2012 Honda Accord 4 cyl. valve train rattle

I have a 2012 Honda Accord 4 cyl. that just started making a rattle when cranked after sitting for few days, mechanic said it's a Valve Train Rattle. Was told it's from not having lubrications after sitting so long and nothing major to worry about. Was wondering if there are any additives to the oil I can use to help prevent this ratting?

I get a brief rattle if I change oil on ramps with my 2017 Honda Accord Sport 2.4L. I use M1 0w30 with a substitute quart of Redline 5w30 because of the high ester and hths. Hard to say, maybe time for a valve adjustment?

If it rattles for a few seconds, then goes away on a cold start, it is the VTC actuator. Very common on K24s.

I put three of them in my 2009 Accord... and a chain and guides around 150k. Chain was streteched. Then again, I beat the life out of that car, so it was expected.

If it rattles for a few seconds, then goes away on a cold start, it is the VTC actuator. Very common on K24s.

I put three of them in my 2009 Accord... and a chain and guides around 150k. Chain was streteched. Then again, I beat the life out of that car, so it was expected.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have that done? My car just started the 'tapping' noise.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have that done? My car just started the 'tapping' noise.
I did it myself so I can't gauge what a dealer or shop might charge. When I bought actuators they were around $165.

Probably if you're in there, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a chain, tensioner and guides along with the actuator. I could see that being north of $1000, maybe even under $2k. I'd get some quotes.

If you're not in the rust belt, or the car is clean and in good shape, go for it. These are good cars for sure.

I'm reading that this is no emergency (one guy said he's been having this problem for years), going to put Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive into my new oil (having oil changed), praying that this works for it.

I have a 2012 Honda Accord 4 cyl. that just started making a rattle when cranked after sitting for few days, mechanic said it's a Valve Train Rattle. Was told it's from not having lubrications after sitting so long and nothing major to worry about. Was wondering if there are any additives to the oil I can use to help prevent this ratting?
My CR-V had more rattle with Mobil 1 than other oils. Try a different 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, or 5w40 oil.

or adjusting the valves....Esp if you dont know the last time they have been done...
It really depends. Is this noise a constant clicking or ticking… then I’d say valves. I’ve seen K24s have no valve adjustment and go be at 200k finally getting one just cause the 4th owner of the car saw it in the owners manual — while making little if any noise.

If it does this grind at startup only then goes away, like the aforementioned video. It is definitely the VTC actuator. K24Z2 and K24Z3 this is super common on.

FWIW, I ran about ever oil imaginable in mine in hopes to solve a VTC rattle. Nothing changed much, maybe it was quietest on 5W-40?

0W-20 Amsoil SS, Mobil 1, TGMO, NAPA Syn., Honda HGMO
5W-20 Quaker State, NAPA Conv., PYB, Valvoline NextGen, Motorcraft Syn. Blend, Mobil Super
5W-30 Mobil 1, Valvoline Conv., Castrol Edge
5W-40 Rotella T6
15W-40 Rotella T4, ProLine Conv.

Back