Car Features You'd Pay To Remove

USB drive for music are outdated...I just stream it from my phone - full interface of YouTube Music on Android Auto.
Cheaper to have a USB drive than to pay for phone service--plus you need to be around a cell tower. Plenty of dead zones around me.

USB might be outdated but still very useful.

electric door locks - I especially don't like having a key option only for the driver's side door.
push start - just why? Yes, I can run into the store with the engine running but I'm not a robber.
electric parking brake
dings bells, chimes, and voices coming from the dash
all-digital gauges
screens that require menu-diving
plastic engine covers that hide the engine

Because it affects me personally? There have been too many rear-enders in my family over the years. Reckless driving is not a victimless crime.
Drive better and/or faster then. If someone is tailgating you, you’re obviously impeding traffic, which is 100x worse than someone tailgating.

Impeding traffic?

What, to the next red light in a quarter of a mile?

Maybe you should be the one driving better. I'm guessing they didn't teach following distances when you learned to drive?

Electric steering. I can’t stand the lack of feedback.
electric door locks - I especially don't like having a key option only for the driver's side door.
push start - just why? Yes, I can run into the store with the engine running but I'm not a robber.
electric parking brake
dings bells, chimes, and voices coming from the dash
all-digital gauges
screens that require menu-diving
plastic engine covers that hide the engine
The following feature's should be outlawed on new vehicle's.
1) Auto up/down on driver's window.

3) Auto start/stop.

Whoever came up with these worthless, annoying feature's should be fired.
I'm beginning to feel like BITOG is populated by a group of grumpy old men who don't drive anything newer than 1970 models. How any one of you can use a computer or smart phone is beyond me. :ROFLMAO:

I'm beginning to feel like BITOG is populated by a group of grumpy old men who don't drive anything newer than 1970 models. How any one of you can use a computer or smart phone is beyond me. :ROFLMAO:
You’re only beginning to think that? You’ve been here since 2010. One would think ya woulda noticed by now that most members go back to 1910 and are still mad about the name change from “bobisthehorseguy” to its current name in 1962.

I don't like leather seats.
I couldn’t agree with you more. I live in Lizard Spit, Arizona 🦎 where the summer temps average 115º In fact, I replaced my front seats was Recaro’s in fabric.
24BFDCD2-88F5-4D82-A8CB-6D65EC517618.jpeg
ED1CE66D-46A9-4F7D-909E-0940B96EAEDA.jpeg

Last edited:
Seatbelt warning. Interestingly, many Ford's have traditionally allowed owners to disable the alerts.
Yes! I care less about the light than I do the chime. I religiously wear mine, but, living in a northern state means I often start then hop out to clean the car off. I don’t need my mother dinging away to tell me to buckle up. On a couple of my Toyota’s I supposedly was able to turn off—only not quite, it could only be programmed to be “off” after it chimed 5 times. ??? Stupid.

At least disabling on my current Toyota was easy, it predates ”fancy” hall switches and all I had to do was twist the wires together. Permanently off now. :). Never got around to figuring out on the other newer 2, the switches had 3 wires and I never felt like taking the time to figure it out (probably 5V, GND and a switched wire, just have to tie high or low, but that would have taken time and energy, and I didn’t have a wiring diagram at the time).

Seatbelt warning. Interestingly, many Ford's have traditionally allowed owners to disable the alerts.
Remember the few model years where the driver’s seat belt had to be buckled or the car would not start? There was some intrusive technology.

The quality is not as good as the physical connection. Always cable!
If quality is not priority, then, yeah.
I make my own "mix tapes" or greatest hits collections by transferring music from my CD's onto USB drives using the FLAC method which supposedly allows the best fidelity. My Mazda CX 5 only allows up to 8 gb per drive port, but has two ports. And I keep a couple of additional USB sticks in the center console so I have a considerable amount of songs available.

My Jaguar only has one USB port but will accept up to a 64 gb stick which holds a LOT of songs. I only have to keep one additional USB stick in that car. I could get even more songs per drive by reducing the bit rate, but quality if preferable over quantity.

Ha-ha. I Googles "Lizard Spit, AZ", expecting to find a suburb of Yuma. I found it's a brand of cleaner for musical gear.

It's too expensive to remove stuff; but they can keep:
Sunroofs. They're only good for ear/nose, bald head and collar bone cancer.
Rain Sensing Wipers
ACC-just gimme the AC
The fabulously garish LED light shows built into the fronts/backs of newer vehicles.
Low profile tires
Touch screens. Place switches aside/around a screen
Built in vacuum cleaners in vans

Back