2012 Honda Accord 4 cyl. valve train rattle

It really depends. Is this noise a constant clicking or ticking… then I’d say valves. I’ve seen K24s have no valve adjustment and go be at 200k finally getting one just cause the 4th owner of the car saw it in the owners manual — while making little if any noise.

If it does this grind at startup only then goes away, like the aforementioned video. It is definitely the VTC actuator. K24Z2 and K24Z3 this is super common on.
I agree my 07 with a K24 had 386000 on it and never had a valve adjustment and was not making noise. But I say it is work at least a check under the valve cover...As far as the VTC mine was never changed. I did have to change the pressure sensor on it once...If the VTC is bad it is not hard to change on that engine.. I have seen some that the issue was over time the lack of oil changes as it would build up crud on the screen inside the VTC,, That 2.4 was a great engine...I wish my 21 HRV had that engine.. I have the 1.8 which is a good engine but the 2.4 and much better pickup and still got around 35 mpg on the highway

It really depends. Is this noise a constant clicking or ticking… then I’d say valves. I’ve seen K24s have no valve adjustment and go be at 200k finally getting one just cause the 4th owner of the car saw it in the owners manual — while making little if any noise.

If it does this grind at startup only then goes away, like the aforementioned video. It is definitely the VTC actuator. K24Z2 and K24Z3 this is super common on.
It rattles for maybe a second at the most two seconds on start then no noise, mechanic said no to value adjustment now. Wondering if Liqui Moly Hydraulic lifter additive will do it good?

Honda said, no need to adjust values unless they are noisy, mine aren't noisy.

Which isn't quite right. Tight valves don't make noise, loose ones do.

Loose valves don't burn, tight ones do.

I don't know why Honda insists on that wording but I suggest everyone at least check their valve lashes every 100k. If they're loose and you don't want to adjust them, that's fine, but a tight exhaust valve will ruin your day over time.

Reactions: hrv
Going to give Liqui Moly Hydraulic Additive a shot, next oil change going with a slightly thicker oil, maybe 5W20 or 5W30 Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 filter.

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
I watched the ChrisFix video earlier today with the VTC Actuator start up rattle and replacement. Good luck with the additives and thicker oil. If yours sound like the video, only thing will get rid of it will be replacing that part OR delaying and replacing and more parts for more money.

Going to give Liqui Moly Hydraulic Additive a shot, next oil change going with a slightly thicker oil, maybe 5W20 or 5W30 Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 filter.
Honda engine does not have hydraulic lifters....that is why they need periodic valve adjustments...

It rattles for maybe a second at the most two seconds on start then no noise, mechanic said no to value adjustment now. Wondering if Liqui Moly Hydraulic lifter additive will do it good?
Dont waist your money...Honda engine does not use Hydraulic lifters...That is why they need periodic valve adjustments.

dont waist your money on the Liqui Moly....This engine does not have Hydraulic lifters....It has NO lifters...that is why you adjust the valves..

Back