My email from Castrol about Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 5L jug of Magnatec 5w20 from Napa and it says in the front "Part Synthetic" but I remember reading that 5w20 and 0w20 are full synthetic so I emailed Castrol and here is there reply.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the original engine manufacturer for the recommended grade and API specific to your application. This information can be found in the vehicles owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

Many products that are carried in North America are not available in other countries and vice versa.

Today we have operating units in over 60 countries. The products carried in each country are not necessarily the same. in the US, Castrol GTX Magnatec 0W-20 and 5W-20 are formulated as full synthetic motor oils. In Canada, Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-20 is formulated as a synthetic blend.

In Canada, Castrol GTX MAGNATEC is available in the following grades and formulations:

SAE 5W-30 – Part Synthetic
SAE 0W-20 – Full Synthetic
SAE 5W-20 – Part Synthetic

*Dexos 1 approved.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Magnatec jug of 5W-20 I saw at Walmart the other day said "Full Synthetic", while Magnatec in 5W-30 and "above" said "Part Synthetic" or something of that nature. Maybe they're undergoing a formula change, and there's some old stock mixed in out in the field?

Edit: nevermind -- I didn't see what you had written in bright yellow, where US differs from Canada.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Edit: nevermind -- I didn't see what you had written in bright yellow, where US differs from Canada.

I didn't see what was in yellow until I read your post. Oops.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
in the US, Castrol GTX Magnatec 0W-20 and 5W-20 are formulated as full synthetic motor oils. In Canada, Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-20 is formulated as a synthetic blend.

Now, what is Castrol's reasoning behind this difference between US and Canada? Any guesses?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
in the US, Castrol GTX Magnatec 0W-20 and 5W-20 are formulated as full synthetic motor oils. In Canada, Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-20 is formulated as a synthetic blend.

Now, what is Castrol's reasoning behind this difference between US and Canada? Any guesses?

Great question, seems odd.

I just wish I could find the 0W-20 in the 5 quart jugs! Heck, I just wish I could find it in the 1 quart bottles at WalMart!!!

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
is the pds also different?

Apparently not here is Canada 5w20:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/06267C60177C358380257FA2005E0F70/$File/BPXE-9R7F67.pdf

USA 5w20:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/06267C60177C358380257FA2005E0F70/$File/BPXE-9R7F67.pdf

USA 0w20: Magnatec

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/10D164C1F907B12C80257FA10058AED3/$File/BPXE-9R7E8H.pdf

Canada 0w20: Magnatec

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/E843374A1EA2E2C780257E70005276E4/$File/BPXE-9YRMYA.pdf

Price point

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Price point

Don't all the GTX Magnatec grades cost the same, regardless if synthetic or blend?

But I can understand how Castrol could make more profit selling blend, and still charging the same price as for synthetic.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Price point

Don't all the GTX Magnatec grades cost the same, regardless if synthetic or blend?

But I can understand how Castrol could make more profit selling blend, and still charging the same price as for synthetic.

I wish it was that simple. Wakefield has to import group III basestocks into Canada and due to the last time I checked there are no group III hydro-cracking plants in North America. So if Wakefield imports group III basestocks lets say from Chevron there is a 6.5% percent tariff when speaking on millions of barrels that is a lot of cost. In an American PCMO market this cost can be spread out on the higher demand versus a substantially smaller Canadian market with a weaker Canadian dollar.

Then again you asked for a guess. Unless someone works for BP financial whom is willing to disclose the actual reason, this is the best I can come up with.

Bumping this up because my local NAPA has a deal on the original Magnatec, I guess there are new SN+ formulations coming and they're getting rid of these.

So my question is, is the 5w20 (which is a synthetic blend in Canada) fine for a 7 - 7.5k interval on a 3.6 Wrangler? My wife dailies it and isn't very hard on it. I usually use a full synthetic but this is about $10 cheaper for the jug + one litre bottle.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back