Castrol TWS 10w60 - Where to buy in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Technically there's ESP Formula M 5w40 (meets ACEA A3/B4), but that isn't LL-01 approved.

I know, that's why I said "that meets LL-01"
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Technically there's ESP Formula M 5w40 (meets ACEA A3/B4), but that isn't LL-01 approved.

wink.gif

Sorry LL-01 is correct, I should have typed Mobil1 0W-40. It's been years since I quit using Mobil1 in this car.

Originally Posted By: NorWest5

wink.gif

Sorry LL-01 is correct, I should have typed Mobil1 0W-40. It's been years since I quit using Mobil1 in this car.

Goes to show just how different each car can be eh? LOL! Mine is the quietest on PU 5w-40 and M1 0w-40. Was the loudest on the BMW/Castrol 5w-30.

I ran Mobil1 in my M5 post 10,000 miles when the S62 engine was supposed to quit consuming a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (my engine switched off consumption like a switch was flipped at 10,000 miles). What I didn't like was the valve train racket with Mobil1. When I switched over to GC 0W-30 (the original green coloured product) my noisy vanos on startup immediately stopped. I still have some of the original GC but I am considering trying Pennzoil Ultra in the Euro LL-01 flavor which I think is their 0W-40 formula. My Honda S2000 really likes GC as well but I am considering moving to 10W-30 Pennzoil Ultra to ensure I still have enough GC on hand. All other Honda's in the family fleet run either PP or PU in 0W-20 and the Honda engines really like this oil.

Originally Posted By: NorWest5
I ran Mobil1 in my M5 post 10,000 miles when the S62 engine was supposed to quit consuming a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (my engine switched off consumption like a switch was flipped at 10,000 miles). What I didn't like was the valve train racket with Mobil1. When I switched over to GC 0W-30 (the original green coloured product) my noisy vanos on startup immediately stopped. I still have some of the original GC but I am considering trying Pennzoil Ultra in the Euro LL-01 flavor which I think is their 0W-40 formula. My Honda S2000 really likes GC as well but I am considering moving to 10W-30 Pennzoil Ultra to ensure I still have enough GC on hand. All other Honda's in the family fleet run either PP or PU in 0W-20 and the Honda engines really like this oil.

The PU 0w-40 has no Euro certs, only the Dodge SRT thing, as that's the application it is designed for. The PU product that is LL-01 approved is their ultra-low NOACK 5w-40, which is the product I'm currently running. It is excellent! And I expect it will show significantly less shear on a UOA than the M1 0w-40 did.

I thought there were two PU 0w40s: "SRT" and "Euro"?

I think you might be right, though I don't recall it actually being available and the spec's on it weren't great, high NOACK compared to the 5w-40....etc.

Right, as the 0w40 is not a GTL basestock...yet. Once it is, I think M1 0w40 will have some very strong competition.

And which Mobil 1 grade was this? You said 5w-40 in your previous post, but Mobil doesn't make a 5w-40 LL-01 approved lubricant, only their 0w-40. So were you talking about the Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40?

Just to muddy the waters a bit, there is an M1 5w-40 Formula M (non ESP) oil which meets MB 229.5 spec. In terms of performance, the 229.5 spec surpasses LL-01, so one would assume that it could easily meet it as well, alas, XOM has never officially put the LL-01 approval on the bottle as this oil is primarily sold by MB service departments.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Formula_M_5W-40.aspx

It appears to be a mid-SAPS oil, which may be of benefit to DI engines.

Right, as the 0w40 is not a GTL basestock...yet. Once it is, I think M1 0w40 will have some very strong competition.

Agreed
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And which Mobil 1 grade was this? You said 5w-40 in your previous post, but Mobil doesn't make a 5w-40 LL-01 approved lubricant, only their 0w-40. So were you talking about the Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40?

Just to muddy the waters a bit, there is an M1 5w-40 Formula M (non ESP) oil which meets MB 229.5 spec. In terms of performance, the 229.5 spec surpasses LL-01, so one would assume that it could easily meet it as well, alas, XOM has never officially put the LL-01 approval on the bottle as this oil is primarily sold by MB service departments.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Formula_M_5W-40.aspx

It appears to be a mid-SAPS oil, which may be of benefit to DI engines.

Said oil is also fairly easy to get at Pep Boys and other places.

Said oil is also fairly easy to get at Pep Boys and other places.

Really? I know Pep Boys carries the ESP version, but I've never seen the non-ESP version there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back