Castrol Syntec or Penzzoil Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

From my avatar you can tell my favorite so I will let the other 24K members voice their opinion.

Weight? I have recently come to learn that oils of the same manufacture can vary greatly between weights. For example, I would take Syntec 0w30 (GC) over any of the PP's, but would choose PP in any other weight...but this opinion is relatively uneducated.

I'd go for PP.
Not that Syntec is a bad oil, but I think PP is as good or maybe even slightly better and generally costs a few $ less per 5 qt jug.
If Syntec was $5 cheaper than PP I would probably (and have previously)purchased it.

Either...both very good oils in the 5W-20 grade. IF you were looking for 5W/10W-30, I'd say PP, as it meets the more stringent GM 4718M, but for the 20-weights, I think both are pretty equal...IMO.

I ran Syntec 5w-20 in my wife's last Miata. The engine in that car was lovingly referred to as "the little volcano".

Traded it at 47k on an '08 Miata hardtop; the innards were clean as a whistle.

No contest. PP. I'm not sure if Syntec is good at anything to be honest. It doesn't meet any of the more demanding specs. I'd use a good conventional oil before I would use Syntec. Syntec isn't bad, but it's overpriced and always has been.

Pennzoil Platinum based on the spec's it meets alone, and the fact that Penn refines their own Group III and must use some percentage of PAO in at least some of the formulations...

And it's a little cheaper at Wal-Mart...

Originally Posted By: buster
No contest. PP. I'm not sure if Syntec is good at anything to be honest. It doesn't meet any of the more demanding specs. I'd use a good conventional oil before I would use Syntec. Syntec isn't bad, but it's overpriced and always has been.

Agreed
01.gif
I used Castrol from 1968 to 1990. I used it in everything from motorcycle engines as small as 250cc up to big Chrysler V8's. I noticed it really started to go downhill around 1988. I would not use it now.

Since you asked about these two and not advice on other brands, I would most definitely go with PP.

not all Syntec are same at least this has been the concensus on this forum...you cannot go wrong with GC (0W-30 Syntec - The German Made Only!!)

my fav...is Valvoline SuperSyn....i honestly beleive that it is little better than PP....what i love most about Valvoline is that they have full synthetic MaxLife as well...so let say u got an older or high milage engine or and engine which never or barely used synthetic oil....Full Synthetic MaxLife is the way to go....and it makes even more sense if u got a big engine and u live where it gets +35C in summers....

anyways...PP is also very good but i prefer it next to Valvo!

and valvo also have a european line....if only people relaise that they can get this amazing oil for such a cheap price if they buy it by a case from a local distributor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back