Car Features You'd Pay To Remove

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
This article was in todays Jalopnik email. It touches on some things that have been mentioned here. One thing that I like very much about the Camry is that it's not loaded up with high-tech features. It's still very much a basic car.

I wouldn’t necessarily pay to remove features however I would like to be the one who decides if that feature will be going into the “new“ vehicle that I am purchasing. I realize that bundling reduces cost as compared to buying particular features individually. But all too often the package comes with too many features that I wouldn’t want. I want more exterior style with less interior fluff in a vehicle.

Sunroof, stop/start, automatic cruise control and lane keep assist. I realize some of those can be turned off on a lot of models but not all. Or they come back on every time you start the car.

I'm convinced LKA and ACC are just not ready for prime time. And I've never understood cutting a hole in an otherwise perfectly good roof, paying extra for the privilege and then dealing with more road noise, less head room and potential leaks.

On the flip side I have friends who love sun roofs and wouldn't by a car without one.

Sunroofs. Been there, done that; I almost never used it. And not at all after the first couple years of ownership. Even the tinted glass panel lets in too much glare.

Overly-intrusive power locks. On my Honda Fit, they seem all too eager to lock themselves yet it takes deliberate input by me to unlock them.

I'd pay to remove my automatic climate control. Just give me back a dial for temp and fan speed. No I do not want 100% fan speed every time I get in the car.
My vehicles have an Auto switch that you can turn off. I assumed all vehicles with auto climate control had this.

Back