Catalytic coverter stolen last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Rippy, don't move to Charlotte and you should be okay!

Ah, Charlotte, that's where a lot of it is happening. That makes sense. I'm not surprised at all. Wouldn't it be funny to booby trap a CC
stirthepot.gif
? Anyway, I'm shutting up now. I'm glad the insurance is paying for it though. That would have really, really sucked if you had been forced to pay out of your own pocket.

The police, I assume, have done an exhaustive search for the stolen item -- and the cat burglar too???

Dang, two puns for the price of one...

EDIT: Ooooops sorry, someone already did the "cat burglar" one.
blush.gif

Last edited:
An alarm with a shock sensor is a good thing to have, even if there's an occasional false alarm due to it.

Quote:

Easier than having an honest job I suppose.

But also extremely dangerous, considering someone like me might come along while the guy is under there!

There was a TV news report in the Chicago area about the cat thieves. A portable sawzall was the weapon of choice. These thieves are fast!
Check online for specs for a resistor pack to fool the second O2 sensor, or buy one. The straight pipe will not hurt mileage or power, but gain some - I don't know why your mechanic would say the opposite. Engines never like backpressure - less is ALWAYS better.

Hey, you're dealing with Slappah auto parts, playah. The good stuff. Some err ..hmmm.. .alternative market suppliers have distinctive tastes.

There were five stolen in my area in just the last week. This is the first time I have heard of this happening.

Apparantly the thieves were part of a covert operation, regarding the title of the post. I suggest tacking on some single edge razor blades after the install of the new cat. This will make looking for the thieves a little easier, 'cause you'll be looking for a guy with no finger tips. There should be a considerable amount of DNA left behind at the scene, making the case "air tight" so to speak, and give the Hollywood boys who write CSI shows another theme.

Quote:

He did not remove it. The thief did. If the federal government has a problem with that, he could cite tenth ammendment in court; the tenth amendment makes federal catalytic converter laws unconstitutional because only the states have the authority to pass such laws...

Holy cow, where did you go to law school?
crazy.gif

That's like saying you don't have to pay federal income tax because it's unconstitutional.

The thought of catching them in the act does make me smile. The mechanic told me his brother - who I believe owns a salvage yard - caught them in the act on his property one night. He used some mace on them. They dropped the saw and ran. He got a free SawsAll our of it.

I'm afraid this car's problems are growing though. Headed over the mechanical/maintenance forum to post further about why the Jeep was at the shop anyway. I am really getting tired of car repair right now...

Quote:

There were five stolen in my area in just the last week. This is the first time I have heard of this happening.

Kinda glad I got out of truck & SUV ownership. You'd need to be pretty skinny to shimmy under my Cobalt or Windstar.
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

Joel

Quote:

Quote:

He did not remove it. The thief did. If the federal government has a problem with that, he could cite tenth ammendment in court; the tenth amendment makes federal catalytic converter laws unconstitutional because only the states have the authority to pass such laws...

Holy cow, where did you go to law school?
crazy.gif

That's like saying you don't have to pay federal income tax because it's unconstitutional.

The federal government is meant only to regulate interstate trade and handle foreign affairs (e.g. the military). Everything else is to be handled by the states. The federalist system that we have here is somewhat analogous to the system that Europe is trying to institute, in which the European Union is similar to the United States and New York (or any other state) is similar to France (or any other state).

While the constitution has largely been ignored, almost all of the things that the federal government does is unconstitutional (e.g. the central bank, social security, the department of education, the department of agriculture, etcetera) and are things that only the states have the authority to do.

Yes, I agree with you concerning the thoughts behind your interpretation, but try using those ideas as a legal defense and see what happens to you. The courts have upheld the federal practices too many times to even bother.

True though you are to the federalist ideals, these days that kind of talk gets you labeled - we used to call those fellas "Patriotts" when I was growing up. It's unfortunate that a lot of good ideas and thinking are immediately dismissed as 'a bunch of anti-government kooks'.

But back OT, thieves in these parts have started into copper coils from air conditioners. They'll go right up to the house (in the sketchy part of town) and pull the window unit out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back