Insurance totaled car over catalytic converter theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the OP even in CA? This is just mind blowing to me - I had the cats changed on 2 of my vehicles and I don't recall this being more than a $500 repair for parts/labor.
In post #70, I wasn't sure if you were referring to CA, the OP's state or your state. But catalytic converter repairs are often well over $2500 in CA and will make an older vehicle a total loss.

First-hand experience with an ebay cat, they work well enough to keep the OBD happy.
Really depends on the application. But in general, they are a crapshoot.

That price is certainly doable with aftermarket cats. The OP isn't in California but his state does do emissions testing so he can't go cat-less.
Maybe for universal, but direct-fit ones are at least a few hundred dollars.

NOVA is a non-attainment area per the EPA so emissions tests are required. This has been the case since at least 1985.

The drive-by emissions tests are because some people have figured out how to cheat with the OBD-II tests.

And some people also cheat by registering their vehicle in other parts of the state even though it's not actually driven or kept there.
This is not how it works. You have to qualify to use the rapidpass test. This isn't something you get "caught" with. I suggest reading up on it below. It's a separate test some cars qualify for in place of the standard OBDII testing.

This is not how it works. You have to qualify to use the rapidpass test. This isn't something you get "caught" with. I suggest reading up on it below. It's a separate test some cars qualify for in place of the standard OBDII testing.

There is a provision in Virginia state law that allows DEQ to send someone a notice that their vehicle has failed a rapidpass test and to require them to take their vehicle to an emissions testing station for a dyno + OBDII test (as I stated previously).

And if you do some Google searching, you'll find reports from people who have gotten such a notice.

And here is the Virginia law:

EDIT: And I was told by an emissions inspector, when I asked him why they still had the dyno, that some vehicles are flagged in the system to get a dyno test. Presumably these get flagged by having failed a rapidpass test. (Otherwise, the only vehicles that would need a dyno test, because they aren't OBD-II, are ALL over 25 years old and aren't required to get emissions tests).

Last edited:
There is a provision in Virginia state law that allows DEQ to send someone a notice that their vehicle has failed a rapidpass test and to require them to take their vehicle to an emissions testing station for a dyno + OBDII test (as I stated previously).

And if you do some Google searching, you'll find reports from people who have gotten such a notice.

And here is the Virginia law:

EDIT: And I was told by an emissions inspector, when I asked him why they still had the dyno, that some vehicles are flagged in the system to get a dyno test. Presumably these get flagged by having failed a rapidpass test. (Otherwise, the only vehicles that would need a dyno test, because they aren't OBD-II, are ALL over 25 years old and aren't required to get emissions tests).
I see that but to me that is for egregious things like maybe "rolling coal" through one of the check stations, not a catted performance downpipe or aftermarket oe-type cat. I've lived here my whole life (I'm almost 50) with 5 years up in that area with emissions testing, never have heard of anyone having issues even with performance/tuned cars running performance downpipes.

Basically the way I understand the "rapid pass" to work, it's for clean cars to get an easier emissions test, not for cars that fail/catching dirty cars (not a redlight or speeding camera) unless as above, it's outrageous. If you can't pass the rapid one, you need to go get a standard test which should be obd11 for newer cars which does have work arounds for those that have monkeyed with their cats etc. but of course, no gaurantees as they are supposed to visually check your gear so if you are running an aftermarket cat it will need the correct EPA markings etc. If I were still living up there, I would have kept my factory downpipe/cats on the car for sure as not have drama.

Last edited:
I see that but to me that is for egregious things like maybe "rolling coal" through one of the check stations, not a catted performance downpipe or aftermarket oe-type cat. I've lived here my whole life (I'm almost 50) with 5 years up in that area with emissions testing, never have heard of anyone having issues even with performance/tuned cars running performance downpipes.

There is a code section listing the pass/fail limits for the roadside emissions testing:

(It's worth noting that they test for NOx, CO, and HCs, which are invisible--so you can fail one of these tests even if you aren't "rolling coal").

And, as I've stated previously, if your vehicle fails one of these, it will be subjected to ASM dyno testing, not just an OBD-II inspection. If for some reason it can't be given an ASM dyno test, then it will get a 2-speed idle test.

Them folks at DEQ are a little smarter than some give them credit for, and they are fully aware that a vehicle can be "tuned" to disable OBD-II monitors.

And the whole reason for roadside emissions monitoring is PRIMARILY to gauge the effectiveness of the mandatory emissions testing. Allowing someone to skip an emissions test is a secondary benefit. (And, worth noting, that the law states that a random 2% of the vehicles that pass roadside test are still required to get a test at a shop. And some vehicles, depending on make and model, are ALWAYS required to get a test at a shop, even if they pass the roadside test. I'd love to see what makes and models these are but all you can do is input a VIN to find out if that vehicle is one of them...)

