Castrol GTX 5W20 - 25,056Miles - 07 Galant ES 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
forget the oil, the credit goes to Mitsubishi for building a tight 4 cylinder engine!
thumbsup2.gif

I have no doubt the oil was in the car for as long as the OP stated. My question is the accuracy of the report. It looks to good to be true. JMO

Originally Posted By: Billy007

Here are a couple of UOA of a sludged up engine Post # 98 of page 4 and Post #250 of page 10 (see the link). Actually his wear numbers are not bad, showing that the UOA is a poor indicator of what’s happening inside the engine. Page 7 post #166 shows detailed pictures of what’s happening. Post #314 shows pictures of his oil sludged pan. This is exactly what happens when people don’t maintain their cars properly.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94785&page=4

+1

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I somewhat agree with you. It's happened to me a couple times. My first 20K run, or the time my TBN was near 10 after 10K. People really didn't believe it - but I was OK with the questioning. It happens for sure, but it's not so simple. I think it's actually fine line of balance with some other dynamics going on:

1) First and foremost folks are actually debating all the time what the value of a UOA is. Can it really talk to engine wear? Can a UOA really predict or even detect sludge?

2) I think we can all agree that a UOA is just a very narrow snapshot, a single event. Not as much information there as I, or anyone want to infer.

3) It's all about patterns. There is a fine line between and pattern and a mindset. If we see great super long OCI's of 15K, 20K, 25K with conventional oil posted regularly with good numbers, eventually a pattern is established, a norm is set.

4) There is nothing wrong with discussing or bringing something that does not fit a pattern. It's a point of discussion. Should we hold our thoughts? I mean look how I chose my words in my first post. I really tried not to insult the man, or challenge is honesty. Bill, are you really saying that I should not question these things? That sort of goes against what you stand for.

I think the value of a UOA is pretty high. Its better than some piece of marketing paper saying 15k miles or one year like Mobil says. Its better than going by color or tea leaves.

We all know that for a high percentage of the vehicles out there, 3000 miles or 3 months is pretty well of a joke yet we have people here who do that all the time. Even with syn.

UOAs are much better when trending. They have save serious $$ and life in aviation for MANY years. Terry reads them to a point of amazement (and I don't get amazed very often) so there is some data there that is accurate.

No I have no problem DISCUSSING questions. Telling someone flat out that they are posting a LIE is just wrong. But if this was Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 plenty of members would have been jumping up and down posting beyond belief. See with syn there would be no make up oil (which I find funny, if the engine uses oil, its going to use ANY oil. On my Corolla I use more syn than conventional per OCI)

But no, questioning is good. Calling someone a liar (which has happened to me here by some members) is NOT good.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

questioning is good. Calling someone a liar (which has happened to me here by some members) is NOT good.

Take care, Bill

Then that's what I'll do, I question the results of this UOA!

To me, someone w/o a ton of experience, this UOA actually does fit what I'd expect to see, just better remaining TBN (if you wanna even call that as anything substantial). The moderately elevated iron is the penalty for the over-length oci, perfectly normal. I would expect to see more of the other metals too, but therein lies the mystery.

imo, this UOA post was very interesting and useful in understanding what goes on outside the normal 5-10k oci range.

holy [censored].

Id bet there are some deposit issues after that one, BUT lets not take anything away from the oil.

I wouldnt make a habit of that, but it looks like it didnt hurt anything!

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
forget the oil, the credit goes to Mitsubishi for building a tight 4 cylinder engine!
thumbsup2.gif

I looked a bit for other UOA's on this engine and came up blank. I think I found a few turbo 4's but no NA 4 cylinders. The Mitsu V6's sure don't shed much wear metals, not sure how hard they are on the oil.

Everyone has their mind set and anything showing ANYTHING different from their mindset is [censored].

Yeah kinda like this guy was treated:

Amsoil with 46K

Stinks on that thread too.
06.gif

I really love this place. If the UOA does not reinforce their mindset than the place that did the UOA is a joke. But if it does show their mindset then its the best UOA on the board.

Or its something else. Another reason why I don't post any more UOAs that I've done.

I'm sick of the [censored].
smirk2.gif

Let the marketing spew time and time again but heaven forbid something else with facts like a UOA be posted.

