Car dealer Sticker markup ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manufacturer's plans for selling EVs have much less dealer involvement than what the process is today. There is a reason for this. Otherwise-I don't see car buying changing much in the meantime. Many consumers have really became "awakened" to the fact that the dealer isn't your friend-no matter how much free bottle water, soft drinks and coffee is offered to you. I am really surprised how many people I know who are paying markups. We can thank the COVID thing for this.

Last edited:
I agree that they should have had some form printed to make the markup neater. I too will give them credit for at least appearing honest with the pricing.

If I was in the market for a new car, I wouldn't be. I'd probably find a < $10k car that would last the couple of years until this settles down. But I'm not a new car guy to begin with.

I would like to buy a new car, I dont need one but as I am getting older the subcompact is getting harder to get out of. Of course I like the 40 mpg vs the 25-30 of a larger vehicle but I wont pay the crazy dealer mark ups on top of the fact that the dealers only have fully loaded top trim models in stock. My guess is that with interest rates going up along with everything else more people like me will give up the idea of buying a new vehicle unless it is really needed not just wanted. I suspect that some of the added mark up is greed but some is really needed to keep the dealer in business. If the avg dealer sold 300-500 cars/mo and now only gets 150/mo from the factory he has to make up the difference somewhere.

I would like to buy a new car, I dont need one but as I am getting older the subcompact is getting harder to get out of. Of course I like the 40 mpg vs the 25-30 of a larger vehicle but I wont pay the crazy dealer mark ups on top of the fact that the dealers only have fully loaded top trim models in stock. My guess is that with interest rates going up along with everything else more people like me will give up the idea of buying a new vehicle unless it is really needed not just wanted. I suspect that some of the added mark up is greed but some is really needed to keep the dealer in business. If the avg dealer sold 300-500 cars/mo and now only gets 150/mo from the factory he has to make up the difference somewhere.

The counter to your thoughts are many dealer are making record profits. So-if the added markup is say $2,000.00-could they make that markup less and still make enough money to pay the bills?

Those addendums are so tacky and unprofessional looking...but at least they're honest and not shoving nitrogen, theft deterrents, paint/interior sealants and other worthless crap down your throat. I just find that insulting.

And this is exactly why I'm paying to rebuild a transmission on a 20 year old car. The car looks like crap, but underneath and under the hood (except the trans of course) is good to go. The wife wants a new car, but she's understanding enough that we're going to ride out this BS wave and keep on plugging with mostly paid for vehicles.

I have never bought, nor would I ever buy, a car above MSRP. I've paid MSRP before for a few of the 15 or so new cars I've bought in the past, but I'd never pay dealer markup. Not a chance. Nothing makes me vacate a dealership quicker than seeing dealer markup on their cars - which seems to be called "Addendum" now days. Hilarious. Who makes up this stuff?

If I absolutely had to have another car I'd be far more willing to pay an inflated used car price to a private party. That's fair game IMO. That said, I'd never pay over original MSRP for a two year old used car with 20K miles on it. I'd bottom feed instead.

The public needs to understand the game can be played both ways. Collectively the public has more power than they realize.

Scott

Last edited:
Some dealers have bigger markups than others and other dealers are not marking up their cars as much. Like anything, you probably have to shop around. The biggest markups are probably on the cars sitting on the lot. I think if you went and ordered a car, there probably wouldn't be much markup if any. That's how lots of people here are flipping their cars, getting top dollar on a trade and then waiting while a new car comes in on order. The closest dealer might not be the cheapest one, you just have to be willing to travel a little.

And this is exactly why I'm paying to rebuild a transmission on a 20 year old car. The car looks like crap, but underneath and under the hood (except the trans of course) is good to go. The wife wants a new car, but she's understanding enough that we're going to ride out this BS wave and keep on plugging with mostly paid for vehicles.

The rebuilt transmission probably costs the same or less than just the additional dealer markup and or extra price that you would pay just to buy a new vehicle. Not to mention insurance. Only real downside to a transmission rebuild is if it's done wrong and the potential wait time if long.

Subaru or N.E. distributor (BOCH) up here has jacked the MSRP on Subaru Crosstrek about 3 grand!

Use to get a compact Subie w/CVT for around 24k sticker now seeing 27k sticker for premium
the you have the Documentation fees that are $400-600 which is ADMU.

I keep that all in mind when shopping. Just haggle that away . If NO deal and I am not "desperate" for a car - I walk.

The rebuilt transmission probably costs the same or less than just the additional dealer markup and or extra price that you would pay just to buy a new vehicle. Not to mention insurance. Only real downside to a transmission rebuild is if it's done wrong and the potential wait time if long.
Correct. I'm lucky in that there's one of the best Honda rebuiders in the southeast not far from me. Super stand up guy and knows the Honda stuff like the back of his hand.

I’m guessing buying below MSRP used to be a thing right? You would always here “below factory/ employee pricing.”

I’m betting that is gone. Many dealers are doing the markup and not ashamed to say it.

It affects all dealers. I was "quoted" $4,100 out the door on a Honda Metropolitan that has a $2,495 MSRP. There are $300 in destination and shipping charges which gets the price up to $2,800 from the manufacturer. Supply and demand I guess. There was a $1,000 "surcharge".

Those addendums are so tacky and unprofessional looking...but at least they're honest and not shoving nitrogen, theft deterrents, paint/interior sealants and other worthless crap down your throat. I just find that insulting.
i totally agree!
I rather have the dealer come right out and say "Listen, we dont have much inventory, and the few cars we do have have to carry the dealership. So I am upcharging 5k on your vehicles price."

I also hat the fake stuff:
pinstripe for 1000 dollars.
anti rust spray for 10o0 dollars.
Scotchguard for 500 dollars
1000 "doc fee" etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back