Change the oil filter every other oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Anyone following this kind of pattern? Say, oil every 5k miles and filter every 10k miles?
I would never ever do that. 3K O/F intervals for me.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Confuscious say: Wise man change oil and filter at same time.

Confuscious say: People say Confuscious say a lot of things Confuscious never say.

wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif
I hope you don't mind if I use that in the future!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: telecat
Anyone following this kind of pattern? Say, oil every 5k miles and filter every 10k miles?

Must be a really mucked up motor and/or cheap filter you're using
57.gif

40.gif
?????

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

57.gif

Using super Tech 5W30, P-Classic. I'm old school, don't believe in extended O/F intervals. Engine is NOT mucked up because I change the oil frequently. If long intervals float your boat, more power to you. I do not believe in extended O/F intervals. No skin off your back. Why the insult?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Confuscious say: Wise man change oil and filter at same time.

Confuscious say: People say Confuscious say a lot of things Confuscious never say.

wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif
I hope you don't mind if I use that in the future!

Yeah that was a good one!

57.gif

Using super Tech 5W30, P-Classic. I'm old school, don't believe in extended O/F intervals. Engine is NOT mucked up because I change the oil frequently. If long intervals float your boat, more power to you. I do not believe in extended O/F intervals. No skin off your back. Why the insult?

I didn't mean any offense. I took into consideration your low post count, lack of signature, and very general post and figured it was a joke to get a rise out of people.

A reason to have a good discussion and even an argument on the subject, is because many people come here and will trust what they read. If the majority of the members posting indicate that 3k intervals are still the norm, like they were 20 years ago, then casual web-surfers may follow suit.

The reality is, oil and filter change intervals is heavily dependent on the car, type of driving and mechanical condition of the engine. Even still, 3k miles intervals is extremely short, and usually reserved for a very specific type of conditions/drivers. In other words, an extreme short-tripper, some one with a mucked up engine, or some one who races their car or drives in conditions that stress the engine and engine oil to extremes, or have known problem engines (DI/sludgers, etc.) are the types who would warrant short intervals. The only other type is probably like you, and either likes to change their oil, because it makes them feel good to do it as a hobby or pass-time. There are others still who cling to old wives tales about Pennzoil wax and change an oil that might last 10k miles at 3k miles, because they think it's absolutely required, regardless of what they read here on BITOG.

I apologize again if I offended you.

Microgreen Filter, Change the Filter every 10K, top up a quart of oil when you do the change. Change the oil every 20, or 30K. Microgreen says 30, I don't plan on it.

I didn't mean any offense. I took into consideration your low post count, lack of signature, and very general post and figured it was a joke to get a rise out of people.

Say WHAT?

Quote:
A reason to have a good discussion and even an argument on the subject, is because many people come here and will trust what they read. If the majority of the members posting indicate that 3k intervals are still the norm, like they were 20 years ago, then casual web-surfers may follow suit.

I have owned a number of cars, from a '62 bug to the '98 Isuzu Hombre I own now, AND a Cessna 172 upon which I performed (supervised) a major overhaul. I did oil and filter changes on all of them (my '73 VW thing had an oil filter adapter for a full-flow filter). On the Cessna, I changed oil every 50 hours with a filter, and every 25 hours without. On the '62 bug, I changed oil every 1500 miles (no filter, just a rock-catching screen). My wife owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. I have done the maintenance on all these vehicles and I find a conservative OC/FC interval serves the vehicles well.

All the vehicles got 3K OC/OF intervals except the ford which specifies 10K OC/FC intervals but gets them every 7.5K because I don't trust Ford. I do NOT take the word of the OEMs because I know marketing figures into any such recommendation, designed to sell parts and/or cars. How people can be hoodwinked into extending OCI past manufacturer's recommendations will be a mystery I take to my grave. I'll never understand.

Quote:
The reality is, oil and filter change intervals is heavily dependent on the car, type of driving and mechanical condition of the engine. Even still, 3k miles intervals is extremely short, and usually reserved for a very specific type of conditions/drivers. In other words, an extreme short-tripper, some one with a mucked up engine, or some one who races their car or drives in conditions that stress the engine and engine oil to extremes, or have known problem engines (DI/sludgers, etc.) are the types who would warrant short intervals. The only other type is probably like you, and either likes to change their oil, because it makes them feel good to do it as a hobby or pass-time. There are others still who cling to old wives tales about Pennzoil wax and change an oil that might last 10k miles at 3k miles, because they think it's absolutely required, regardless of what they read here on BITOG.

Disagree. So many assumptions in your statement I barely know where to begin. Regardless of driving conditions, on my truck, I utilize a 3k OC/OF interval, period. If I drove through a sandstorm, I'd change it as soon as I was in the clear but other than that, 3k. No exceptions. Not a hobby, a POLICY. My driving is a mix of short interval, city-street and freeway miles. Doing oil changes at that interval is not a hobby or a pastime, and it's insulting to suggest that, too. As for "old wives tales," it's insulting to use those in reference to those who are skeptical of ANY manufacturer's claims. Very simply, I do not believe the OEM recommendations. I don't believe filter makers' claims about extended intervals.

Finally, BITOG reminds me of guitar forums. I'm a semi-pro musician and I know how to get guitar tone I like. But on the guitar fora, there is the constant flavor of the week/month/etc and many of the users swim from pickups to pedals to maple/rosewood fretboards to spendy cables to digital modeling, like tiny prey fish in the shallows of the island of Tortola. They are all obsessed with getting the tone of their favorite guitar hero by buying gear. The truth is, what most of them need to do is play better. Gear won't help them sound better, playing better will. It's not about gear, it's about MUSIC.

