Castrol TWS 10w60 - Where to buy in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... you keep mixing things up

03/2000
Oil recommendation changed to 5w30
>this is the document/service bulletin you have

??/2000
TIS mentions remedies for oil consumption & replacement engines for cars built prior to 03/2000
>this is what i linked to

??/2006
TIS still list 5w30 for post 03/2000 cars
>this is the TIS you're quoting now

01/2008
BMW US list TWS only for engines s52, s62, s65, s85 regardless of production date

So unless theres any document dated later tha 01/2008 its tws only from bmw usa

Originally Posted By: JohnAnthony
Wait... you keep mixing things up

03/2000
Oil recommendation changed to 5w30
>this is the document/service bulletin you have

??/2000
TIS mentions remedies for oil consumption & replacement engines for cars built prior to 03/2000
>this is what i linked to

??/2006
TIS still list 5w30 for post 03/2000 cars
>this is the TIS you're quoting now

01/2008
BMW US list TWS only for engines s52, s62, s65, s85 regardless of production date

So unless theres any document dated later tha 01/2008 its tws only from bmw usa

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My copy of TIS is from like 2010. But the most recent document regarding the oil for the S62 in it is from 2006. I'm not mixing anything up, just not being clear I guess.

Whatever motivated BMW USA to change the recommendation back to TWS in 2008 doesn't appear to have made its way into TIS. Does that make more sense?
smile.gif

That's what my "clear as mud" comment was in regards to.

the original switch in the TIS is evidence in itself that the switch from TWS to 5w30 was not for performance reasons but simply for your average owner's convenience

that it remains unchanged in tis is simply because the engines pre-or-post 2000 can all run on thinner oils

the rod-bearings are all the same and the vanos have likely been updated with new solenoid boards

the original switch in the TIS is evidence in itself that the switch from TWS to 5w30 was not for performance reasons but simply for your average owner's convenience

that it remains unchanged in tis is simply because the engines pre-or-post 2000 can all run on thinner oils

the rod-bearings are all the same and the vanos have likely been updated with new solenoid boards

Great points
smile.gif

What I find bizarre is that this only appears to apply to BMW USA however
21.gif
German oil sites continue to recommend lighter oils for the post 02/2000 cars, whilst the American arms of the same oil companies specify that you need to obtain the special lubricant from BMW.

If any country is going to have these cars wrung out on a regular basis, I would think it would be Germany.....

I guess I find myself fixating on the topic because there is really no "answer". BMW USA says one thing, BMW Germany something else. The cars that have rod bearing issues seem to have them regardless of lubricant used and the letter from the engineer at BMW that was posted on M5board just adds more confusion to the topic.

I just don't get how 10W60 is recommended for the S54, S62, S65, and S85 engine, and BMW 5W30 and Mobil 1 0W40 is recommended for the X5M, X6M, 1M, and the new M5/M6, which puts out more power per litre due to force induction....

well, I'm still experimenting M1 0W40 in my M3, and so far so good, no abnormalities...

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I just don't get how 10W60 is recommended for the S54, S62, S65, and S85 engine, and BMW 5W30 and Mobil 1 0W40 is recommended for the X5M, X6M, 1M, and the new M5/M6, which puts out more power per litre due to force induction....

well, I'm still experimenting M1 0W40 in my M3, and so far so good, no abnormalities...

the oil systems and oil pressure have more to do with the oil recommendation than the power output

aston martin is the best example of this
their wet sump cars have the same castrol tws recommendation as BMW Ms
while
their dry sump cars have a 0W40 recommendation

the difference is all BMWs have wet sump - their Ms just higher redlines than their non-M counter parts

plus as discussed on bitog castrol tws shears down to a 50 weight oil very quickly
and if you go by the bmw recommended intervals it will be down to a 40 weight

so viscosity isn't the real issue as long as it's a 40 - 60 weight; like i said based on what's on bitog & bmw forums the recommendation of castrol isn't just about the viscosity but the type of lubrication and protection it provides

-very good cold flow
-low engine deposits
-catalytic-emissions systems protection

Hello everybody, I'm very pleased to be here, a great place really. Seeing there are folks that really know the stuff here wanted to ask a question. My car is A BMW 323ti compact E36 with M52B25 engine, it has been slightly moded - Scrick cams, M50 manifold, ECU flash, I use to drive hard and do some drifting from time to time. Results I can't find an oil that do the job (I don't know if there is such an oil) - to be good for street everyday driving and to be able to resist on the track. Last two oils were great for the summer days but both of them lasted 5 minutes on the track (and the lifters began to hear). I don't drive my car in the winter for the snow and the salt they throw everywhere here, so cold starts are not a big issue for me.
I wanted to ask if there can be any problems if I switch to 10W-60 oil as there are some good brands here (Liqui Moly, Castrol TWS, Millers) and some of them I can get in a real good price. I know 10W-60 is only recomended for M Power cars, I don't know if such a ¨thick¨ oil can cause any problems in my engine(overheating, premature wear, bad lubrication in slow city driving, etc.), actually I'm not sure if my car's oil pump can move that viscozity and what the results would be.
Would be grateful if somebody can recomend me an oil that's good for daily driving and good for the track also.
Thanks in advance and excuse me for my very bad english. Regards!