Sigh! The people that post here are human, mature and immature alike. Why do you think politics or religion are not allowed? Gad Zukes, if our egos are so tied up with a brand of oil or whether this car really went 25K, or not (BTW, who cares?), what would happen if we were discussing something REALLY important? I have two sayings to ponder for the occasion:

1) "This is just another drop of urine in the bladder of life."

2) "Life is 90 percent how you take it and 10 percent how you make it."

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
How does it look under the oil cap? Any heavy deposits?

let alone the carbon build and such around the piston rings, which would not let them move freely after a period of time, so in turn they could not seal properly, which could easily cause high oil comsumption (and a women being the driver GL with the level being checked) :byebye: motor, (seen it with a honda odyessy motor [J35??] with only 120k on it, and it did not even have a leak any where on it, so all of it got burned off [last oil change was overdue by 20k by the sticker on the windshield, and even better it was a grease monkey sticker too)
or the rings seal so badly that the motor can not even build enough compression to even be able to start it (seen that on a mitsibishi motor too with only like 120K on it iirc [4g63 non turbo])

so the actually wear of the metals and such were not so much the problem (the oil was still doing it's primary job as intended to lubricate), it was all the [censored] that had built up inside of the engines which had caused the issues

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
thumbsup2.gif

I looked a bit for other UOA's on this engine and came up blank. I think I found a few turbo 4's but no NA 4 cylinders. The Mitsu V6's sure don't shed much wear metals, not sure how hard they are on the oil.

Yep, I ran a couple of UOA's on my Mitsu V6. Blackstone said they had seen virgin oil that didnt look as good as mine after a normal OCI (4 to 5K miles on Havoline 5w30 dino). So, I suspended the UOAs on that engine for the meantime - will check back after a couple more OCI's.

Maybe the Mitsu 4 banger is equally easy on the oil, or even better.

Which Mitsu 4-cylinder are you talking about, blmqzjc?

My wife has a 2001 Eclipse GS 5-speed with the 2.4 SOHC 4 cyl. 170,000 miles on it, had a previous owner (she got it at 130k miles) who did not check/change the oil regularly.

The dipstick was severely varnished at first. We went 20k miles on Castrol GTX 10W-30 at 3k mile OCIs. That oil got black fast. Was doing some serious cleaning. Then we went to GC 0W-30 for 2x OCI's of 6000 miles. Now we run RTS 5W-40 in it for 6k mile OCI's. The dipstick where the oil reads is 90% cleaner now than when she first got it, so I know the inside of the engine is looking better. The RTS cleans very well from how fast I've seen the oil change in a couple of our vehicles compared to other oils.

Anyways, point being, this 2.4 SOHC has 170,000 miles on it and runs like a dream. Oil consumption has been going down and down (duh, especially after fixing the valve cover gasket). Uses a quart every 2000-2500 miles. Used to be 1000-1200 miles it would use a quart. I think things are cleaning up inside of it, rubber is being reconditioned, and this engine has a long life ahead of it. I just put a new fill of RTS 5W-40 in it (had 6500 miles on the previous fill of RTS) and with 700 miles into this OCI, the oil hasn't budged a hair on the dipstick that I can tell. The engine is actually getting BETTER with simple maintenance.

I was simply referring to the OP's 4 cylinder, which is the UOA we are discussing. I have no first hand knowledge of Mitsu 4 bangers - only the 3.5 6 cylinder in my Diamante.

I'm inferring that maybe Mitsubishi manufactures a pretty darn good engine, whether 4 or 6 cyl. Hope that clarifies.

Jaymus, for your engine, I'd do a UOA if you havent already, and then consider an autoRX treatment to really clean up the engine. You may drive it another 170k miles, who knows!

GTX gets black faster than any other conventional I've ever seen. I ran it a couple times in my SOHC Saturn and it seemed to do its job well. If I ever see that go on sale again, I'll pickup some more for a summertime run. (since its thicker than my winter oils)

Last edited:
I had a 2.4 Mitsu in an Outlander and it was very easy on oil. I used to have 4-5 TBN left with Amsoil on 1 year OCIs with 14-15k of mostly short trips. It used to run very warm oil temps and sometimes the sample bottle would start to collapse from the hot oil. I always figured this helped with TBN retention as the moisture was kept cooked out of the oil.

They are a great engine and mine used very little oil usually requiring about half a qt of make up oil in 14-15k. They are a very nice engine.

REDDOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back