking car with some nice touches like a brown leather like material on top of the black dashboard and also the same look on some of the door trim. Awesome expensive looking lace wheels. AS I type this, I cant believe I didnt take a photo *LOL
Wife liked it a lot but my petite wife thought is was a bit larger than she imagined yet at the same time she would have took it *LOL*

With that said, when we were speaking to the salesperson, I put him on alert to not try to sell us anything and he didnt. I told him the problem was it was a BRUTAL long ride to what I thought would be a tolerable ride to our closest VW dealer. IT wasnt, it took us 50 minutes to get there. No way even if the next condition was met would I buy a vehicle if I had to go that distance each way for a service.

That next problem was we intentionally looked for a 2022 so it would qualify for the gift of $4000 from my fellow taxpayers. Duh ... I forgot to get that $4000 the car has to be priced at 25k or less. The ID4 was 30K

Ok, so with that said, the dealer has a brand new 2023 on the lot. Every option in the book which brings the cost up to 57k
VW itself is offering massive discounts to get the new 2023s off the lots and this particular 57k has massive VW and dealer discounts PLUS of course qualifies for the additional handout of $7,500 from my fellow taxpayers. Sweet deal if that is something you are looking for.

We are not, this car IF and only IF we buy an EV is a second rarely used car. Just something to refresh the mint condition 2012 Mazda with 95k miles on it. Im not spending more than 25k minus 4k tax credit or simply keep looking for a Chevy Bolt, we have a few close by Chevy dealers or a Trax or Trailblazer type ICE vehicle. Soon I will put this whole idea on the back burner for another year and enjoy the summer. ;)

Best part about buying a car is when you dont need one and no rush.

Check out this deal, EV sales are hurting I think. Call me crazy but the ID4 to us is beautiful
This is brand new, left over 2023
View attachment 219601

This is the car (below) that we were interested in. VERY nice. Thing is, look at the car above! and the one below, no tax credit... so no deal also for the other reasons mentioned in my post. Unless they call me and let this one go for 25k
View attachment 219602
Oh goodie, I get to pay for your car.

In another thread I posted that VW would have to discount these things heavily to move the '23s.
This is now happening but I suspect there's more to come.

Last edited:
Back