Originally Posted By: mva
Here is a thread from 2011 on this topic:

"Why does BMW require 10W60?"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2456256&page=1

BMW requires TWS because they work with castrol in developing an oil that provides both Clean Lubrication & can stand up to Track/High Speed conditions

M cars in germany are meant to commute to work @155mph and hit the track on the weekend - tws provides protection in both situations - outside of the germany and europe speed limits are much lower and few can get away with 100+mph commutes so a 60weight is required as many keep pointing out

TWS is not the only oil that provides outstanding lubrication - plenty of other oils have more additives to improve their lubrication properties, but they will likely leave deposits if run on extended intervals close to BMWs recommendation

so really if you want 15,000 mile oci tws will beat any other 60 weight when it comes time to measuring any build up/deposits that may have been left (check bottom of oil filter housing)

but there are many oils that provide excellent lubrication - this was never and will never be different. since everyone spends $100 on oil and dumps it @5000miles whether its TWS or M1 or Liqui Moly - you won't have deposits and the engine will never know the difference

i've used bmw 5w30, m1 0w40, m1 5w50, and tws my car never just stopped and threw up an error message saying:

"warning no castrol tws in engine not enough lubrication to continue"

Originally Posted By: turbokick
I can't find an oil that do the job (I don't know if there is such an oil) - to be good for street everyday driving and to be able to resist on the track. Last two oils were great for the summer days but both of them lasted 5 minutes on the track (and the lifters began to hear).

if there's nothing wrong with your lifters then it's likely the oil pick up points since bmw doesnt build 3-series factory deift cars your oil system cant keep up with the g-loads and what you hear might be oil starvation - if so a 60 weight probably won't make a difference - you might want to look into accusump systems to correct this.

Originally Posted By: mva
Here is a thread from 2011 on this topic:

"

turbokick said:
I can't find an oil that do the job (I don't know if there is such an oil) - to be good for street everyday driving and to be able to resist on the track. Last two oils were great for the summer days but both of them lasted 5 minutes on the track (and the lifters began to hear).

if there's nothing wrong with your lifters then it's likely the oil pick up points since bmw doesnt build 3-series factory deift cars your oil system cant keep up with the g-loads and what you hear might be oil starvation - if so a 60 weight probably won't make a difference - you might want to look into accusump systems to correct this.

Maybe I didn't express correctly or you didn't get what I wanted to say - my car doesn't have any problem in lubrication, when running ¨normal¨ style (without staying in the red line zone for too much time) and using a good 5W-40 (or 5W-50) I never hear any noise, no oil consumption neither. I was speaking of really ¨spirited¨ driving, when I normally stay above 5000rpm. for prolonged periods (driftdays).
I think I will give Motul Le Mans 300V a try, everyone recomends it to me, it must be a good oil for sport driving.
Regards.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Besides the BMW dealer that is.....?

I'd rather use a Mobil product, but it appears they don't make a lubricant suitable for this car.

I haven't got it yet, but I'd like to get all my ducks in a row ahead of time.
I'm on the market for an E46 M3 so this topic is of interest. I read the entire thread and didn't see an answer to your question. Did you find a source in Canada?

Originally Posted By: bimmerdriver
Did you find a source in Canada?

I don't know if Overkill did or not, but aside from the dealer, perhaps a Wakefield distributor could help out. I'm fairly certain there is at least one in BC.

Originally Posted By: bimmerdriver
Besides the BMW dealer that is.....?

I'd rather use a Mobil product, but it appears they don't make a lubricant suitable for this car.

I haven't got it yet, but I'd like to get all my ducks in a row ahead of time.
I'm on the market for an E46 M3 so this topic is of interest. I read the entire thread and didn't see an answer to your question. Did you find a source in Canada?

No, I bought an '01 that only required an LL-01 oil, so it didn't end up mattering and I've used M1 0w-40 and PU 5w-40 in it at this point.

I've run BMW 05W-30 (made by Castrol), Mobil 5W-40 and the German made Castrol 0W-30 in my 2003 M5 since it was new. The best of these three is the German Castrol which the S62 engine really seems to love. The vanos in these cars does not like Mobil1.

Originally Posted By: NorWest5
I've run BMW 05W-30 (made by Castrol), Mobil 5W-40 and the German made Castrol 0W-30 in my 2003 M5 since it was new. The best of these three is the German Castrol which the S62 engine really seems to love. The vanos in these cars does not like Mobil1.

Mine was dead quiet on M1 0w-40
21.gif
(and is also dead-quiet on PU 5w-40).

What is your basis for the assertion that "the VANOS in these cars does not like Mobil 1" ?

What is your basis for the assertion that "the VANOS in these cars does not like Mobil 1" ?

+1 don't make the assumption on noise alone, fox example TWS is very noisy in the vanos compared to other 60 weight oils

but in general any time i put in fresh oil on my 01' M5, the noise level is greatly reduced during the first 1000 miles, regardless if i go from 0W40 to 5W50 or 5W50 to 0W40

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NorWest5
Racket and plenty of it.

And which Mobil 1 grade was this? You said 5w-40 in your previous post, but Mobil doesn't make a 5w-40 LL-01 approved lubricant, only their 0w-40. So were you talking about the Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back