Changing oil tomorrow help me choose......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ccapital83
I talked to nissan and they highly advise against it....

...primarily because they prefer to upsell to synthetic. Premature oil pump failures from using a 5w-30 instead of a 0w-20? Now I've heard everything.

Originally Posted By: Garak

...primarily because they prefer to upsell to synthetic. Premature oil pump failures from using a 5w-30 instead of a 0w-20? Now I've heard everything.

Maybe there's not enough room in the oil pump for 5W-30.
confused2.gif
21.gif

I talked to nissan and they highly advise against it this has also been covered in a forum on a nissan post the oil pump is smaller than previous years and is why they switched to recommending 0w-20 that came directly from nissan the company of the car no offense I'm sticking to what they say they make the vehicle I was just looking for brand preference as posted not weights.

Quote:
http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/archives/9-19-13.html
Newer engines may need seven quarts, ten quarts or whatever volume is needed to keep the engine, turbocharger and other systems lubricated, pressurized and cool. An oil pump designed to pump seven quarts of relatively light weight synthetic oil is probably not going to be happy trying to move seven quarts of old 30 weight racing oil. Some oil passages or the oil filter might be left dry.

Sounds like the Rockauto Guy has insights into the newest fuel efficient cars. As with the Ford Modular motors, the 10W30 rule of thumb is not applicable to your new Nissan (neither, I'm afraid, the 5W30 grade). Now I anticipate there will yet come additional exceptions to the rule of thumb, in the not too distant future.

I recommend examining the entire context of the above Rockauto article.

Yours is evidently a motor meant to run full synthetic from the start,
so my first recommendation to you is TGMO/Mazda 0W20, my second recommendation is PP/QSUD 0W20, my third recommendation is SynPower 0W20, my fourth recommendation is Honda Syn Blend 0W20.

None of the above four carry Mg detergents, only Ca detergents.
But M1 0W20 AFE does carry Mg detergents.

No extra oil additive, at least while the motor is being broken in.

No PU 5W20. No PP 5W30.
Too risky, given all the various information thus far presented in this thread.
(Maybe PP/QSUD 5W20?)

My opinion only.

Originally Posted By: Garak

And that's saying something considering this is bitog and we get whoppers frequently.

Originally Posted By: tswm
I talked to nissan and they highly advise against it this has also been covered in a forum on a nissan post the oil pump is smaller than previous years and is why they switched to recommending 0w-20 that came directly from nissan the company of the car no offense I'm sticking to what they say they make the vehicle I was just looking for brand preference as posted not weights.

Quote:
Newer engines may need seven quarts, ten quarts or whatever volume is needed to keep the engine, turbocharger and other systems lubricated, pressurized and cool. An oil pump designed to pump seven quarts of relatively light weight synthetic oil is probably not going to be happy trying to move seven quarts of old 30 weight racing oil. Some oil passages or the oil filter might be left dry.

Sounds like the Rockauto Guy has insights into the newest fuel efficient cars. As with the Ford Modular motors, the 10W30 rule of thumb is not applicable to your new Nissan (neither, I'm afraid, the 5W30 grade). Now I anticipate there will yet come additional exceptions to the rule of thumb, in the not too distant future.

so my first recommendation to you is TGMO/Mazda 0W20, my second recommendation is PP/QSUD 0W20, my third recommendation is SynPower 0W20, my fourth recommendation is Honda Syn Blend 0W20.

No PU 5W20. No PP 5W30.
(Maybe PP/QSUD 5W20?)

My opinion only.

So use any syn except PU or pp.
You've gotta be kidding. What exactly makes them so special they aren't fit for use for this engine breaking in.
I'm serious. Please if you could help me understand why these 2 oils aren't suitable.

If going up a grade could cause problems with the oil pump, does Nissan also highly advise against starting the engine on cold winter mornings?
I'd use whatever Nissan recommends and I doubt that they'd list 5W-30 and 10W-30 in the OM as meeting all requirements if they'd cause any harm.
I'd personally use a 0W-20, and as has been noted, there are many available.
You can register your new car on both the Pennzoil and Quaker State engine warranty sites to get MIRs of twenty dollars on both PP and QSUD 0W-20, incidentally.
This would give you a couple of cheap 0W-20 oil changes.
You could also keep an eye on CL, since I often see TGMO 0W-20 there locally at attractive prices.
For now, buy whatever Walmart has cheapest among the 0W-20s, or if you want to be daring as the weather warms up, you might be able to find some clearance Ultra 5W-20 for $21.00/jug.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Shrunk the oil pump? So all the Altima's sold up north or in Australia are going to blow up? LOL

Here is the info right from the 2014 Altima manual:
"As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W-30 conventional petroleum oils may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

10W30 can also be used.

