Castrol GTX 5W20 - 25,056Miles - 07 Galant ES 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a UOA from my friends 2007 Mitsubishi Galant with the 2.4L. The oil was Castrol GTX and had 25,056 miles on it and the engine has 56,644 miles. She mainly drives 90% highway and 10% city. Since she doesn't like to get her oil changed, as you can see. I put Pennzoil Platinum in her engine since it had the great rebate and I believe should allow her to go until April or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first, when I will change it for her again to make sure it gets done. Also Blackstone says on the report it was 5W30 but it is supposed to be 5W20, according to oil changed sticker on windshield, the oil was last changed at Wally World so I do not know.

D99922.jpg

Also here is a link to a thread about the filter I took off when I changed the oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1736252#Post1736252

Help me out. If they say wear is slightly high, but apparently based on 6000 miles then wouldn't her's be awfully low? I don't think I would change a thing.

ref

Originally Posted By: refaller
Help me out. If they say wear is slightly high, but apparently based on 6000 miles then wouldn't her's be awfully low? I don't think I would change a thing.

ref

You'd reccommend another 25k run on dino? Really? Did you see the pics of the filter? Wow

The fe makes it look like this was really M1 lol

Kudos on getting a UOA. What did she learn from it?
The oil seems to be a good match for her engine and use, and maybe it will last with a shorter OCI.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Pablo's skeptical.
+1 add me to the list of skeptics. Based on the comments section I've lost some respect for Blackstone here. 10-15k on any dino, not me.

Originally Posted By: cven
For the service this oil took it seems to have done a great job.

+1. I was expecting to see gore but there is none.

On the other hand, I still bet the oil left behind significant deposits.

It sort of reinforces my idea that these modern engines are indestructable and that the oil not as much as the manufacture is why these cars are running 200,000+ miles with such poor maintence. When I met my wife and we were dating I changed the oil in her Chevy Z24 and it had been 32,000 miles since her last oil change and it looked as cruddy. This was 16 years ago so I didnt think to do a oil anyasis on it, they werent as popular then, but the car still ran fine until she sold it with 102,000 miles on it.

This is an example of how so many cars get by with lubrication abuse that makes the average BITOGer go into convulsions. We are so picky and pedantic compared to the average car using person. Only a modern engine could get away with this, IMO, because they are generally so much easier on the oil than in the past. I'm stunned at how good the oil was considering. The fact that she drove mostly freeway helped a lot. If this car was a short hopper, I doubt it would have survived. The filter... gagorama.

I just don't think there is 25K miles on this oil.

The solids would be higher. There would have been some consumption. I'm sorry, but I think the oil may have been changed a couple times.....

Quote:
supposed to be 5W20, according to oil changed sticker on windshield, the oil was last changed at Wally World so I do not know.

It's not a matter of trust, just maybe she forgot or someone else did it for her in the year plus time frame, that's all. There is enough doubt to be skeptical.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: cven
For the service this oil took it seems to have done a great job.

+1. I was expecting to see gore but there is none.

On the other hand, I still bet the oil left behind significant deposits.

Check out the photos of the cut open oil filter (Fram orange), and you'll see more of what we expected. The filter seems saturated yet the UOA doesn't scream panic.
21.gif

I think this woman is a hockey mom with no time.The country is full of them. Castrol makes good stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back