CASTROL: EDGE or MAGNATEC

Whichever is in stock. I've flipped between the two on my G35, wife's Fusion, and our son's Accord (3.5 V6). I know you said "same price" but I'll save a few bucks any time I can and if Edge is full price (not on sale at Walmart), I'll take Magnetec. At least at WM, the price of the two has been coming together so I wonder why WM stocks Magnetec anymore.

I like Magnatec. Both are fine considering they're much closer in price than they used to be. Magnatec used to be a bargain at $17 and change.

Right now my favourite oil is Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, as it carries the Euro OEMs of BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5, so you know it’s the good stuff. I have a new (to me) Nissan X-Trail (aka Rogue) with the QR25DE engine that is very hard on oil, so I like the higher HTHS and shear stability that comes with a Euro oil.

However if a friend asks me to suggest an oil for their car, I often suggest Magnatec of the correct grade and spec for their application. I want them to use a good oil that I trust, and it’s easy to find, however I don’t want to over spend a friends money and I know Magnatec is always reasonably priced.

Only morons buy engine oils that don't have Intelligent Molecules! :giggle:

I'm mean, seriously, did the other oils even get past the 8th grade? Skirt by with a GED even? No way! Castrol Magnatec got a master's degree in quantum marketing and hyper-advanced logo generation.

Unfortunately, I went into Walmart today for some Castrol Magnatec and the guy at the register wouldn't sell it to me when he found out I failed my MENSA exam.

I'm now forced to live my life in Mobil 1 mediocrity, my engines will never become the sentient machines they could have been destined to become.

MT additive?
I believe he is saying that according to Castrol, Edge also contains organic polar molecules that are attracted to metal surfaces (“intelligent molecules“ - I don’t like that name, but whatever) that same as Magnatec (MT) does.

This has been reported a number of times when people asked Castrol directly. This technically makes Edge the better choice, again Castrol has confirmed this, as it’s sort of MagnatecPlusMore. I’ll try and dig up a thread for you, there was one recently.

Here it is:

I believe he is saying that according to Castrol, Edge also contains organic polar molecules that are attracted to metal surfaces (“intelligent molecules“ - I don’t like that name, but whatever) that same as Magnatec (MT) does.

This has been reported a number of times when people asked Castrol directly. This technically makes Edge the better choice, again Castrol has confirmed this, as it’s sort of MagnatecPlusMore. I’ll try and dig up a thread for you, there was one recently.

Here it is:
I just didn't understand what he was using MT for. But we're g2g now.

Shannow:
”Having discussed at length over dinner with a chemist who worked on the Magnatec programme, I'm a firm beleiver. (note, I'm not saying that others don't have something similar).”

“I asked if it was an ester, and he smiled, said he couldn't say but it wasn't far off. Stated also that their test regime (no details, other than it was an engine test) used a reference oil (M1 5W50 no less), a flushing oil, the test oil, flush oil, and then reference again to bookend the testing. Said that the residual surface agent was evident in the second flush, and on into the reference oil second run as well.”

Back