I went and downloaded the 2014 Nissan Altima owners manual and I'm afraid he's right.

They're saying 0W-20 for the QR25DE 4-cyl engine and 5W-30 for the VQ35DE V6 engine.

Thanks for having my back though.
55.gif

Actually, if you look at sub points 7 and 9 in the manual it lists both 5W30 and 10W30, respectively. Sorry about not separating the info as I'm running out the door to beat on my Jeep. I high lighted it though. Take care!

Page 399:

The following are approximate capacities. The actual refill capacities may be slightly different. When refilling, follow the procedure described in the “Maintenance and do-it-yourself” section to determine the proper refill capacity.

Capacity (Approximate) Recommended Fluids and Lubricants US measure Imp measure Liter Fuel 18 gal 15 gal 68.0 See “Fuel recommendation” later in this section. Engine oil *6 Drain and Refill With oil filter change QR25DE 4-7/8 qt 4 qt 4.6 For QR25DE engine models: • Genuine NISSAN engine oil or equivalent *7 •

Engine oil with API Certification Mark *1 • Viscosity SAE 0W-20 *9 For VQ35DE engine models: • Genuine NISSAN engine oil or equivalent *7 • Engine oil with API Certification Mark *1, • Viscosity SAE 5W-30 VQ35DE 5-1/8 qt 4-1/4 qt 4.8 Without oil filter change QR25DE 4-1/2 qt 3-3/4 qt 4.3 VQ35DE 4-3/4 qt 4 qt 4.5 Cooling system With reservoir QR25DE 2-1/8 gal 1-3/4 gal 7.9 Pre-diluted Genuine NISSAN Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (blue) or equivalentVQ35DE 2-3/8 gal 2 gal 9.2 Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) fluid — — — Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-3 *2 Power steering fluid (PSF) Refill to the proper level according to the instructions in the “Maintenance and do-it-yourself” section.*8 Genuine NISSAN E-PSF or equivalent.*3 Brake fluid Genuine NISSAN Super Heavy Duty Brake Fluid *4 or equivalent DOT 3 Multi-purpose grease — — — NLGI No. 2 (Lithium Soap base) Air conditioning system refrigerant — — — HFC-134a (R-134a) *5 Air conditioning system oil — — — Genuine NISSAN A/C System Oil Type S or equivalent *5 Windshield-washer fluid 1-1/4 gal 1 gal 4.5 Genuine NISSAN Windshield Washer Concentrate Cleaner & Antifreeze fluid or equivalent *1: For further details, see “Engine oil and oil filter recommendations” in this section. *2: Use only Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-3. Using transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-3 will damage the CVT, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty. *3: Use of a power steering fluid other than Genuine NISSAN E-PSF will prevent the power steering system from operating properly. *4: Available in mainland USA through a NISSAN dealer. *5: For further details, see “Air conditioner system refrigerant and oil recommendations” in this section. *6: For further details, see “Engine oil” in the “Maintenance and do-it-yourself” section of this manual. *7: NISSAN recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Oil available at a NISSAN dealer. As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30 conventional petroleum oils may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. *8: See your NISSAN dealer for service. *9: As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W-30 conventional petroleum oils may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

We'll I have seen documentation and if they say 5w isn't recommended I'm not using it my manual says 0w-20 u can call nissan if you want to call my bluff. Probably all going to do the same huh? Maybe I'll try Carstrol then go from there... Appreciate all your inputs

We'll I have seen documentation and if they say 5w isn't recommended I'm not using it my manual says 0w-20 u can call nissan if you want to call my bluff. Probably all going to do the same huh? Maybe I'll try Carstrol then go from there... Appreciate all your inputs

These days any synthetic is going to do the job more than adequately. I faced the same choice when I bought my FX4 and chose Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20. At 75K, I switched to Mobil Super 5000 5W-20, then at 105K, I switched to M1 AFE 0W-20. I have 127K on my FX4, it runs like a dream, and I have finally settled on M1 as the oil of choice due to the stellar UOA it created and how smooth the engine runs on it.

Bottom line--spend LESS time worrying about your oil choice (any of them will see your engine past the time you want to keep the car) and spend MORE time enjoying that new car. There will be ZERO difference in the engine life from your oil choice as long as it meets the specifications.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Quote:

No PU 5W20. No PP 5W30.
(Maybe PP/QSUD 5W20?)

My opinion only.

So use any syn except PU or pp.
You've gotta be kidding. What exactly makes them so special they aren't fit for use for this engine breaking in.
I'm serious. Please if you could help me understand why these 2 oils aren't suitable.

