Changing the PCV valve in 4-cyl Camry

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'll be replacing the PCV valve in my 2011 Camry 4-cyl. There are no obvious indications that the present valve is blocked or substantially restricted, however, the car is 11 years old and wasn't very well maintained when I bought it, so why not ...

I'm wondering if, when replacing the valve, if there's any restriction in the current valve, will the new, unrestricted valve, offer any performance benefits, i.e., better mileage, better acceleration, smoother running?

Thanks!

I usually clean mine with brake cleaner but I've replaced a few too. Nothing immediately noticeable other than reduced oil consumption if it were the cause of it. But it could lead to a smoother running engine down the line as there would be less deposits in the intake and pistons from less oil getting in.

None. I see no reason to replace them if they are working properly.
I agree with your assessment, but how do I know the valve is working at peak efficiency. after 11 years might it not be partially clogged yet still show no obvious signs of degraded performance?

I've never dealt with a PCV valve before, so to a great extent, I'm ignorant about what to expect.

I agree with your assessment, but how do I know the valve is working at peak efficiency. after 11 years might it not be partially clogged yet still show no obvious signs of degraded performance?

I've never dealt with a PCV valve before, so to a great extent, I'm ignorant about what to expect.
For that style of pcv valve, removing it for inspection is the only way to verify it’s condition.

Here’s some good info on how crankcase vent systems have evolved, btw:

For that style of pcv valve, removing it for inspection is the only way to verify it’s condition.

Here’s some good info
on how crankcase vent systems have evolved, btw:

Thanks for the link. I definitely learned a couple of things ...one is that I used to see dark lines in the center of highway lanes and didn't know what caused them. Now I do. 🚗 (y)

Last edited:
Some PCV valves connect to a rubber grommet that is in the valve cover.
Think the older 1MZ-FE from the early 2000's.
I believe
your model has a threaded connection so there is no grommet to be replaced.
Oh, I see. You're correct. The valve in the 2AR-FE is threaded.

What is a PCV grommet?
Older 4 cylinder Camry's had them. That's why I assumed that your newer Camry did.
81f08TaNhSL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Shel,

Research the procedure before jumping into this job. The PCV change on a 2009-up Toyota 1.8 requires removing the intake manifold. Make sure your engine doesn't have a similar design.

Shel,

Research the procedure before jumping into this job. The PCV change on a 2009-up Toyota 1.8 requires removing the intake manifold. Make sure your engine doesn't have a similar design.
That's not the case for the 2AR-FE engine. Thanks for the cautionary warning.

If you take the PCV valve out. It should rattle when you shake it

If you take the PCV valve out. It should rattle when you shake it
It's my understanding that's no guarantee that the valve is working properly. There are, it seems other tests that are helpful to determine the condition of the valve. Since any test that I've come across requires removal of the valve, and it's something of a big deal to remove the valve from the Camry engine, it seems to make sense to replace it and at least check, if not replace, the hoses as well.

Is this a reasonable assessment?

Last edited:
Back