Change the oil filter every other oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The Amsoil EaO11 on the CVLX is on its third go round. The first two changes were 6500mi and this one might be slightly longer; around 7500. That would put it over 20k. That should happen in the next month or two, after which I will cut it open for everyone perusal.

nice!!! my next oil changes will all be 10k on oil & 20k on filter.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Anyone following this kind of pattern? Say, oil every 5k miles and filter every 10k miles?

Nope, fresh oil, fresh filter. I'm not leaving half a qt. or more dirty oil to mix with fresh clean oil as soon as I turn the key. There's already enough of it in there that won't come out. I'm not risking removing the old filter, draining it, and having the possibility of it leaking after I screw it back on. I really don't care how much better a used filter might filter by leaving it on, nor do I care about saving a few $$.
27.gif
Opinions vary.

For the record nowhere in any of the owners manuals I have for vehicles I own does it suggest using an oil filter twice.

OEM filter on the Subie is changed every interval

Fram Ultra on the Civic is changed every other interval, so 2X 6-8k miles = 12-16k miles. Based on the wholly unscientific data produced from cutting a few filters open I could probably tack on another interval and be fine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Anyone following this kind of pattern? Say, oil every 5k miles and filter every 10k miles?

Nope, fresh oil, fresh filter. I'm not leaving half a qt. or more dirty oil to mix with fresh clean oil as soon as I turn the key. There's already enough of it in there that won't come out. I'm not risking removing the old filter, draining it, and having the possibility of it leaking after I screw it back on. I really don't care how much better a used filter might filter by leaving it on, nor do I care about saving a few $$.
27.gif
Opinions vary.

For the record nowhere in any of the owners manuals I have for vehicles I own does it suggest using an oil filter twice.

Makes the most sense I've read in this thread

27.gif
Opinions vary.

I feel the exact same way. What is the logic to want to swap it every 2nd oil change..to save money/effort? I dont buy into the logic that a dirty filter is more efficient, i rather put a non ultra filter (oem or fram tg) and do a complete change oil and filter more often. Everyone will have their own opinion.

Last edited:
Waiting for BOF.

35.gif

FWIW my filters get changed when the oil does; but I have never owned a Honda.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Waiting for BOF.

35.gif

FWIW my filters get changed when the oil does; but I have never owned a Honda.

It doesn't matter what manufacturer made the car, if you change the oil, you should change the filter.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I like Fram ultra while I normally go 7k miles on a change I'm nervous about putting 14k miles on a filter without knowing them very well which is funny since I feel 12k is safe. Never busted one open to look at them.

Wish granted - here is a Fram Ultra with 15K on it:

15K Fram Ultra XG2

Originally Posted By: jiffydarren

27.gif
Opinions vary.

For the life of me, why would anybody not change the filter at every oil change?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

27.gif
Opinions vary.

For the life of me, why would anybody not change the filter at every oil change?

Possibilities:

1. Too cheap.

2. Because the box said so.

3. Show off to your framboys er....friends on the internet.

OR...

4. All of the above

Quote:

Because there are some people out there who are SO cheap, they put conventional oil in turbocharged cars, disregard well founded guidelines set forth by the people who designed their car, and fiddle while their car's health burns just to save a buck.

Wow and here I thought I'd catch some flack.
wink.gif
I'm sure it's coming.....................

There's got to be more to it than that. My Honda's manual says it is acceptable, so I believe them.

There's also something to be said about not being wasteful. You could make the same argument that it would be stupid not to change your oil every 1,000 miles, just because you know it's better than doing it every 2,000 miles.

Changing the filter or oil sooner than needed is wasteful. I trust the owners manual to make a reasonable and likely conservative choice to change the filter every other OCI.

Quote:

Because there are some people out there who are SO cheap, they put conventional oil in turbocharged cars, disregard well founded guidelines set forth by the people who designed their car, and fiddle while their car's health burns just to save a buck.

I am cheap, but the people that designed my S2000 also say to change the oil filter every other oil change. And who am I to tell them they are wrong. So I go 7.5k miles on the oil and 15k on my oil filter, 110k miles and I don't have to add any oil to my S2000 on that 7500 mile run. Passes CA smog every two years with very low numbers.

It works for my S2000, just like the way the designers of the car said it would.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds

Quote:

I am cheap, but the people that designed my S2000 also say to change the oil filter every other oil change. And who am I to tell them they are wrong. So I go 7.5k miles on the oil and 15k on my oil filter, 110k miles and I don't have to add any oil to my S2000 on that 7500 mile run. Passes CA smog every two years with very low numbers.

It works for my S2000, just like the way the designers of the car said it would.

ROD

Just wondering if you're Ford or Jeep's owners manuals suggest the same thing as your S2000. My Jeep's manual makes no mention of leaving the oil filter on for more than one OCI, but it's a 2008.

In typical mixes of city and highway driving at 5K, changing your filter is only optional with me, if I use a non-silicone ADBV filter. If it's a quality filter, leave it alone for another 5K. Average vehicle nowadays carries 5-6 quarts of oil. That half-quart of dirty oil is nothing that will shorten your OCI oil life to under 5K.

I actually prefer leaving a half quart in. It's become so hard to read all these thin, plastic dipsticks today having clear, new oil in the crankcase. At 1K of my interval, I prefer my used oil to darken a wee-bit / just a tad, to read the dipstick easier.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: tig1

27.gif
Opinions vary.

Possibilities:

1. Too cheap.

2. Because the box said so.

3. Show off to your framboys er....friends on the internet.

OR...

4. All of the above

I change my oil and filter at each gas fillup - can't be too cheap, now, right!? I also change my boxers after everytime too (or is that 'two'?), you know, can't be too cheap!
I make sure to replace my tires when they are 50% done, too - can't be too cheap. Shocks/struts - every 12 months - can't compromise on safety/handling due to cheapness, right?

I never save and eat leftovers, why would I be cheap?

laugh.gif

It's too bad there is no efficiency curve for oil filters as they age. Years ago we got a car in the shop that had all the oil changes over three years done by the customer. Problem was that the customer did not know the engine had an oil filter and so it was never changed. We confirmed it because BMC cars at the time had a distinctive filter from the factory. There was no sludge problem and the engine ran just fine. So we serviced the car and set the customer on his way. By the way, this was in the 70's when these cars use Castrol 10w-40 or 20w-50 changed every 3k miles.

I thought the logic behind NOT changing the filter was that the engine would not be subject to the couple of seconds of dry run.

Its the first few seconds of starting a car when the most wear takes place. I imagine its MUCH HARDER on the car the 3-4 seconds its takes to get a bone dry filter filled.

I could be wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back