"
  1. The Commonwealth of Virginia applies a Vehicle Emissions Index (VEI) to determine the cleanest overall group of vehicles and their eligibility for RAPIDPASS. The VEI is an automated calculation based on the emissions test history of a particular Year, Make, and Engine Size. The VEI is updated quarterly and can range from a VEI score of 1 to 100. A lower VEI represents a vehicle that is expected to run cleaner than a vehicle with a higher VEI. Vehicle groups identified with a VEI exceeding the limit are not eligible for a RAPIDPASS. On the home page, click on VEI Lookup to use the VEI Lookup tool."

Last edited:
There is a code section listing the pass/fail limits for the roadside emissions testing:

(It's worth noting that they test for NOx, CO, and HCs, which are invisible--so you can fail one of these tests even if you aren't "rolling coal").

And, as I've stated previously, if your vehicle fails one of these, it will be subjected to ASM dyno testing, not just an OBD-II inspection. If for some reason it can't be given an ASM dyno test, then it will get a 2-speed idle test.

Them folks at DEQ are a little smarter than some give them credit for, and they are fully aware that a vehicle can be "tuned" to disable OBD-II monitors.
Good thing I don't have to worry about all of this nonsense..hahahaha. And I suppose they can only ding you if your car is registered where it matters, so if I drive through one it doens't matter b/c I don't require emissions testing where I am.

Your comment doesn't seem accurate however...."if you fail"...the reg as I stated above only says if you fail it by a certain amount and you are considered a "high on-road emitter" which sounds like you'd need to be off by A LOT and that wouldn't be cars with just a bad 02 sensor, a high flow cat, etc. Maybe a catless car? Yes, I get that this isn't just rolling coal, it was an example of an egregious emissions issue. If you can't get the rapid test to pass and it's below that limit, you just go get a normal/routine OBDII type test so not everyone is getting a dyno deal here like it sounds like you are saying.

I can't seem to recall what the testing was like when I was up there, I had a '94 Civic so pre-OBDII and they did a tailpipe test but don't recall a dyno. I actually failed b/c of a bad 02 sensor so just had to fix it to pass.

Good thing I don't have to worry about all of this..hahahaha. And I suppose they can only ding you if your car is registered where it matters, so if I drive through one it doens't matter b/c I don't require emissions testing where I am.

Your comment doesn't seem accurate however...."if you fail"...the reg as I stated above only says if you fail it by a certain amount and you are considered a "high on-road emitter" which sounds like you'd need to be off by A LOT and that wouldn't like cover cars with a bad 02 sensor, a high flow cat, etc. Yes, I get that this isn't just rolling coal, it was an example of an egregious emissions issue. If you can't get the rapid test to pass and it's below that limit, you just go get a normal/routine OBDII type test so not everyone is getting a dyno deal here like it sounds like you are saying.

The vehicles subject to the on-road testing are described in https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title9/agency5/chapter91/section740/ as follows:

"The on-road testing program and clean screen program including the emissions standards applicable thereto shall apply to any affected motor vehicles registered or operated primarily in the program area."

Note the difference between "registered" and "operated primarily" (in the program area).

The DEQ is well aware that some folks know that their vehicle won't pass (they've gutted the cats, for example) and therefore intentionally register that vehicle in a county where it isn't subject to emissions testing, but isn't kept or garaged in that county, it's kept/garaged (and primarily used) in Northern Virginia. (As to how they do this, having a cousin or other relative who lives in that county probably helps...)

And yes, a car with a bad O2 sensor or a "high flow" cat (depending on the quality of that cat; some are complete trash) will exceed the limits and be considered a "high on-road emitter".

And the whole reason for roadside emissions monitoring is PRIMARILY to gauge the effectiveness of the mandatory emissions testing. Allowing someone to skip an emissions test is a secondary benefit. (And, worth noting, that the law states that a random 2% of the vehicles that pass roadside test are still required to get a test at a shop. And some vehicles, depending on make and model, are ALWAYS required to get a test at a shop, even if they pass the roadside test. I'd love to see what makes and models these are but all you can do is input a VIN to find out if that vehicle is one of them...)

"
  1. The Commonwealth of Virginia applies a Vehicle Emissions Index (VEI) to determine the cleanest overall group of vehicles and their eligibility for RAPIDPASS. The VEI is an automated calculation based on the emissions test history of a particular Year, Make, and Engine Size. The VEI is updated quarterly and can range from a VEI score of 1 to 100. A lower VEI represents a vehicle that is expected to run cleaner than a vehicle with a higher VEI. Vehicle groups identified with a VEI exceeding the limit are not eligible for a RAPIDPASS. On the home page, click on VEI Lookup to use the VEI Lookup tool."
Yes, seems like only some cars are eligible to get the roadside as your "pass" and if you car isn't listed, you still have to go get a standard test.

