VOA - Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30

Taken from a 5QT jug that was shaken (not stirred) with a date code of 11022G15A 6289 as noted on the jug. Given the initial oxidation, I am glad I did a VOA as a baseline (I always do anyway). I am now running this in my Wrangler (replacing VEP 5W-30).

Enjoy!

HEYpNoJ.png

This is just a guess, however, I believe that the 31 oxidation number indicates a nice ester content. This looks like a solid choice for anyone who wants to run something different, but isn't ready to spend money on a boutique oil.

Trimer Moly to help with cam wear, and a very nice amount of Boron multifunctional additives, which also act as friction reducers. ZDDP is also somewhere in-between API SP and full-SAPS oils, though at 800ppm Phosphorus, it clearly qualifies as an API SP oil, should Mobil choose to get an API SP license for this product.

Mobil really seems to like that add pack. Around 70 moly and 300 boron
HPL likes a lot of moly-700
Boron around 80.

Well, the lab tech's comments are worthless as usual. lol

I like the look of this oil. The ZDDP content is on the upper end of SP, teetering toward full SAPS ACEA concentration. Calcium being the lone detergent with no magnesium is interesting. A big slug of boron, typical moly content. The KV100 is right on the edge of the 30/40 grade boundary.

This oil, to me, looks like the junior version of M1 FS Euro 0W-40. It's like FS and EP series had a one night stand, got knocked up, and made this.

HPL uses other EP additives besides boron.

I like the look of this oil. The ZDDP content is on the upper end of SP, teetering toward full SAPS ACEA concentration. Calcium being the lone detergent with no magnesium is interesting. A big slug of boron, typical moly content. The KV100 is right on the edge of the 30/40 grade boundary.

This oil, to me, looks like the junior version of M1 FS Euro 0W-40. It's like FS and EP series had a one night stand, got knocked up, and made this.

Horizon/Polaris typically does not do things like that--especially since I stated this was a virgin oil test when I uploaded the order and they also know the vehicle it is going in as that is also part of the equipment (just removed it from the image before I uploaded it here). 🤷‍♂️

Otherwise, yep, I hope this oil does well in my Wrangler. I was not overly impressed with VEP, though it did retain TBN better than RGT did. I have a friend back in TX who has been running some version of 0W-40 in his since the first oil change and it does very well. It may be a bit thick for the winter around here despite the 0W number.

Polaris is usually better about the comments like that. I meant more in general, the lab comments are usually useless, either entirely off the mark or too layman.

I think it'll be fine, and anything with a 0W-xx rating will be fine for winter.

Horizon/Polaris typically does not do things like that--especially since I stated this was a virgin oil test when I uploaded the order and they also know the vehicle it is going in as that is also part of the equipment (just removed it from the image before I uploaded it here). 🤷‍♂️

Otherwise, yep, I hope this oil does well in my Wrangler. I was not overly impressed with VEP, though it did retain TBN better than RGT did. I have a friend back in TX who has been running some version of 0W-40 in his since the first oil change and it does very well. It may be a bit thick for the winter around here despite the 0W number.
VEP? Meaning Valvoline Extended Protection?

He was talking about M1 EP, not VEP.

They look like caned comments to me. Polaris gets an "F" for lack of effort on this one.

It's an ACEA C3 Diesel PCMO that happens to also work in gasoline engines.

Please name them.

NOACK = 9.1%

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 uses ANs, just esters:

1440282964_Mobil1ESP0W-30.gif.5a46750da19b073e7b4954864b700ce5.gif

AN = Alkylated naphthalene. It's a group V base oil that adds solvency to the oil and improves friction reduction.

I am using Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 and it does not have AN's like the HPL oils have. So how would the HPL oils be better than Mobil 1 ESP? I understand the friction reduction, but what do you mean by adds solvency?

Some base oils (particularly group IV PAO) have difficulty dissolving additives in solution. Group V base oils like ANs and esters have low aniline points and high solvency which, when added to a non-polar base oil, improves the ability of the base oil blend to dissolve additives into solution and keep them in solution. In much the same way, they can dissolve carbon deposits, sludge, and varnish into solution as well, thus improving the oil's ability to clean inside the engine. They also have a positive effect on the oil's volatility, and improve the oil's shear and thermal stability at high heat. A downside is they can hurt low temperature pumpability as they tend to have low viscosity indexes of 80-100. They can also interfere with anti-wear performance if the concentration is too high.

HPL's oils contain both AN and ester. They clean better than M1 ESP and likely less volatile. Aside from the base oil, HPL employs much more top treatment with moly-based additives for better friction reduction and oxidation resistance, a higher amount of overbased detergents, and much higher starting TBN nearly double that of the M1 ESP.

Back