Castrol GTX 5W20 - 25,056Miles - 07 Galant ES 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Pablo and others, I have a really hard time believing this is actually 25k on one fill of oil with no top-off - there'd be 'some' consumption, unless it was filled in with gas, hence the low flashpoint.....

But, if I take the OP at his word, this is an amazing report, and shows just how easy highway miles and a modern, tight engine are on oil. I went 9k on dino in mixed driving in my 2002 Cavalier with an 'old style' OHV engine, and I came back with a TBN of 0.5.

Well, you must admit you knew you'd see some skepticism when posting this. That is a TON of miles to still have a TBN of over 1, but at the same time, Blackstone's credibility isn't the greatest.

I believe the oil was in the car for 25,000 miles and oil thickens, it doesnt thin. This makes it quite believable to me. I believe because I seen my girlfriends oil after 32,000 miles and it was black sticky and goey but no chunks. That filter looks nasty enough to me to have been in there that long and I also believe she probably didnt add oil, because I cant remmeber the last time any woman I know checked the oil in her car. I dont trust Blackstones TBN results and I wonder about that. Especially since they tell her there is no problem with the high metals, tells me they are hiring some high school grad to read these numbers and send people a generic feelgood response. But Iam questioning the lab, not the person that sent in the oil. I believe him. Of course Iam one of those guys that think Synthetics are a waste of money too, no offense, Ill use it but only at conventional oil prices. I think its funny that no one would have a hard time believing Synthetic could retain a TBN of 1.5 but a conventional could not, they all meet the same SM specs. Still this is the best oil anylsis I seen yet of how well a extremely abused oil turned out.

I do not have a problem believing it. I do not recall the OP specifically saying that no make up oil had been added. How would he know if she tossed a quart in when getting gas? I doubt it though as I have never seen a woman pop the hood when getting gas in all of my life!

SInce Ihave known people that put 120,000 mileson vechiles with only 1-2 oil changes but always toping up I can believe 25K on dino.To many people cars are appliances like a TV set or blender so maintainence is not someting they think of.I have know people that did not know they had to change the oil and filter they grew up in New York with mass transiet. THey thought you just needed to top it off and check the oil rom time to time. One guy had 50K on his Supra and my Dad helped him change his timing chain in the parking lot.

I would have this gal useing AMsoil or Redline with OCI's like this!

P.S. I can go 10K miles and never have to add oil to my Camry. So I do not see where consumption would go up right away just because I double the OCI. It would need time to dry rot the seals and wear the rings to produce oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: cven
For the service this oil took it seems to have done a great job.

+1. I was expecting to see gore but there is none.

On the other hand, I still bet the oil left behind significant deposits.

That would be my take. The reason the engine required no make up is that there is 2 quarts sitting in the pan (or whatever).

We need a cavity search.

You friend is not responsible. TO go 25k on dino and on Castrol GTX
crackmeup2.gif

Now now, Castrol GTX is top quality dino. People only hate on it because of the price. It still performs excellent.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Now now, Castrol GTX is top quality dino. People only hate on it because of the price. It still performs excellent.

Castrol GTX, Mobil 5000, PYB, Valvoline Prem,... are all quality oils. I would use any of them, just not run them for 25K. I was making fun of running dino for 25K.

If there is this much sludge in the filter, it must be by passing and no filter action at all for this engine. I would say there is a lot of sludge in this engine.

Good job, doing the deed and pulling a UOA. I'd rather see someone run long on oil than run low on oil.

Originally Posted By: refaller
Help me out. If they say wear is slightly high, but apparently based on 6000 miles then wouldn't her's be awfully low? I don't think I would change a thing.

ref

The universal wear average for iron is 9 per 6,000 miles. 25,000 OCI/6,000 miles universal average = 4.16. 4.16 X 9 =
expected wear of 37; actual wear was 60 for iron.

This is 60-37 = 23 parts per million more than would be expected, or 23/37 = 62% greater wear.

The expected wear would be 37, based on universal averages. This would be the base of comparison for the extra wear. It appears you used actual wear of 60 as the base.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Everyone has their mind set and anything showing ANYTHING different from their mindset is [censored].

Yeah kinda like this guy was treated:

Amsoil with 46K

Stinks on that thread too.
06.gif

I really love this place. If the UOA does not reinforce their mindset than the place that did the UOA is a joke. But if it does show their mindset then its the best UOA on the board.

Or its something else. Another reason why I don't post any more UOAs that I've done.

I'm sick of the [censored].
smirk2.gif

Let the marketing spew time and time again but heaven forbid something else with facts like a UOA be posted.

I somewhat agree with you. It's happened to me a couple times. My first 20K run, or the time my TBN was near 10 after 10K. People really didn't believe it - but I was OK with the questioning. It happens for sure, but it's not so simple. I think it's actually fine line of balance with some other dynamics going on:

1) First and foremost folks are actually debating all the time what the value of a UOA is. Can it really talk to engine wear? Can a UOA really predict or even detect sludge?

2) I think we can all agree that a UOA is just a very narrow snapshot, a single event. Not as much information there as I, or anyone want to infer.

3) It's all about patterns. There is a fine line between and pattern and a mindset. If we see great super long OCI's of 15K, 20K, 25K with conventional oil posted regularly with good numbers, eventually a pattern is established, a norm is set.

4) There is nothing wrong with discussing or bringing something that does not fit a pattern. It's a point of discussion. Should we hold our thoughts? I mean look how I chose my words in my first post. I really tried not to insult the man, or challenge is honesty. Bill, are you really saying that I should not question these things? That sort of goes against what you stand for.

I am surprised at 25,000 miles it still has TBN left. Also the viscosity is still very close to being in range.
Iron wear is quite a bit higher but the other wear is very low....odd.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of UOA of a sludged up engine Post # 98 of page 4 and Post #250 of page 10 (see the link). Actually his wear numbers are not bad, showing that the UOA is a poor indicator of what’s happening inside the engine. Page 7 post #166 shows detailed pictures of what’s happening. Post #314 shows pictures of his oil sludged pan. This is exactly what happens when people don’t maintain their cars properly.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94785&page=4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back