I have a thread about the catalytic converter being stolen in my 02 Accord.

I spoke with the insurance company and they have decided to total the car over this. The adjuster said this is due to the age of the car, coupled with the high costs of the cat, oxygen sensor and repair to the surrounding exhaust.

I'm pretty sad. This car has sentimental value. It has been in my family since new and still runs & looks great.

They will let me know the exact payout amount tomorrow but I have been given 2 options:

- Take the check and turn over the car and title to the insurance co.
- Take a reduced check and get to keep the car with a salvage title.

If I was to keep the car, what would a salvage title mean? Is it undriveable with a salvage title until it is fixed and certified by the state? Is the salvage branding then converted to clean?

I thought about finding someone to straight pipe the exhaust but it wouldn't be able to pass an emissions inspection, and it would obviously not pass any sort of re-certification by the state without a cat.

This is my first time dealing with a totaled vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.
I’d suggest you speak to a couple autobody shops. I had an accident and the insurance company totaled my car. My local body shop said they were surprised it had been considered unsalvageable. I took the check from the insurance company and actually had it fixed for less than what the check amount was and then drove it for another 100,000 miles. Then used as a trade-in for a new car a couple years later.

I have a thread about the catalytic converter being stolen in my 02 Accord.

I spoke with the insurance company and they have decided to total the car over this. The adjuster said this is due to the age of the car, coupled with the high costs of the cat, oxygen sensor and repair to the surrounding exhaust.

I'm pretty sad. This car has sentimental value. It has been in my family since new and still runs & looks great.

They will let me know the exact payout amount tomorrow but I have been given 2 options:

- Take the check and turn over the car and title to the insurance co.
- Take a reduced check and get to keep the car with a salvage title.

If I was to keep the car, what would a salvage title mean? Is it undriveable with a salvage title until it is fixed and certified by the state? Is the salvage branding then converted to clean?

I thought about finding someone to straight pipe the exhaust but it wouldn't be able to pass an emissions inspection, and it would obviously not pass any sort of re-certification by the state without a cat.

This is my first time dealing with a totaled vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.
I’d suggest you speak to a couple autobody shops. I had an accident and the insurance company totaled my car. My local body shop said they were surprised it had been considered unsalvageable. I took the check from the insurance company and actually had it fixed for less than what the check amount was and then drove it for another 100,000 miles. Then used as a trade-in for a new car a couple years later.

Yes, seems like only some cars are eligible to get the roadside as your "pass" and if you car isn't listed, you still have to go get a standard test.

Most cars are likely eligible. The criteria for a vehicle to be removed from eligibility for skipping a shop emissions test by passing a roadside test is basically that the make/model/engine fails it's emissions tests more often than the average of all other vehicles.

^ It was roadside emissions testing that uncovered VW's Dieselgate.
That isn't how I read it - it was on-road testing of diesel cars by students at the U. of WV. Basically had a setup rigged in the trunks to test while they were driving and saw the higher numbers vs. when they had a stationary emissions test.

Most cars are likely eligible. The criteria for a vehicle to be removed from eligibility for skipping a shop emissions test by passing a roadside test is basically that the make/model/engine fails it's emissions tests more often than the average of all other vehicles.
I wonder by how much a high-flow "race" catted downpipe would fail one of these? Could also modify the DP by welding in a second GESI cat...it has a single cat up top vs. the dual it came with.

I put the VINs in for some vehicles I know that are more likely to be, ahem, "modified" and:

2006 Ford Mustang 4.0 -- not eligible (index 91)
2006 Subaru WRX -- not eligible (index 81)
2006 Honda Civic SI -- not eligible (index 92)

And then I put some VINs in for vehicles I know are less likely to be "modified":

2006 Toyota Camry -- eligible (index 66)
2006 Buick Lucerne -- eligible (index 75)
2006 Ford Escape -- eligible (index 66)

I put the VINs in for some vehicles I know that are more likely to be, ahem, "modified" and:

2006 Ford Mustang 4.0 -- not eligible (index 91)
2006 Subaru WRX -- not eligible (index 81)
2006 Honda Civic SI -- not eligible (index 92)

And then I put some VINs in for vehicles I know are less likely to be "modified":

2006 Toyota Camry -- eligible (index 66)
2006 Buick Lucerne -- eligible (index 75)
2006 Ford Escape -- eligible (index 66)
Interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back