Car Features You'd Pay To Remove

Shark Fin = Radio/LTE Antenna

Unless it's on a blacked out car that can hide it by blending in a bit better. I really don't know much about newer Autos. The newest one I've ever owned is 2007. o_O

-auto transmission is primarily for the opposite sex and my grandparents
While manual transmissions are fun, it’s the absolute last thing I want to do after working my 10-12 hour shift. When I eventually get a car to go autocross with, it’ll be manual, but I’m still not daily driving it though.

-This post brought to you by the ZF 8 speed superiority gang

i mostly get tailgated on 2 lane country roads by people with headlights that are brighter than the sun and horribly aimed.

That's especially fun in Virginia. The longest stretch of no-passing zone is probably somewhere in Virginia. VDOT has been removing passing zones. I'm not sure what their rationale for that one is.

Total opposite in West Virginia. There, they'll put passing zones in places that Virginia would put a double yellow.

The following feature's should be outlawed on new vehicle's.
1) Auto up/down on driver's window.
My toyota lets me hack into the computer and turn auto up and-or down on and off for each window, and each window switch.

It also lets me turn off the mandatory 3-blinks following a quick tap of the turn signal lever, the back-up beeper, and a few other annoyances. Bliss.

That feature which makes all the windows roll down if you hit the unlock button on the keyfob long enough.

I wish these automakers would design their keyfobs so the buttons won't be accidentally pressed when in a pocket.

This keyfob NEVER had that problem, for some strange reason:

(If it isn't obvious, the buttons are slightly recessed)

1677462838343.png

I hate the electric parking brake on my Mazda.

I don’t want any feature that cripples the car when it breaks. I understand some newer cars control the heat and air thru the touchscreen. That means if the screen breaks the car is seriously compromised. I don’t want that, I want a physical switch I can replace or bypass if needed.

A deer on the side of the road is a good excuse to slow down quickly. Never know if the stupid thing is going to bolt and run in front of your car.
Knock on wood, I'm the only one in my family who hasn't hit one yet. I can count at least 7 that my mom/dad/sister have hit over the years and at least 3 vehicles totaled because of them. 😦😶‍🌫️

Knock on wood, I'm the only one in my family who hasn't hit one yet. I can count at least 7 that my mom/dad/sister have hit over the years and at least 3 vehicles totaled because of them. 😦😶‍🌫️

I saw one on the side of the road a couple years ago and I hit the brakes because I knew it was going to bolt. Sure enough, just as my car came to stop, it ran in front of my car and it's leg caught the edge of my license plate and bent it up.

I just fail to understand how a species so stupid hasn't become extinct yet.

My toyota lets me hack into the computer and turn auto up and-or down on and off for each window, and each window switch.

It also lets me turn off the mandatory 3-blinks following a quick tap of the turn signal lever, the back-up beeper, and a few other annoyances. Bliss.
I love the lane change feature of three signal flashes after tapping the stalk... our two newer cars have this, but the older two lack it, and I wish that they also had it.

This article was in todays Jalopnik email. It touches on some things that have been mentioned here. One thing that I like very much about the Camry is that it's not loaded up with high-tech features. It's still very much a basic car.

I drive a 2007 Malibu. I didn't pay for anything I didn't want.

I hate whatever feature prevents you from using the power windows unless the ignition is on. It's a hot day. You get to your car and open the door. Instead of being able to press the window switches to open the windows and ventilate the interior, you have to reach over and stick the key in and turn the ignition on first. ...
That minor problem is greatly aggravated by pushbutton start, at least in my car.

None-Automatic Headlights and Highbeams, everything should be automatic since the lot round my parts can't decide if it's daytime with their high beams blazing or raining at dusk with no illumination because apparently they let Predator take the wheel. Forcing people to use their lights might actually save some of them and in turn save me some money on insurance.

Last edited:
A friend of mine always starts his vehicle before fastening his seat belt and the seat belt chime is so irritating to me. I’ve worn seat belts since before wearing them was mandatory and I quickly learned to buckle up before even starting a vehicle to avoid that pesky chime. In a sense, maybe that was a part of the governments/manufacturers intent.

None-Automatic Headlights and Highbeams, everything should be automatic since the lot round my parts can't decide if it's daytime with their high beams blazing or raining at dusk with no illumination because apparently they let Predator take the wheel. Forcing people to use their lights might actually save some of them and in turn save me some money on insurance.

GM and Honda do it right, the default setting on the stalk is auto. You can turn it to off during your drive, but the next time you start the vehicle you're back at auto. All vehicles should operate like this, I see cars that obviously have auto headlights driving around without lights because the driver left the knob in the off position.

Back