I meant that PP/QSUD 5W20 are probably OK to run in OP's new car, but that if I were him, I would not take any chance and just exclusively run TGMO 0W20 for a while (when in doubt, run TGMO 0W20; anyway, Caterham recommends it, so what's not to like?). As for PU 5W20, it may be that I'm splitting hairs, but personally speaking only, IMO I perceive PU 5W20 as a thick 5W20. You running PU 5W20 with LM MoS2 year round, that was wise decision IMO because you go WOT often; PU is not likely to break down even under those conditions, but if PU 5W20 does, MoS2 got your back.

The wording on the PP 0W20 bottle implies that it is a lower SAPS oil than the PP 5W20 and 5W30 oils, so that's good on a new motor: run an acceptable oil with lower TBN when the motor is new, go on shorter 5K OCIs to help break it in, drain out the wear metals, and when/if refilling with PP 0W20, there is less of initial wear because PP 0W20 is comparatively speaking a synthetic with lower starting TBN. And of course, any PU (except the high HTHSV PU Euro Car Formulation) is definitely higher SAPS than PP 0W20.

Now that I think about it, OP could run either TGMO or PP 0W20 for a while maybe the first 30K to 40K, then use a small to moderate amount of LM MoS2 (not the whole can for an oil change) for extreme cold weather operation and for WOT driving. An alternative for the sake of WOT high load driving, is to switch to Kendall GT-1 0W20, but if OP does, he must not utilize LM MoS2 even if inclined to do so, because of additive clash between the MoS2 additive and the titanium additive.

The Rockauto Guy says so, therefore let OP utilize the 0W20 grade of his choosing.

Maybe OP could utilize PP 5W30 15 years later as high mileage oil.
cool.gif

Quote:

Sounds like the Rockauto Guy has insights into the newest fuel efficient cars.

The Rockauto guy has rocks in his head, and probably only has insight into the deepest recesses of a Tequila bottle.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Sounds like the Rockauto Guy has insights into the newest fuel efficient cars.

The Rockauto guy has rocks in his head, and probably only has insight into the deepest recesses of a Tequila bottle.

13.gif

Maybe there's not enough room in the oil pump for 5W-30.
confused2.gif
21.gif

And, as fdcg27 indicates, Nissan must want to prohibit cold starts while they're at it, too.

As for the manual mention of 10w-30, there you go. That shows how much is just left over from editing in years before. I'm sure the engineers themselves couldn't care less if it was a proper, API/IILSAC 0w-20 or 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Bottom line--There will be ZERO difference in the engine life from your oil choice as long as it meets the specifications.

A+

Bottom line--spend LESS time worrying about your oil choice (any of them will see your engine past the time you want to keep the car) and spend MORE time enjoying that new car. There will be ZERO difference in the engine life from your oil choice as long as it meets the specifications.

If everybody was to think like that, we wouldn't have much to talk about on this forum now would we ?
grin2.gif

If everybody was to think like that, we wouldn't have much to talk about on this forum now would we ?
grin2.gif

Merk - totally agree. I have stopped the hand wringing over which oil is best...blah, blah, blah. I have made a choice and have a stash of it. However, I know it would not matter which I chose, the result would be the same, so now I have one less thing to expend grey matter on...
cheers3.gif

This is what kills me about these threads where a member asks whether the use of a thicker grade will cause any harm.
How thin is the Idemitsu HGMO 0W-20 I've got in the '12 Accord on a below zero Farenheit morning?
It can't be a whole lot thinner than a 20W-50 on a balmy summer morning.
So many people don't seem to understand the relationship between viscosity and ambient temperature at cold start.

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
If buying from WalMart, I would go with M1 AFE 0w-20 and Fram Ultra filter.

Go entire length of the Oil Life Monitor, or max OCI the manual allows.

+1.....this is a great combo that you won't go wrong with.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is what kills me about these threads where a member asks whether the use of a thicker grade will cause any harm.
How thin is the Idemitsu HGMO 0W-20 I've got in the '12 Accord on a below zero Farenheit morning?
It can't be a whole lot thinner than a 20W-50 on a balmy summer morning.

Exactly. We fuss too much, and I'm guilty of that, too. But, as you mention, people really need to pay attention to the variation of viscosity with temperature at cold starts. Look at even the best 0w-20 or 0w-30 at -40 C and then as the oil warms up to over 100 C. For that period of time, it's experiencing oil that is much, much thicker than "operating temperature" 20w-50, or even room temperature 20w-50 or SAE 40.

When lubrication engineers pull the impossible and find a lubricant that maintains its viscosity all the way from the world's lowest ambient temperatures to the highest temperatures experienced in the engine, then we can really obsess about using the exact, perfect viscosity.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back