Castrol GTX Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Anyone here try the Castrol GTX "Magnatec" full synthetic 5W-20 in a Ford 5.0L Coyote? It meets the Ford spec WSS-M2C945-A. Experience and thoughts?

Having discussed at length over dinner with a chemist who worked on the Magnatec programme, I'm a firm beleiver.

(note, I'm not saying that others don't have something similar).

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Having discussed at length over dinner with a chemist who worked on the Magnatec programme, I'm a firm beleiver.

I bet that was pretty interesting - anything you can divulge from the discussion? I haven't studied up on the Magnatec much, but sounds like a good full synthetic and easy to find at a decent price.

Was pretty cagey (obviously), but pretty proud/happy.

I asked if it was an ester, and he smiled, said he couldn't say but it wasn't far off.

Stated also that their test regime (no details, other than it was an engine test) used a reference oil (M1 5W50 no less), a flushing oil, the test oil, flush oil, and then reference again to bookend the testing.

Said that the residual surface agent was evident in the second flush, and on into the reference oil second run as well.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

(note, I'm not saying that others don't have something similar).

But are they price competitive?

Magnatec is my current favorite oil. Picked up several 5 qt. jugs from Amazon at 15.xx per 5 quart jug.

Currently running it in my Outlander Sport and it is very quiet in that vehicle.

Magnatec at its current low pricing is probably the best bang for the buck right now.

When I exhaust my TGMO, I will run it in the Corolla as well.

Last edited:
Yeah Zee0six Castrol Magnatec is likely the best deal going from Wally World. It really holds up well in terms of maintaining TBN and viscosity in GDI motors and turbo boosted motors as well. That being the case makes it impressive quite a bit by itself. In a NA motor I bet Castrol Magnatec would really perform really, really well.

Makes my 2010 Ranger 2.3 quieter. Just ordered 3 5W20 5qt jugs from Walmart @ $15.90 with free shipping. Hard to beat.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Makes my 2010 Ranger 2.3 quieter. Just ordered 3 5W20 5qt jugs from Walmart @ $15.90 with free shipping. Hard to beat.
cheers3.gif

......That's $15.90 "per" jug..........

cheers3.gif

......That's $15.90 "per" jug..........

That's a great price, $3.18/qt. Might have to try some out myself now.

That Castrol site had this to say regarding oil film strength:
"SHAPING THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY FOR WELL OVER A CENTURY
When our founder Charles Cheers Wakefield patented his first lubricant, he worked with customers and world-leading pioneers in the motorcar, motorcycle and aviation industries. That innovative, collaborative spirit has kept Castrol at the forefront of cutting-edge engine oil technology - now with the doubling in oil film strength with Castrol EDGE, our strongest ever oil."

I am a huge fan of Magnatec and have run a lot of it, but only the 5w30, both versions. I am not a fan of 20 grades in general but am tempted to try Magnatec in a 20 grade just for giggles.

I am just not comfortable with it yet as a 10k oil yet, although there are multiple UOA's on here that suggest indeed it will do 10k in some applications. Have not had the courage to try it but 6-8k on Magnatec doesn't bother me a bit. For 10k I simply spend a few more dollars and go Edge 0w40.

Go for it Zee! Tell us how it runs. I bet it is really quiet in your Ford.

Is the Castrol Edge a step above their Magnatec? What's the main difference between them?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Is the Castrol Edge a step above their Magnatec? What's the main difference between them?

About five bucks currently.

member bobbydavro worked on "Titan"/Edge.

The intimation is that it's an evolution from Magnatec, in the positive direction...i.e. still has a surface active chemistry

Shannow,
I remember your posts about magnatec in the past. If that clinging substance really works, what measurable benefits do you get form that? less start up wear, corrosion protection? would that show up in UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back