Likewise, we've gone from hating Fram filters, with their cardboard end caps and minimal filter media, to hating Purolator filters which have had few media-tearing incidents. Oh dear, now Frams are the bees knees, even the OCOD.

Be it guitars or oil, I do not follow fashion nor fad. I follow a policy that ensures the inside of my engine will gleam, mirror-like, long after the folks doing 20K (or MORE!!!) OCIs will be buying new cars, rebuilding engines and so forth. Likewise, I change my guitar strings when they start sounding bad. Usually after two gigs or four practices. I BUILT the amps I use. I am not someone who takes the word of anyone when it comes to sound, I trust my ears. I trust my experience when it comes to vehicles and maintenance, not what some anonymous internet goober says.

Am I wrong to do that?

Last edited:
And it's possible that the filter filters better as it ages.

It's not only possible it's exactly what happens.

I've been running oil filters for 2 or 3 oil changes for many,many years now and every vehicle I own goes to the wrecker with a great running engine,so let's be serious here.
I'm not nickel and diming here,it's not about cost for me. It's about filtration and the oil filters trap smaller and smaller particulate as the filter loads,which means better filtration.
Considering my work vans have in excess of 400k on them,and my personal vehicles are quickly getting there I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
Now I'm not saying run the cheapest filter you can find 20000 miles here,but I am saying a mid and top tier filter is built to last that long so why not use it to the max.
Filtration efficiency increases as the filter loads. It's just that simple.

I liked your prose about the prey fish darting about in Tortola. I can picture it.

But I am surprised that your still doing 3k OCIs. I note that you're in California. I believe it was that state that called out JiffyLube for their 3k OCI jingles being so bogus.

My truck takes 6 quarts of oil. So not changing the filter every OCI is less concerning, considering the relatively small amount that remains in the filter. My old Corolla took 3.5 quarts. I would be less inclined to skil a filter change in that case.

But I am definitely in the camp that the longer the filter is on, the better it filters (to a certain point, of course). It took me a while to get there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob

I liked your prose about the prey fish darting about in Tortola. I can picture it.

But I am surprised that your still doing 3k OCIs. I note that you're in California. I believe it was that state that called out JiffyLube for their 3k OCI jingles being so bogus.
My policy about 3k oil changes predates Ca calling out Jiffylube by at least 20 years.

I do it because it's what I learned and frankly, I have seen nothing to suggest the underlying metallurgy in engines has changed in any substantial way. Valve trains have changed because of unleaded fuel and the incredibly deleterious effects of ethanol in fuel (which would logically suggest a shorter OFI than a longer one. But bearings, cranks, cams, pistons, wrist pins, bearings and such have not changed and these are the primary things oil cares for. If the metal hasn't changed, the engines are running hotter (leaner mixtures) on the top end, the extended interval recommendations make no sense to me. You have to think about what you're talking about and not just parrot OEMs or gooberized marketing-speak.

Now, if extending your OFI/OCI makes you feel good as you drive your carbonized black mud in your engine, by all means, rock out. Just don't ask me to call it good. I won't.

BTW: Your does not equal you're. C'mon...

Last edited:
Oils have changed dramatically over the last 30 years, and engines have too as they are much more efficient at keeping the combustion process cleaner, and manufactured with more efficient ring sealing, etc which means there is much less contamination blow-by the rings into the oil. Only time an engine might need a 3K oil change these days is if the engine is really worn and/or it is used in a very severe type of environment or driving conditions.

Actually, I'd say engines are putting greater and greater requirements on oil due to increased heat for greater efficiency and wanting thinner oil for greater efficiency.

So engines and oils improve together and the vehicle and oil companies work together. Modern oils are superb, mainly because the requirements of modern engines.

Therefore, if you put a modern oil in an older car, you will for sure obliterate the need for 3000 mile oil changes as well as the manufacturer oci at the time the car was made.

Whereas using lower quality oils even if they are modern, in certain modern engines, would in some cases require more frequent ocis than manufacturer's currently specify.

Eg 0w20 in a Toyota allows double the oci of modern conventional oil. Eg dexos is a modern oil vastly improved over just API standard but you can't put it into most German cars that require full synthetics.

I didn't read the majority of your last two posts, they were so ridiculous...

How in the heck is ANY interval a policy for....forever? That's like saying, "punch cards worked for me 30 years ago, and besides, who knows if these new Intel Haswell processors are even any better, am I right!?"

Originally Posted By: Clevy
And it's possible that the filter filters better as it ages.

It's not only possible it's exactly what happens.

I've been running oil filters for 2 or 3 oil changes for many,many years now and every vehicle I own goes to the wrecker with a great running engine,so let's be serious here.
I'm not nickel and diming here,it's not about cost for me. It's about filtration and the oil filters trap smaller and smaller particulate as the filter loads,which means better filtration.
Considering my work vans have in excess of 400k on them,and my personal vehicles are quickly getting there I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
Now I'm not saying run the cheapest filter you can find 20000 miles here,but I am saying a mid and top tier filter is built to last that long so why not use it to the max.
Filtration efficiency increases as the filter loads. It's just that simple.

Amen brother CLEVY.....preach it.

My last OCI was at 9200 miles using M-1 0w20 AFE.....and I will do the next OCI when my OD reaches about 1800 miles....using the same Fram ULTRA filter.

I'm a big believer that the efficiency of mid and top-tier filters INCREASES.....as the filter loads.

Thanks Clevy....for stating it so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back