Thickest common 5w30 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to contradict the toyota engineers that spec'd 5w-30, but I want to outthink the toyota engineers...

I'd shop for xw-30 with a spec like MB 229 and/or BMW LL-01/04. Any of those require HTHS >3.6. Garden variety SN+/SP xw-30 will not have this.

This is assuming you are okay with other aspects of running a euro oil in a toyota. I am, so Mobil FS 0w-40 it is.

How is Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 running in the Pentastar V6? How is the oil pressure and fuel mileage? Thank you! I'm curious about trying it.
You're welcome! I've been running it for a few years now, switching between ESP 0W30 and 5W30. Oil pressure on a cold start is a tiny bit higher than 5W20, hot idle a tiny bit higher as well. Please note I dumped the 5W20 at about 60 miles for 5W30 PU, and it hasn't seen a 20 grade oil since, so my pressure comments are based on memory. What I can say is that even after sitting for weeks, sometimes a month or more there might be a start up tick for a split second. Sitting for 2-3 weeks no noise at all on a cold start.

Perhaps it is because no one likes to answer contrived and essentially trolling questions. There is zero technical reasons as to why you would have to confine your selection to a 30-grade if "thickness" is your goal. No engine requires a specific grade, so if you feel inclined to limit yourself then it's entirely a made up restriction.

I gave you my answer. You can find an oil from there. Here's a hint, even if the blender or manufacturer does not list an HT/HS value the associated approvals an oil may hold specify a minimum value. Use that if you still feel the need to pursue this mysterious and arbitrary goal. Read edyvw's post directly above mine.
How the hell am I trolling? Almost everyone has been answering my question and I’m satisfied. It’s like the twilight zone on this forum sometimes. You literally cannot ask a question and get an answer with certain people. Who cares if an engines ain’t confined to a certain grade. The question for the sake of information and knowledge is, what 5w30 has the highest hths aka thickness. I literally don’t understand what’s so bad about asking a simple question

People complain about certain questions as if it costs them money for me to ask the questions it’s ridiculous

Taken from the VOA Database, sorted by viscosity:

I left the two Pennzoil Euro L's at the top off because those VOAs are about 7 years old. The more recent one is still on this list, but a little lower.
This is the answer I was looking for with my specific question. No “why? What? No reason to care, go up a grade bla bla bla”. You answered my question without questioning why I asked it. Thank you very much I am taking a screenshot.

Do you guys think penzoil euro L is a good choice for my 1uz engine? It says it’s good for gasoline cars but my cars owners manual specifies energy conserving which this is not, it should still be fine right?

I’m researching just for curiosity Quaker state 5w40 euro vs penzoil 5w30 euro L. Seem like they are pretty similar as far as hths goes

People complain about certain questions as if it costs them money for me to ask the questions it’s ridiculous
It does cost people their time to answer your question. Even if your question is poorly conceived, displays ignorance of the topic, or is outright trolling. In that way, asking a weird question without providing any feedback is in fact, disrespectful to the members who took the time to answer you. And on that basis, this thread is closed.

... what 5w30 has the highest hths aka thickness. I literally don’t understand ...

You said it right there. You don't understand what a few of us are trying to tell you. Your initial quest is a road to nowhere; it has little meaning in the real world.

Vis and HT/HS are related, but not the same concepts.

Further, just because lube A starts at vis "X.x", it may degrade faster in service than does grade B with a slightly lower, but more stable, vis than grade A.

I care far more about the rate of degradation of the lube, than what it starts out at.

Most of us understand that; you apparently don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back